The Spirited Back Nine ...

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Yes, well.... You don't actually have to see these people. These people are not active members of your community. This is not your problem. You'll never have to run into any of these idiots at the supermarket or getting gas or at a bar when you're trying to scam on a 25-year-old....

There's a ridiculous amount of people who live their entire life here in the Orlando area just seeking attention for what ever they do it Disney. Everything from saving maelstrom to saving off kilter to saving the big hats… Somehow it's all about them. Somehow it is no longer about families and happiness and I'm international themepark destination… Instead it has become about the individual who is celebrating being the first person inside a not yet completed parking garage.

I've drank many a beer with many a cast member and had conversations about this very topic and these very people. It's like a support group… (@71jason, maybe we can become a 501c3?!)

But I think you're missing the forest for the trees here. You are singling out one particular act. I simply added to the portfolio of behaviors… And that is the problem. Not one particular thing, all of them added up together.
I get that. And you are right, I do not have to deal with this problem. Lifestylers are not an issue for me, but I don't live in their stomping grounds.

But others have pointed it out. It's a thing with society as a whole, and it's not new in my mind. There are groups devoted to obsessing over nearly everything. I never understood people following the Greatful Dead around the country, selling bootlegs or drugs as a "job", obsessing over their music. I guess at least they had a lot of drugs to help them out, but it still happened. People would argue about who was the "biggest" Dead fan, who had seen the most shows, traveled the farthest, etc.

What is changed now is the transmission of information about it. I do not do Twitter, so I don't watch the social media postings of all of the lifestylers 24/7. Maybe the idea of Deadheads would have driven me insane if I had to deal with them on a daily basis. As you mentioned, I don't live near the WDW lifestyler Mecca, so I do not run into them all the time. They are basically a non-entity to me. If I chose to, I guess I could follow them more closely, and maybe it would bother me more than it does.

fillerup

Name calling is usually the last resort of someone that really doesn't have a strong rebuttal and is pretty much the same as saying... "Says you!"

Admittedly, it's presumptuous of me to try to do your thinking for you - but don't you think it's true that name calling is usually the first resort of those who lack a good argument for their position?

The name calling and belittling is typically the go to strategy for those who are intellectually lazy, intellectually weak, or both.

BrianLo

21st Annual TEA Thea award recipients. Diagon Alley got recognition, but so did Bistrot Chez Remy (where I had lunch on Saturday):

Ohhh! Any light on spoilers reviews of the area and kitchen calamity? I don't think we've heard from anyone here who has been to it yet!

Last edited:

Ignohippo

I dint take all the comments as complaining. More as observations of the society we live in where something as mundane as a parking garage opening is celebrated. If it had a more satirical tone to it, that would make sense, but it seemed quite serious and they seemed quite proud. Its just silly, like when a kids soccer league doesnt keep score so there are no losers and everybody gets a trophy no matter what.

It's the first phase of an almost billion dollar project and the opening of a much-needed parking garage that probably cost them $50 million to build and was completed very quickly. That garage will make things much, much easier for the hundreds of thousands of people who will visit DTD in the future.

They're not supposed to try to get publicity for its opening?! It isn't like they're making commercials advertising the opening of the garage for heaven's sakes. It was a small social-media opportunity to help get the word out that the garage is open.

Goofyernmost

Admittedly, it's presumptuous of me to try to do your thinking for you - but don't you think it's true that name calling is usually the first resort of those who lack a good argument for their position?

The name calling and belittling is typically the go to strategy for those who are intellectually lazy, intellectually weak, or both.
No, you are absolutely correct. I didn't word that properly, but, I have made the correction. Thanks for pointing that out.

Kman101

I'll post my full trip report over the weekend in the DLP forum with all my thoughts on Rat, Newport Bay, meal plan, restaurants, general resort condition, day-trip to Paris and the Christmas offerings. :)

I personally am looking forward to reading that. I'm really looking forward to getting to Disneyland Paris in the near future.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It's the first phase of an almost billion dollar project and the opening of a much-needed parking garage that probably cost them $50 million to build and was completed very quickly. That garage will make things much, much easier for the hundreds of thousands of people who will visit DTD in the future.

They're not supposed to try to get publicity for its opening?! It isn't like they're making commercials advertising the opening of the garage for heaven's sakes. It was a small social-media opportunity to help get the word out that the garage is open.
I honestly understand what your saying. I didnt intend to seem argumentative. Should they get publicity for it? Sure. But if that was a Disney-approved event then they deserve to get laughed at. One, for such a lame low budget event. Two, as previously mentioned, its not even fully open yet so why try and make an event out of it? Makes it appear desperate fro sme type of news, even though we all know they are not. A simple mention on Twitter/FB should do just fine. When the whole things is done, yes, go all out an have an event for it.

On the other hand, if this is just a few people throwing their own event for it, nobody was really complaining, just discussing the psychological behavior that people exhibit in todays world for the desire to be "first" for something, regardless of how trivial it is. Should I tweet pictures every morning when I open my mail as if its a celebration? In the end, they are not harming anyone, just inflating their ego, and if they need to do it by making a pin to celebrate parking, thats extremely odd, but so be it.

PhotoDave219

I honestly understand what your saying. I didnt intend to seem argumentative. Should they get publicity for it? Sure. But if that was a Disney-approved event then they deserve to get laughed at. One, for such a lame low budget event. Two, as previously mentioned, its not even fully open yet so why try and make an event out of it? Makes it appear desperate fro sme type of news, even though we all know they are not. A simple mention on Twitter/FB should do just fine. When the whole things is done, yes, go all out an have an event for it.

On the other hand, if this is just a few people throwing their own event for it, nobody was really complaining, just discussing the psychological behavior that people exhibit in todays world for the desire to be "first" for something, regardless of how trivial it is. Should I tweet pictures every morning when I open my mail as if its a celebration? In the end, they are not harming anyone, just inflating their ego, and if they need to do it by making a pin to celebrate parking, thats extremely odd, but so be it.

Apparently everything needs to be celebrated. Everything needs to be congratulated.

Such is the narcissistic society that we live in.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Apparently everything needs to be celebrated.
disneyparks09promo.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom