The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

ChrisM

Time for me to trot out my favorite comparison ...

Even as a poor student, I was able to afford a WDW vacation back in the day.

In 1974, WDW did not sell 4-day tickets. However, a 2-day ticket with 17 Adventure Book cost $14.25 (with tax). Minimum wage was $2.00/hour so that’s about 7 hours of work for a 2-day ticket, or the equivalent of about 14 hours of work for a 4 days.

In 1984, a 4-day WDW ticket with park hopping was $52 (with tax). Minimum wage was $3.35/hour so that’s about 16 hours of work.

In 1994, a 4-day WDW ticket with park hopping was about $143 (with tax). Minimum wage was $4.25/hour so that’s about 34 hours of work.

In 2004, a 4-day WDW ticket with park hopping was about $233 (with tax). Minimum wage was $5.15/hour so that’s about 45 hours of work.

In 2014, a 4-day WDW ticket with park hopping is about $377 (with tax). Minimum wage is $7.25/hour so that’s about 52 hours of work.

WDW never was cheap but, Disney increasingly has been pricing its customers out of the market.

While Disney prices are outrageous, egregious, and manifestly unjust (Jackie Chiles!), it's interesting to note that the relative percentage increase between '74 and '84 (14.3%) is actually fairly close to the relative percentage increase between '04 and '14 (15.6%).

The increases between '84 and '94 (113%!) and '94 and '04 (32.6%) are where things went really freakin' whacko. Inflation and minimum wage rates obviously play a role here, but still...

Goofyernmost

yep..when your queue is better than the ride you may want to redefine your priorities
Since you spend substantially more time in the queue then the ride, I'm not sure but there shouldn't be more refinement in the queue then the ride. It's all one show leading up to an ending.

Time for me to trot out my favorite comparison ...

Even as a poor student, I was able to afford a WDW vacation back in the day.

In 1974, WDW did not sell 4-day tickets. However, a 2-day ticket with 17 Adventure Book cost $14.25 (with tax). Minimum wage was $2.00/hour so that’s about 7 hours of work for a 2-day ticket, or the equivalent of about 14 hours of work for a 4 days.

In 1984, a 4-day WDW ticket with park hopping was $52 (with tax). Minimum wage was $3.35/hour so that’s about 16 hours of work.

In 1994, a 4-day WDW ticket with park hopping was about $143 (with tax). Minimum wage was $4.25/hour so that’s about 34 hours of work.

In 2004, a 4-day WDW ticket with park hopping was about $233 (with tax). Minimum wage was $5.15/hour so that’s about 45 hours of work.

In 2014, a 4-day WDW ticket with park hopping is about $377 (with tax). Minimum wage is $7.25/hour so that’s about 52 hours of work.

WDW never was cheap but, Disney increasingly has been pricing its customers out of the market.
I am not about to dispute the numbers with you except to say this, you cannot compare it to 1974 or 1984. At the time the place only had one park and two parks respectively. So if you take the difference between 1974 and 1984 it was only 2 hours difference for double the opportunity. So, I'd say that they cannot be worked into the scenario. It might be interesting though to compare Disney and Universal. Price for park hopper ticket vs. 4 parks to two parks. Anyway!

It wasn't the cost of a ticket then or now that has had a disastrous affect on the cost of a Disney Vacation. It is the cost of travel, lodging and food that has made it less affordable to many people. A college student could still muster up the money for a ticket even today, if they didn't have that other expense to deal with. Even staying offsite has gone up a lot. It is a controllable expense for Disney when talking about a onsite visit, which isn't required. The cost to travel wasn't in Disney's control nor the offsite cost of lodging and food.

Even if you didn't take that stuff into account, you cannot possibly compare the idea that a college student could afford to go so therefore it was much more affordable back then. The question is how many people with families to support, housing to pay for, utilities, furniture and groceries and expenses of their college aged child (who is spending time in WDW instead of paying tuition) could afford to do it. I'm thinking that it was about as unaffordable as it is today. I, as a single person now, tend to forget that part of it. I went for 4 days last February and spent only a little over $600.00, so to me it seemed pretty cheap. (offsite, btw) However if I factor in a family of four, it gets a whole lot less affordable.

Then let's look at the idea that with the exception of college students, that emotionally had no other financial burdens then pizza and books, hardly any family that makes minimum wage went there then or now. It just doesn't work out. Blood out of a stone, as it were!

In the whole scheme of things, the tickets, expensive as that are, are not the reason for curtailed travel. That part of it is the cheapest part of the entire trip. Within the entire 43 trips over 30 years that I made to WDW either from Vermont or N.C., with the exception of my big family trip that I sponsored, have never spent over $2000.00. My argument is that one can make a case that the admission prices have risen at a rate higher then the cost of everything else simply is not, in reality, true. The percentages may indicate that, depending on what it is compared to, but, the real thing that motivates someone to spend money have, if anything become comparatively less expensive then other forms of entertainment.

The price of admission is not even close to being the affordability problem, it's the incredible cost of everything else that goes along with it.

Last edited:

OSUgirl77

You should... it's a really great drama that only suffers from two flaws
1) You must binge watch... not enough is exposed in 1hr blocks
2) You'll love the books even more

You don't seem like a book reader type.. but I would highly recommend it.

The TV show is not just 'another LOTR' - its far more focused as a drama piece (they don't even show the majority of the fights in the early seasons) and one that is highly addicting.
It's incredibly addicting. I binge-watched the first 3 seasons, and watched each episode of the 4th season as they aired...that's torture. Each episode goes way too quickly, and now it's killing me to have to wait until next spring for season 5. I haven't read the books, but plan to once the series ends. I almost always have issues with screen versions of books, and I don't want to screw up my enjoyment of the show.

BrianLo

Gringotts: Broken.
Soft serve ice cream machine: Broken. No ButterBeer flavor for me :(

@BrianLo you still in line or did you exit already?

Edit: false alarm. I heard the people at the ice cream shop saying the machine was broken but I was able to get it from the fountain of fair fortune next door. Eating it now :hungry:

I made the very very smart decision to bail. I was beyond the main room which apparently is only 25 minutes if it's working... It hasn't been for three hours now (I only wasted an hour). Also yes the soft serve is broken except for butterbeer.

Despite this I'm having a blast!

scpergj

Priced out in the sense that I don't feel it's worth the money. Could I afford it? Yes. Will I purchase it? Only under very special circumstances.

But there are guests who could easily afford WDW in the past who are being priced out.

Yup...my family for one. Funny how just 6 years ago we could afford 4 nights at the Wilderness lodge. We make more money and have lower bills now than we did then...and now we can't afford it without taking out a loan. Makes no sense.

Mike S

Just left Universal, heading to Disney. Got stuck on the turntable for a few seconds before the launch in The Mummy and said thank god the car behind us didn't go backwards or we would've been screwed :hilarious: Sadly no Gringotts today.

ParentsOf4

While Disney prices are outrageous, egregious, and manifestly unjust (Jackie Chiles!), it's interesting to note that the relative percentage increase between '74 and '84 (14.3%) is actually fairly close to the relative percentage increase between '04 and '14 (15.6%).

The increases between '84 and '94 (113%!) and '94 and '04 (32.6%) are where things went really freakin' whacko. Inflation and minimum wage rates obviously play a role here, but still...
Yes but the numbers are rather deceptive.

Former CEO Michael Eisner's big ticket price increase was in his first 4 years. From 1984 to 1988, a 4-day ticket went from $52 to $96, a whopping 85%!

At the time, WDW fans were furious but the overall opinion of business insiders (;)) were that WDW tickets were grossly underpriced.

When it comes to WDW theme park ticket prices, there's "before 1985" and "after 1988". :D

Eisner also gave us today's WDW. With the exception of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, the Contemporary, and the Polynesian, nearly everything else at today's WDW was initiated under Eisner.

Current CEO Bob Iger has continued the WDW ticket price trend, even cranking it up a notch from 2011 to 2013. However, he's also pushed for higher prices on hotels, food, and merchandise.

10 years ago, an adult meal at Cinderella's Royal Table was about $15. Today it's $60. :jawdrop:

In 2005 (Eisner's last year), the Disney Dining Plan (DDP) cost $35/night and included one Table Service (TS) meal consisting of appetizer, non-alcoholic beverage, main course, dessert, and 18% gratuity, one Quick Service (QS) meal consisting of non-alcoholic beverage, main course, and dessert, and one snack.

This year, the DDP costs over $60 while the TS appetizer & 18% gratuity are no longer included.

Iger has been an unfriendly CEO to WDW consumers.

Yes, Disney is a business and can charge whatever it likes. However, the signs are there that the public is starting to rebel. Frankly, if not for the recently discovered South American market and Universal attracting a new set of consumers to Orlando, today's WDW financial numbers would look downright ugly.

With fewer investments in WDW compared to his predecessors, Iger's policies are driving away his core customer base.

No previous Disney CEO has taken WDW's "guests" for granted more than Iger.

bhg469

Yes but the numbers are rather deceptive.

Former CEO Michael Eisner's big ticket price increase was in his first 4 years. From 1984 to 1988, a 4-day ticket went from $52 to $96, a whopping 85%!

At the time, WDW fans were furious but the overall opinion of business insiders (;)) were that WDW tickets were grossly underpriced.

When it comes to WDW theme park ticket prices, there's "before 1985" and "after 1988". :D

Eisner also gave us today's WDW. With the exception of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, the Contemporary, and the Polynesian, nearly everything else at today's WDW was initiated under Eisner.

Current CEO Bob Iger has continued the WDW ticket price trend, even cranking it up a notch from 2011 to 2013. However, he's also pushed for higher prices on hotels, food, and merchandise.

10 years ago, an adult meal at Cinderella's Royal Table was about $15. Today it's $60. :jawdrop:

In 2005 (Eisner's last year), the Disney Dining Plan (DDP) cost $35/night and included one Table Service (TS) meal consisting of appetizer, non-alcoholic beverage, main course, dessert, and 18% gratuity, one Quick Service (QS) meal consisting of non-alcoholic beverage, main course, and dessert, and one snack.

This year, the DDP costs over $60 while the TS appetizer & 18% gratuity are no longer included.

Iger has been an unfriendly CEO to WDW consumers.

Yes, Disney is a business and can charge whatever it likes. However, the signs are there that the public is starting to rebel. Frankly, if not for the recently discovered South American market and Universal attracting a new set of consumers to Orlando, today's WDW financial numbers would look downright ugly.

With fewer investments in WDW compared to his predecessors, Iger's policies are driving away his core customer base.

No previous Disney CEO has taken WDW's "guests" for granted more than Iger.
Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be failing either. He's great for disney as a company, a disaster for wdw.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom