Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

ProfSavage

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but if the Uni/Disney contract does indeed say something to the effect of, "If 'Character X' was ever a member of The Avengers, they cannot appear in an American Disney park east of the Mississippi", then Guardians of the Galaxy will never appear in Disney World. The GotG were made honorary members of The Avengers in the late 1970's. Now if Disney really wants a GotG attraction at WDW, I'm sure they've considered lawyering-up by saying, "But they were only 'honorary members', not 'real members'!" I don't know if it's worth the cost, but just sayin'.

Oh, and here's my source: Marvel's official list of every superhero who has ever, at one time or another, been a member of The Avengers: http://marvel.com/universe/Avengers

Relevant quote from the page: "the group attracted associates such as the aging speedster Whizzer, Wonder Man, the robotic Jocasta, the time-spanning 31st century Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ms. Marvel (later Warbird), all of whom helped the team oppose the mad man-god Korvac and his wife Carina."

Not to beat this dead, decaying horse of the Marvel contract BUT...

The Guardians of the 60s/70s are not the same iteration of the Guardians rebooted in 2007/8 by Dan Abnett in which the runaway hit of the movie is based on so technically... THESE Guardians have never been members of The Avengers proper.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but if the Uni/Disney contract does indeed say something to the effect of, "If 'Character X' was ever a member of The Avengers, they cannot appear in an American Disney park east of the Mississippi", then Guardians of the Galaxy will never appear in Disney World. The GotG were made honorary members of The Avengers in the late 1970's. Now if Disney really wants a GotG attraction at WDW, I'm sure they've considered lawyering-up by saying, "But they were only 'honorary members', not 'real members'!" I don't know if it's worth the cost, but just sayin'.

Oh, and here's my source: Marvel's official list of every superhero who has ever, at one time or another, been a member of The Avengers: http://marvel.com/universe/Avengers

Relevant quote from the page: "the group attracted associates such as the aging speedster Whizzer, Wonder Man, the robotic Jocasta, the time-spanning 31st century Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ms. Marvel (later Warbird), all of whom helped the team oppose the mad man-god Korvac and his wife Carina."

Disney seems to already be testing the waters on this since they have already done the movie preview and had GotG characters at DHS.

PMC0849

Disney seems to already be testing the waters on this since they have already done the movie preview and had GotG characters at DHS.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Guardians show up more and more in the parks in the near future, which I would love.

Also, me knowing that offhand probably explains why I am still single...

I knew that offhand too, and I am married. My wife even saw the movie with me 3 times.

BrerJon

There will also be a new seperate charge event to go with this:

Each guest will get to spend an hour with a crowbar to help the demolition, and after 60 minutes get to keep a piece of the hat and earn a cupcake for their effort.

Cost is $499 per adult.

Sign me up! Looks like they've finally come up with an upcharge event everyone will love!

pumpkin7

I hope they reinstate the giant hidden mickey and don't just replace the BAH. Its not often they replace something that they've previously done away with though. *shifty look at the Tiki Room*.
This is great news though. 14 years, however 'temporary' is too long.
I do love how that photoshopped Olaf picture has made it onto Facebook and loads of fools are going 'ooo can't wait to have my pic with Olaf'.
Please please please please please Disney, don't replace the hat with anything, otherwise we'll all be back here in 12 months moaning about how much we miss the hat!

BrerJon

so what will happen with all the merchanise with the hat on there? think about how much money will be lost. there is so much crap with that stupid hat on it. bring back the water tower?

Although sold for high prices, Disney pays almost nothing for most of its merch which is just cheap stuff imported from China. All they'll do is stop orders of future hat stuff, let the stock run dry between now and 'Hats Off Day', then any leftovers will go to the outlet stores.

BrerJon

Yeah, I don't mind the idea of a Ratatouille type ride with the premise of being sucked into a movie, but I don't know if I'd like it to be themed to GotG. I terribly enjoy GotG, but that's not a good location for that theme.

Different movies, with one of them being GotG? I can see that.

The existing system might as well be trackless (I know there's a thin track, but you barely notice it), so instead of reinventing the wheel why not just retheme the existing ride, new animatronics, some new movies, and get rid of that awful dated snarky spiel and replace it with some genuine heart. I love The Great Movie Ride, but I'd happily see a Greater Movie Ride if it was a choice between that and a Rat clone.

ProfSavage

The existing system might as well be trackless (I know there's a thin track, but you barely notice it), so instead of reinventing the wheel why not just retheme the existing ride, new animatronics, some new movies, and get rid of that awful dated snarky spiel and replace it with some genuine heart. I love The Great Movie Ride, but I'd happily see a Greater Movie Ride if it was a choice between that and a Rat clone.

That spiel, in my opinion, is such a distraction to what is a great Disney dark ride.

BrerJon

Different movies, with one of them being GotG? I can see that.

I don't like the idea of Guardians, as I think it will date too quickly, but if they *must* get rid of The Great Movie Ride, then maybe that 'attending the premiere' idea could work for another franchise... How about this?

The theme is Hollywood, the year 1977, the place... a galaxy far, far away...

jYvGrb2.png

mannschinese.jpg

ProfSavage

I don't like the idea of Guardians, as I think it will date too quickly, but if they *must* get rid of The Great Movie Ride, then maybe that 'attending the premiere' idea could work for another franchise... How about this?

jYvGrb2.png

mannschinese.jpg

I disagree. If we get a full-fledged Star Wars land, I think Star Wars works better as a "Real" place to visit. By being sucked into the movie, and then a block over you have Star Tours which is supposed to be you at a starport... wouldn't mesh.

BrerJon

Wow.
Thanks for that large photo.
I was really wondering what to be for Halloween this year, and this just gave me a great idea!

Print out photo, cut out head, insert eye holes...and you have the perfect mask.
Just need a suit....

:)

Stuff the suit with bundles of fake money and make sure to dip your hands in every kid's trick-or-treat bag to help yourself.

BrerJon

i hate this. i love the hat! it has been there since i started going to disney. now i'm twenty and it's just gonna be gone?! that's like taking away cinderella's castle or the tree of life!

No, if they got rid of the Chinese Theater that would be the case. The Chinese Theater has *also* been there since you started going, you just probably never noticed it because there was a *big hat* blocking your view.

Mike S

jYvGrb2.png

mannschinese.jpg
Or just replace the Tarzan scene with a Star Wars one and keep it as the GMR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom