The Spirited Back Nine ...

PhotoDave219

I don't tweet, but I do catch up with EDP445 on youtube. Loved his analysis of the Eagles-Packers game Sunday.

So you don't follow Crossing Broad. (That's slappy, I think deitch named him that)

Anyways, Phillies Twitter > Disney Twitter. Well in 2008, now both sides are sitting there whining that management hates them…

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Yeah but its not full open yet either. Its this whole "I am First" and "Show off in Social Media" mentality that sure as hell wasnt here 10 years ago. Its not any one thing... Its all the things added up.
I'm just not sure how different it is from something like this, which has been done for many, many years to celebrate things just as mundane as a parking garage:
September-24-1979-Ribbon-Cutting-Ceremony.jpg

Ignohippo

I'm just not sure how different it is from something like this, which has been done for many, many years to celebrate things just as mundane as a parking garage:
September-24-1979-Ribbon-Cutting-Ceremony.jpg

Amen.

For the life of me, I'm not sure why so many people are griping about a tiny bit of goofy publicity for a parking garage. What's the big deal?

There's plenty to gripe about. Getting bent out of shape because they publicized the first car parking in a new garage (which is incredibly welcomed and was built and opened in breakneck speed) is simply clutching at straws for things to complain about.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
nothing about that setup looked like something that would have come out of Official Disney Media or anything. The button looked homemade (to me), the balloons looked like something bought at Publix, and the board on the easel parking cone looked pretty homemade as well.
Sadly, that description is pretty accurate for something Disney would do nowadays. (looking at you, Story Time with Belle, and your lame cardboard cut-outs)

FigmentJedi

As part of the whole World's Fair nostalgia theme at Destination D, they actually brought out Mold-A-Rama machines with Disney figures.

tumblr_nfea1wzzCY1qa2r95o1_1280.jpg

You have no idea how bad I want this thing to make a come-back in the parks. I'd totally take Mold-A-Rama machines over penny squishers. There's just something so wonderful about that warm waxy smell when they come out.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
None of those people in turn actively seek attention on social media for cutting a ribbon.
No, they didn't since social media didn't exist. But the Newspaper felt it large enough of an occasion to send a photographer and reporter most likely, and print it in their local newspaper.

But these days, it's standard.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/ribboncutting

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
There's plenty to gripe about. Getting bent out of shape because they publicized the first car parking in a new garage (which is incredibly welcomed and was built and opened in breakneck speed) is simply clutching at straws for things to complain about.

I dint take all the comments as complaining. More as observations of the society we live in where something as mundane as a parking garage opening is celebrated. If it had a more satirical tone to it, that would make sense, but it seemed quite serious and they seemed quite proud. Its just silly, like when a kids soccer league doesnt keep score so there are no losers and everybody gets a trophy no matter what.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
What is the dress code for being the first person to park in a parking garage exactly?
It was a library they were celebrating in that photo, not the PARKING LOT of the library. An ACTUAL event that people cared enough about and respected the occasion enough to dress better than blue jeans and a t shirt, even the children look nice. If they were standing at the entrance of the parking lot and celebrating the ability for people to park their cars, Id be questioning them as well.

PhotoDave219

No, they didn't since social media existed. But the Newspaper felt it large enough of an occasion to send a photographer and reporter most likely, and print it in their local newspaper.

But these days, it's standard.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/ribboncutting

Yes, well.... You don't actually have to see these people. These people are not active members of your community. This is not your problem. You'll never have to run into any of these idiots at the supermarket or getting gas or at a bar when you're trying to scam on a 25-year-old....

There's a ridiculous amount of people who live their entire life here in the Orlando area just seeking attention for what ever they do it Disney. Everything from saving maelstrom to saving off kilter to saving the big hats… Somehow it's all about them. Somehow it is no longer about families and happiness and I'm international themepark destination… Instead it has become about the individual who is celebrating being the first person inside a not yet completed parking garage.

I've drank many a beer with many a cast member and had conversations about this very topic and these very people. It's like a support group… (@71jason, maybe we can become a 501c3?!)

But I think you're missing the forest for the trees here. You are singling out one particular act. I simply added to the portfolio of behaviors… And that is the problem. Not one particular thing, all of them added up together.

PhotoDave219

Amen.

For the life of me, I'm not sure why so many people are griping about a tiny bit of goofy publicity for a parking garage. What's the big deal?

As I've said many times… I understand how it gets lost in the chatter… It's not the one particular behavior.

It's all the behaviors added up.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It was a library they were celebrating in that photo, not the PARKING LOT of the library. An ACTUAL event that people cared enough about and respected the occasion enough to dress better than blue jeans and a t shirt, even the children look nice. If they were standing at the entrance of the parking lot and celebrating the ability for people to park their cars, Id be questioning them as well.

http://www.kltv.com/story/26152503/ribbon-cut-for-new-downtown-parking-garage
http://www.beverlyma.gov/event/ribbon-cutting-ceremony-for-mbta-parking-garage-august-1st/
http://discoverthedistrict.com/news...il-space-ribbon-cutting-scheduled-for-friday/
vagarage.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As part of the whole World's Fair nostalgia theme at Destination D, they actually brought out Mold-A-Rama machines with Disney figures.

tumblr_nfea1wzzCY1qa2r95o1_1280.jpg

You have no idea how bad I want this thing to make a come-back in the parks. I'd totally take Mold-A-Rama machines over penny squishers. There's just something so wonderful about that warm waxy smell when they
come out.

Those were incredibly cool!

PrincessNelly_NJ

It takes all of this to make a button and some balloons? Man, my mom went through a whole lot more than I thought she did when I was back in high school, making buttons with all the athletic team's pictures on them for their parents. I'll ask them when I'm back home for Thanksgiving where she had it manufactured, and how the proposal process went.

Come to think of it, I guess we're teaching our kids a lot about business these days.
61CbGx6AHvL.jpg
I think you should buy one of these and sell "Proud Member of the Gloom & Doom Club" pins. I know a few people who would gladly wear one! :hilarious:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Well d*mn...touche, sir. lol. But I will say that the parking garage in that pic actually looks complete and has a nice shiny digital sign, and only ONE person is wearing blue jeans. Perhaps that parking deck is worthy of a Modern MArvel special for all we know!!! jk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom