The Spirited Back Nine ...

Soarin' Over Pgh

Cleveland has great tax credits, but you would not believe how people whined about traffic disruption. It was downright embarrassing.

Same with pittsburgh. Tom cruises last movie that I can't be bothered to remember the name of, the dark knight rises, and currently/most recently, the newest jake gyllenhall (sp) movie about nyc and the Bronx, amongst countless others have left people here griping.

However they really didn't need to drag the flying bat mobile down the one most used, main street in downtown Pittsburgh during the 4:00 rush hour, detouring every bus route, blocking car garages and bringing the city to a grinding halt....on a Friday afternoon. In August. In 100 degree weather. With fake snow everywhere.

People made a fuss, but rightfully so.

It brought lots of revenue to the city but at the cost of its citizens. I'd imagine the same goes for yall in Cleveland. (And congrats to your football team being decent this year, no hard feelings)

bhg469

Same with pittsburgh. Tom cruises last movie that I can't be bothered to remember the name of, the dark knight rises, and currently/most recently, the newest jake gyllenhall (sp) movie about nyc and the Bronx, amongst countless others have left people here griping.

However they really didn't need to drag the flying bat mobile down the one most used, main street in downtown Pittsburgh during the 4:00 rush hour, detouring every bus route, blocking car garages and bringing the city to a grinding halt....on a Friday afternoon. In August. In 100 degree weather. With fake snow everywhere.

People made a fuss, but rightfully so.

It brought lots of revenue to the city but at the cost of its citizens. I'd imagine the same goes for yall in Cleveland. (And congrats to your football team being decent this year, no hard feelings)
When they filmed bruce almighty here it was mostly helicopter shots. Thank goodness because that sounds like a nightmare... Not that bruce almighty had many action scenes...

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Now reporting live from the worlds most famous parking garage.

View attachment 74981

Kids asked why the ceiling is so high :$

It's very tall, but this is in part a security issue. Higher ceilings, more openness, the easier to monitor and it becomes more of a deterrent for negative activities. That's and I need a place to park my monster truck.

Ignohippo

This site, where you have over 2000 posts, put up over half a dozen pictures and 3 paragraphs of copy re: the opening. It was also all over Twitter, as was mentioned repeatedly a few pages back.

Yeah, and?

It should be on this site. After all, this is a "WDW NEWS Message Board." The parking garage cost tens of millions, is the first phase of the Disney Springs addition, and is desperately needed. Why wouldn't that be covered on this board? Six pics and 3 paragraphs is certainly not a very big deal.

Not sure what the problem with that is, or why that would be unusual?

Nemo14

Not really following this, but are you saying I should totally have ignored the garage opening?
I don't think he meant it should not have been mentioned on this site, but the fact that it was celebrated in the manner that it was is kind of over the top. Is it really a "celebration-worthy" moment to be the first one there, or should the fact that a much-needed parking garage is ready (almost) be news-worthy enough?

71jason

I agree. I think arguing about the garage gave it more bandwidth than if we just looked at the pics, shrugged, and moved on.

Not discussing the garage itself so much as the coverage of the garage opening--a subtle yet profound difference. I think the online reaction ties directly into a recurring theme of all nine Spirited threads--specifically, the mental/psychological state of many dedicated Disney fans. I daresay that is the underlying theme at the heart of all of the Spirited threads.

spacemt354

Chili's
Not discussing the garage itself so much as the coverage of the garage opening--a subtle yet profound difference. I think the online reaction ties directly into a recurring theme of all nine Spirited threads--specifically, the mental/psychological state of many dedicated Disney fans. I daresay that is the underlying theme at the heart of all of the Spirited threads.

I just think it gets a little overblown sometimes. "it" being the discussion of Disney fans mental states. If some guy wants to be the first to park in a parking garage, to each his own. It doesn't really affect me to discuss how much mental health assistance dedicated Disney fans need.

Everybody has their own hobbies and some take their hobbies to the extreme. Just because I personally wouldn't care if I was the first to park (and it seems like many others on here wouldn't as well) doesn't mean the people who would do it are all mentally-ill. Just different interests.

And clearly there are people out there who care about this stuff because Disney had things prepared. The only gripe I had was that a garage got a "first to park" pin, which I thought would be reserved for attractions. But the fact that it got that treatment didn't ruin my day at all.

Hopefully this doesn't come off wrong, but before we label other people's mental states based on their dedication to Disney, we should self-reflect on our own mental states regarding how much we care about what the dedicated Disney folk do.

Goofyernmost

It is amazing how much importance has been put on the coverage of the garage opening. Almost as much over-reaction then those that think that anything or any coverage of it was shameful. What I'd like to know is what harm did it do. If you didn't participate, then it really isn't any of your business nor does it impact your life in any way. To say that it is being treated like the opening of an E ticket is absurd. It was minor coverage of a minor human interest story. Nothing more. The gross overreaction to it was worse then what actually happened. Must be make a mountain out of a molehill season.

Disneyhead'71

I don't know, I have been really down on Disney for over a decade now. Nothing they have done at WDW has thouroughly impressed me since ToT. And I know that the parking garage is no big deal, but as a local who has needed/wanted to go to DtD for a few specific things over this past year, the news of the parking garage opening made me feel like

280sw007883.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom