A Spirited Perfect Ten

Animaniac93-98

It's not like the rest of the event--particularly the merch--remains a shining example of taste, restraint and faithfulness to the source material.

What? You don't think Slave Leia Minnie merch is faithful to the original trilogy and appropriate for a family theme park? ;)

Anyone excited to see Cinderella? Yeah, didn't think so.

Cinderella itself? Maybe not, but it does have the new Frozen short attached to it so it'll still be a license to print Disney Dollars.

hopemax

and the first of what likely will be a huge selection of Co-op stuff, namely some Kevin Kidney tiki bowl for $24.99 (I believe I heard a CM yell to another to put one on hold for this site's No. 1 poster of all time, my pal and yours, the @EPCOT Explorer.)

Seeing stuff like that wind up at the outlets so quickly tells you that it will only stay on shelves at WDW for a very limited time. They do not intend to keep selling it beyond a period of months when they can reasonably expect every crazy Lifestyler, fanboi blogger, OCDer will buy rather than wait.

If it's the one I think it is, it actually predates the Co-Op. It was released June 2013, according to Kevin's blog. There were a few other pieces released about that time...a Tiki mug, and the Pele and Uti statues. These were done for Disneyland's Tiki Room 50th anniversary. They used to stock these pieces at Art of Disney, and moved them when the Co-Op opened. When I was Googling just now, somebody said the bowl was originally designed for MK's 40th anniversary. If that's true, then the creation almost feels more like an add-on to DL stock to say "see, we're not just selling DL stuff at WDW, we've got WDW stuff too." So the discontinuing of that piece may not be indicative of how fast co-op stock gets updated.

asianway

Spirited Thursday Night Quickees:

I'm sure you've all heard (or read) that Erin Wallace is gone from WDW Co., off to run the second-largest chain of early child education centers or some such place based in a state that only a Wolverine or a unionized auto worker could love.

Here's what you may not know: she's been quite unhappy, and vocal about it, in her last position and was told a while back that she was on her last contract with Disney. Unlike many who would be glad to retire in the sun and enjoy the millions of dollars in stock she has amassed working in the swamps at the resort her daddy helped build, Wallace wasn't ready for retirement.

Speaking of which, if you talk to folks in the business what you hear about Disney P&R execs is quite scary. A whole generation of execs from George Kalogridis to Karl Holz to Bill Ernest to Phil Holmes are at (or close) Disney's point of being shoved out due to age, on top of Wallace and Meg Crofton leaving. And there isn't a NEXTGEN program of talent below them. If Disney insists on simply moving chess pieces around the same board, then the company will be stuck with a group of middle managers elevated to positions that they aren't remotely capable of handling. Sounds about right.

Will Disney finally bring some new blood ... outside blood into the asylum of Pixie Dust and MAGIC Bands? Stay tuned.

Also stay tuned to see whether succession to the top spot at Disney is on the minds of the audience in San Francisco in March at Disney's annual shareholders gathering. While Wall Street may be enamored with Bob 'The Acquirer' Iger, neither Jay Rasulo nor Tom Staggs gets the analysts hot and bothered and Iger is acting like it doesn't matter and that he'll simply get to pick one. He really shouldn't jump to that conclusion.

OK, so is the Lifestyler debate/discussion over? I was really enjoying it. And actually agreeing with much of what both @flynnibus and @WDWFigment were saying. Far more interesting than talking about the pathetic state PotC is in or PPF's new queue that takes the part of @TalkingHead 's beloved quail tile restrooms and fanboi pickup locale.

So, DCL is getting all Frozen over? Now, really, did you guys/gals not see that one coming like a giant iceberg in the middle of a pond?

Had to run into my mall earlier tonight and stopped by the Disney outlet, for my semi-weekly 'what is WDW P&R retail trying to dump now?' Anything with the year 2014 on it (I still don't get why anyone would buy that stuff at half off ... maybe 75-90% off if you visited in '14 and wanted something) as well as all those nice dishes from Phil Holmes New Fantasyland Boutique and Shrine To His Own Amazing Teeth Whitening ... and the first of what likely will be a huge selection of Co-op stuff, namely some Kevin Kidney tiki bowl for $24.99 (I believe I heard a CM yell to another to put one on hold for this site's No. 1 poster of all time, my pal and yours, the @EPCOT Explorer.)

Seeing stuff like that wind up at the outlets so quickly tells you that it will only stay on shelves at WDW for a very limited time. They do not intend to keep selling it beyond a period of months when they can reasonably expect every crazy Lifestyler, fanboi blogger, OCDer will buy rather than wait.

Wasn't impressed by Soup and Salad Sandra's lame a-r-s-e piece on people dying at WDW. Sandy, baby, if you want to be hard-hitting why not focus on real safety issues that could affect guests and/or cast? Newsprint is pricey and wasting on people whose time sadly expired when they were at Dizzy World ain't newsworthy by any stretch.

Speaking of lame, the new(??) censorship filter on these boards is a bit much. Are we now going to censor any/every word that some special person finds offensive?

You know what I like most about the BAH coming down at The Park Soon To Be Renamed Something Else With Both Disney and Adventure in it? That it slowly will fade away as a discussion topic and will be relegated to the trash pile of Disney fandome/history where it should burn in hell.

Anyone excited to see Cinderella? Yeah, didn't think so.

Speaking of which, Into the Woods flamed out very quickly.

OK, so I was supposed to think Jason Surrell was talented and now I'm supposed to think Jason Grandt (who?) is too? I guess that's today's lesson from the Disney Twitverse.

I really like what I'm hearing about Disney's plans for sprucing up DLP and making it ''shine like new'' (a quote from someone high up the food chain) in time for its 25th Anniversary. Funny what playing hardball can get you ... in this case, exactly what the folks in Burbank wanted all along.

Oh, and HKDL ... nah, we'll leave that for another time as I need to fly.
Jason Grandt has talent and real appreciation for WDW history. He's one guy I'd like to get his take on the state of WDI. The problem is he's been relegated to doing set dressings for meet n' greet factories. I guess we know what he'll be doing the next year and a half....

Surrell would be a has been if he ever was

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Wasn't impressed by Soup and Salad Sandra's lame a-r-s-e piece on people dying at WDW. Sandy, baby, if you want to be hard-hitting why not focus on real safety issues that could affect guests and/or cast? Newsprint is pricey and wasting on people whose time sadly expired when they were at Dizzy World ain't newsworthy by any stretch.
Out of curiosity what were some of the safety issues you feel like she should focus on? I'd be curious to see what others think as well. This is something I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about because I feel like we (as a society) go overboard on safety, but maybe there are things that need addressing. I'd be real interested to find out what some of the safety issues CMs face are because as a guest, I'm sure there are many things I haven't thought about.

asianway

I assumed that was fanboi speculation. Most (all?) of the Hoopla actors were Equity--big bucks saved by cutting that show. It's not like the rest of the event--particularly the merch--remains a shining example of taste, restraint and faithfulness to the source material.
Only the two hoopla actors were equity. But Tim is right it isn't consistent. DJ parties are ok but they build Baloo a jungle backdrop so he doesn't appear in front of a real jungle. Plus it's a colossal waste of $$$ and real estate on the character side.

From what I've heard of Cinderella, it unfortunately has hitched it's star to the overly CGI-ied wagon that Maleficent rode shotgun on. Still, I'm holding out some hope - you've got Kenneth Branaugh directing, and while he seems to be mostly a director for hire these days (Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, I'm looking at you), he's got serious chops (Henry V, Hamlet), and Cate Blanchett as the wicked stepmother (are they calling her Lady Tremaine in the film?) should be a riot.

WildcatDen

Well Bar language is appropriate for a bar. If people choose to bring children into that environment, that's something they have to expect and be prepared for.
I don't buy it. "Bar Language" is appropriate for people who always use "Bar Language" regardless of their present location. . . That said, Bar and Grills are a different beast than a simple 'tie yourself to the stool' bar.

Promotion time. Google Tim Hawkins bit on the 100 Christian cuss words. Pretty funny stuff. Saw him in concert this past year. Funniest comedy show I have ever attended and clean to boot. . .

twebber55

I don't buy it. "Bar Language" is appropriate for people who always use "Bar Language" regardless of their present location. . . That said, Bar and Grills are a different beast than a simple 'tie yourself to the stool' bar.

Promotion time. Google Tim Hawkins bit on the 100 Christian cuss words. Pretty funny stuff. Saw him in concert this past year. Funniest comedy show I have ever attended and clean to boot. . .
yeah he s a funny guy

Rodan75

It's a shame too. Their movies have gotten so much better in recent years.

...So when does the buyout happen and they convert Avatar into How to Train your Dragon?

I can't believe for a second that TWDC will want to absorb DWA. I think it is far more likely that a Chinese co will pick them up in a fire sale.

PhotoDave219

Yes but if you bring your child into a bar, thats the environment you're exposing them to.

71jason

Only the two hoopla actors were equity. But Tim is right it isn't consistent. DJ parties are ok but they build Baloo a jungle backdrop so he doesn't appear in front of a real jungle. Plus it's a colossal waste of $$$ and real estate on the character side.

I know for a fact the Emperor was Equity as well. At least his voice. Thought I recognized a couple other faces, too. In any case, I have to figure a lot of rehearsal time as well.

71jason

Wait!!! Florida Laws allow for Children to be seated up at the Bar???? Really?

No. However, WDW is not as good about enforcing the law as Universal, some (but apparently not all) of its third party operators, or other local bars in the area.

Some might call that a fault of management training by TDO. Are you really all that shocked by that?

asianway

I know for a fact the Emperor was Equity as well. At least his voice. Thought I recognized a couple other faces, too. In any case, I have to figure a lot of rehearsal time as well.
I think it depends on the year. 2012, the performer was character. Voice may have been equity. 2013 had the dual emperors so one or both may have been.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No. However, WDW is not as good about enforcing the law as Universal, some (but apparently not all) of its third party operators, or other local bars in the area.

Some might call that a fault of management training by TDO. Are you really all that shocked by that?

Disney will continue until the fines exceed the additional profit by using bar seating for kids, Up here in my state a under 21 with or WITHOUT alcohol at the bar is good for an IMMEDIATE suspension (as in RIGHT NOW kick everyone out of the establishment and the booze is seized) of your liquor license and you can petition in 90 days to get it back.

Selling to under 21's is also good for a criminal record for the CLERK and judges routinely convict up here as the state booze cops run stings all the time.

asianway

Disney will continue until the fines exceed the additional profit by using bar seating for kids, Up here in my state a under 21 with or WITHOUT alcohol at the bar is good for an IMMEDIATE suspension (as in RIGHT NOW kick everyone out of the establishment and the booze is seized) of your liquor license and you can petition in 90 days to get it back.

Selling to under 21's is also good for a criminal record for the CLERK and judges routinely convict up here as the state booze cops run stings all the time.
I'm sure Disney mgmt will be right there in court having the clerks back

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom