Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disneyfamily4

The Frozen replacing Maelstrom rumor has returned. A couple of friends were wondering why they could not get a fast pass for Maelstrom during their trip next month. Apparently, after a certain date, the entire Maelstrom schedule becomes unavailable.

As they asked this question on a facebook forum, A cast member said that in August, Maelstrom will be shut down and they are anticipating Frozen to take its place. The cast member said that she works in Norway on the ride and that she has already been given the order that she will be reassigned. She also said she was told to turn in her uniform. She told my friend that when rides just close for refurbishment, people get reassigned, but keep their uniform. The cast member apparently is convinced that Frozen will be announced towards the end of August, so we will not have to wait to long to see if this is a true rumor or just another cast member who likes to make rumors.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The Frozen replacing Maelstrom rumor has returned. A couple of friends were wondering why they could not get a fast pass for Maelstrom during their trip next month. Apparently, after a certain date, the entire Maelstrom schedule becomes unavailable.

As they asked this question on a facebook forum, A cast member said that in August, Maelstrom will be shut down and they are anticipating Frozen to take its place. The cast member said that she works in Norway on the ride and that she has already been given the order that she will be reassigned. She also said she was told to turn in her uniform. She told my friend that when rides just close for refurbishment, people get reassigned, but keep their uniform. The cast member apparently is convinced that Frozen will be announced towards the end of August, so we will not have to wait to long to see if this is a true rumor or just another cast member who likes to make rumors.

I was able to make a Fastpass+ reservation for Maelstrom for mid September.

Disneyfamily4

I was able to make a Fastpass+ reservation for Maelstrom for mid September.

Hmm then I don't know. my friend said I think it was August 16th and throughout the end of her trip that its unavailable. There is no way the frozen refurb would be done in that short of time. Frozen I think is just Wishful thinking to every frozen fan out there.

PREMiERdrum

Hmm then I don't know. my friend said I think it was August 16th and throughout the end of her trip that its unavailable. There is no way the frozen refurb would be done in that short of time. Frozen I think is just Wishful thinking to every frozen fan out there.

A refurb couldn't be done by then, but a cheap overlay? :banghead:

- PREMiERdrum, who is kidding... mostly.

dannyboyindc

"Plans include eliminating most of the shops in the Norway Pavilion to make room for a Frozen meet-and-greet, and other Frozen-related activities."

B-b-but...what about our beloved life size troll in the store? And the creepy 80's painting in the Maelstrom queue? And no matter what you think of the film, it's still old school Disney. The sound in there is actually pretty fantastic.

wdwgreek

"Plans include eliminating most of the shops in the Norway Pavilion to make room for a Frozen meet-and-greet, and other Frozen-related activities."

B-b-but...what about our beloved life size troll in the store? And the creepy 80's painting in the Maelstrom queue? And no matter what you think of the film, it's still old school Disney. The sound in there is actually pretty fantastic.
I love the Norway Pavillion, I would hate to loose the shops and cultural displays, but if they do build a Frozen attraction I do not want it to be poorly done, shoehorning it in the pavilion will not be sufficient.

dannyboyindc

I love the Norway Pavillion, I would hate to loose the shops and cultural displays, but if they do build a Frozen attraction I do not want it to be poorly done, shoehorning it in the pavilion will not be sufficient.

Understood. It kind of goes away from the World Showcase's original intention. Progress! (a la parrot in COP)

Gullywhumper

Please do not do this. Maelstorm is one of my favorite rides at Epcot, and it would be a shame for them to get rid of it. Frozen will go out of style soon anyhow, so don't you even think about doing this Disney!

aladdin2007

a line from the article states: Besides cashing in on the massive success of the film, it seems Disney wants a financil investment from the Norwegian government to help refurbish the pavilion in order to keep the focus on the country -- and not Frozen.

The above is still a possibility, but the support is probably not going to come from the government, so much as a company. If the last effort falls through you can probably say farvel to the Norway pavilion. Lets hope next month brings some good saving grace news at the deadline.

Dave Disney

Maelstrom is one of my favorite attractions in EPCOT, and almost anyone who's visited the world has a picture of themselves in a viking hat with the Norway pavillion troll, why mess with something that is already so loved.

This is another example of why it's so difficult to be a Disney World traditionalist. I'm all for improving the parks and offering new experiences, but it's difficult to understand why these things seem to continue to happen at the expense of classic and beloved attractions.

NMBC1993

I know this has been debated for months now but I have to wonder what exactly Disney "promised" the country of Norway as far as "updating and maintain the pavilion as a promotional platform for the country -- instead of the hit movie"? Knowing Disney, would they just take all those props out of the church and say "O.K. there are no references to Frozen, thanks for the 9 mil"?

Also, I feel Disney should make that offer to the other 10 countries as well. I would love to see some updates to the Japan pavilion!

ABQ

That Daily Finance article reads like grade school student's book report where the student only watched a movie and never read the book. I'm guessing the guy saw the You Tube video linked on Screamscape, same one posted on these forums and created the article from nothing more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom