AVATAR land construction progress

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One thing that I have always been wondering ever since the leaked blueprints first emerged. Why does the one part of the boat ride go 'inside' the one part of the large show building? Are people thinking that load/unload is taking place there? Or does anyone think that there will be a dedicated "night time" section of the ride? I assume that due to the nature of the bioluminescence of the "natural flora" of Pandora, this boat ride will be quite a different experience visually depending on whether you ride it during the day or at night. I was thinking that for those riding during the day, there would possibly be an indoor section that would act as a permanent night time section of the ride. Maybe this would be one area where the advanced AA Na'vi characters will be staged. You might not want them out in the Florida rain for very long.
It also could provide an interesting visual for people either waiting in line or exiting the ride. I always liked how the People Mover went through other rides and you got a quick glimpse of the inside. Same with the railroad and Splash Mountain. No clue if the rides/queues will even be viewable from each other, but it could be cool.

I'm really curious to see how the show buildings are developed on this project. It could make all the difference between an OK experience and a truly immersive land. We know from the concept art the outside will be stunning, but I can't help but picture the inside of the Soarin show building where the queue is which leaves something to be desired. They need to really work all of the details because (fair or not) Avatar will be compared to Potter and Potter 2.0 and both are immersive with a great level of attention to detail.

flyerjab

It also could provide an interesting visual for people either waiting in line or exiting the ride. I always liked how the People Mover went through other rides and you got a quick glimpse of the inside. Same with the railroad and Splash Mountain. No clue if the rides/queues will even be viewable from each other, but it could be cool.

I'm really curious to see how the show buildings are developed on this project. It could make all the difference between an OK experience and a truly immersive land. We know from the concept art the outside will be stunning, but I can't help but picture the inside of the Soarin show building where the queue is which leaves something to be desired. They need to really work all of the details because (fair or not) Avatar will be compared to Potter and Potter 2.0 and both are immersive with a great level of attention to detail.

Could not agree more with that bolded sentence from your post. I love how the TTA snakes above and through other rides, giving you glimpses of other things that are happening (i.e., Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear). It makes for a great kinetic experience. I love when rides are incorporated in that manner.

I am wondering how much of the outside track of the boat ride in Pandora will be viewable by other guests in that part of the park. I know that @doctornick and I have both previously speculated about Pandora having a walking trail with advanced AAs that mimics the walking trails in Africa and Asia in DAK. I thought that it would be neat to do that and have a portion of the trail pass near where the boat ride is. It would make for some excellent simpatico.

twebber55

7188.jpg

I think this picture is key...I believe the ride will go under these mountains

Kman101

I really think this could be a breathtaking addition not just to the AK, but to the whole resort. I'm hoping it's to the standard or beyond of the Tower of Terror or Splash Mountain etc, something that once you've experienced it you just have to tell everyone about.

I think it needs to be. I hope it is. I don't want to see a basic flight simulator (like Soarin', which serves it's purpose) or a bare bones plastic ride (hi there, Little Mermaid) or one show scene (hi there, Dwarfs Mine Train). I want complete immersion and be left feeling wowed by this. I think the environment itself will be "wow". I'm just cautiously optimistic about the rides. They've burned us on rides before but I'm remaining hopeful.

JordanNite

I really think this could be a breathtaking addition not just to the AK, but to the whole resort. I'm hoping it's to the standard or beyond of the Tower of Terror or Splash Mountain etc, something that once you've experienced it you just have to tell everyone about.

I believe it when i see a building standing up that they're going to build anything.

Also the 2017 date - concidering the massive amount of time it took them to build the lame Fantasy Land expansion, i wouldn't hold much credence to that date.

JordanNite

I'll say it again - Disney needs a fall in attendance figures for them to do anything. We saw it over at California Adventure, where they only invested once the park numbers were falling.

That's what the current honchos look at, the bottom line - numbers, and profits. Nothing else. They aren't looking at how well the parks are doing, new attractions, customer satsisfaction, etc - this team just look at numbers. If they see numbers fall, that's when they step in - never anytime other.

Sure they have an annual budget, and they scan scrape some money together to slowly build a fantasy land expansion, that in no way should have taken that long, and a lick of paint here and there, but no major investment that can only come from the top.

They don't even have the foresight to try and go for double digit type growth - nope. Just as long as the trajectory of the graph keeps going up, even 2% - they're happy. No love for the parks.

But as soon as the parks fall in attendance they will act. How long has this Avatar attraction dragged for now? Before a spade has even been put into the ground? Nonsensical.

Zac Skellington

I believe it when i see a building standing up that they're going to build anything.

Also the 2017 date - concidering the massive amount of time it took them to build the lame Fantasy Land expansion, i wouldn't hold much credence to that date.
You're right, they aren't building anything. The suits decided they could reduce their bonuses by throwing millions of dollars worth of concrete and steel into a hole in the ground.:rolleyes:

Tom

Beta Return

They pour more concrete in a week on this site than they poured in all of FLE. Since they don't have any work restrictions from being in the middle of a park, they're able to work much faster.

Kman101

Considering the amount of whining about the construction walls in Downtown Disney, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and soon to be Hollywood Studios, nope, they aren't doing anything. Granted, is it what many want? No. Is it at the supposed speed people think it should be (and no one is debating they drag their feet a bit)? No. But they are doing things and improving on the parks. And may I add a "finally" to that.

Kman101

He has a few points but why does it always have to regress to Universal vs. Disney? I get comparisons are going to happen but it's getting old. Disney is actually doing things. Just not at the speed we want them to (or projects you may not want). Do most of us know how construction works? No. I mean, yes they appear to take forever, but if no one "knew" they spread out costs over several years, I seriously doubt a lot of this back and forth would happen. Do people expect it erected overnight? The problem is we knew of Avatar years before they bothered to start construction. 3 years seems to be the norm for them with construction, why is everyone acting that this is some surprise? They started this year and it's going to be done in 2017. The problem is we've known of this since what, 2011?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom