Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

PhotoDave219

Nope, not on the gravy train - still not invited to media events.

I'm gonna go on this path for a minute because it affects more than you… Affects myself as well…

What outlet were you applying on the behalf of?

(Trust me, I'm not picking on you… I'm using this as an example to go down a different path)

The reason I ask, the way everybody works… Except Laura Spencer's misguided social media experiment… The way every media industry works and all of the media professionals on this form will back me up on this is that when you go to an event a sporting events, concert or whatever, and you wish to be credentialed you have to have a media outlet to apply on the behalf.

Not this is a tad different in that a lot of the travel outlets are more Internet-based anymore… As much as I hate to admit it, Ricky has the stats to back it up. I credential him. But when you get beyond the larger Disney media outlets… It becomes a pain in the trying to figure out which outlet is legit and who's not. And that's most likely why they were credentialing anybody under the sun who could produce a blog…

If I were Disney? I want to see coldhearted stats. If you want your Internet-based venue into my press event, you show me in at a little page that's bringing in X number unique page views per month… that's away to weed out your list to hurry.

Me? I don't even apply to these little media events. Two reasons. One, I'm not going unless I'm getting paid. Plain simple, I made it for the money. Two? I absolutely hate large, controlled media events with a pack of people who are not used to working around daily professional media people. Pack journalism, even if it's Disney or universal, is just the worst. Plus I never take the goody bag. For the UFC fights last week, I got a free pair of headphones which I quickly gave my assistant.

So it all comes down to what outlet you're representing. If I'm Disney, I'm not interested in whether this person got in and this person did not, I'm interested in pushing my product through the media channels that gets me the largest exposure for the fewest amount of people I have to put up with and do something almost special for.

That's just how I see it…

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Nope, not on the gravy train - still not invited to media events.

EDIT: I should further clarify that being invited to press events was always in the category of "would be nice" for the purpose of interviews and taking photos, but never really necessary. The food and drinks would not be the point. On top of all this, if somehow I ended up on the invite list, I wouldn't be able to to go most of the time. I have a day job, and this park stuff is definitely a hobby.

Like I said, I'm not picking on you… I'm just trying to explain how this works to everybody else…

flynnibus

Premium Member
In a pure ideal world... yes

But we all know the game isn't played on this academic level. It's played at the 'who do I like, who do I not, who am I looking to reach...'

The gatekeepers at each organization get to play whatever games they want. In the 'online only' world, things are so much more disjointed and unorganized, a company doesn't have to worry as much about playing favorites or blacklists.. like they would with traditional media.

WDWFigment

EDIT TO ADD: I just realized most of you won't give two hoots about this post. :hilarious: Sorry about that!!! Tom, this one's for you!!

We had been to Tokyo in 2008 and on that trip, we did a number of the "big" tourist type things... Tsukiji fish market, we went to the 5th station of Mt. Fuji (which is basically about halfway up), Hakone National Park, rode a bullet train, etc... So this trip we wanted to try to not repeat anything at all, which worked out great.

For example, one of the drawbacks of Mt. Fuji is it takes quite some time to get there. So this trip, we climbed Mt. Takao. It's about 45 minutes outside the city by train, which is easily do-able, and which takes you through different parts of the city you wouldn't see otherwise. At the base of the mountain is a small village with all sorts of cool food booths, and trinket shops, and the like. Really fun shopping. There's a ski-gondola ride you can take about half way up (which was great, and freaked out the kids), and from there it's about a 45 minute hike through shrines and temples, and forests, and amazing views. There are even a few small restaurants carved into the mountain side that you can stop at for noodles or what have you, as well as small vendors selling SNACKS (I know of your affinity for those!). There's even a monkey park along the way. And that's just on the path we chose. I believe there are 6 paths, all of which provide a different experience. One walks past waterfalls. One crosses a huge suspension bridge. That kind of thing. When you get to the top, when you look one direction you have a CLOSE view of Mt. Fuji, and from that same spot, if you turn around, you have an incredible view of Tokyo. It was absolutely worth the afternoon. I could imagine a shutterbug like you going NUTS.

Other than that, we went to Harajuku on a Sunday morning to see all the teenagers dressed in cosplay and check out all the trendy shops and eat crepes (it's what they do there... There are probably 20 crepe stands). We blinked and had been there 3 hours. Harajuku is where the Olympic village was in 1964, so the main stadium is nearby, plus a HUGE park with a massive shrine. We walked through it, and stumbled across a traditional Japanese wedding procession which was incredible to see.

We went up SkyTree Tower, which was incredible.

We spent a day in Ueno Park, which is where they have the Cherry Blossom Festival every year. We were about two weeks to early for that, but they were setting everything up, which was cool to see. Also in that park is their Zoo, which we spent a few hours in and our kids loved. They have pandas, but it was closed when we were there.

We ate at a lot of good restaurants, but I wanted to find a "fun" place for the kids... So I did my homework and found Ninja Asaksa, a ninja themed restaurant. It was a lot of fun, and one of the highest rated restaurants in Tokyo. To get to your table they lead you through all these secret passages and over secret drawbridges to your little private room that looks carved out of stone. The food was very high end, but also very dicey for a Westerner. We tried it all, but only probably ate half of it. :confused: It was a blast, but WAS NOT CHEAP. For 5 of us, it was $450. o_O

We did plenty of other stuff... For example we spent a good amount of time in Odaiba... But what I've described here are the things that I would recommend to anyone visiting Tokyo (if you haven't already!!).

The country and the people are just amazing. Wonderful. And those aren't words in my daily vocabulary. But there's just no other way to say it. Our 17 year old has said over and over that if she spoke Japanese, she absolutely would live there for a while when she gets out of school. And I believe her. Heck, I probably would too, if it were feasible.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I really appreciate them. For having kids along with you, you certainly got around!

The one suggestion of yours that really sticks out to me is Mt. Takao, as I really haven't read a whole lot about that, but it certainly sounds like you had an enjoyable time doing it. We did most of the other tourist-y things in Tokyo last time, so I'm not sure how much time we'll spend there this time. The Ninja Restaurant certainly sounds cool, I'll have to look into that--last time we did the Robot Restaurant (definitely not for kids) and had an absolute blast. Japanese entertainment at its finest. We also somehow didn't make it up to the SkyTree. I'd like to do that, and I know Sarah wants to go back to Harajuku to get a costume or something. I wasn't a big fan of Harajuku, but we also visited on Children's Day (Golden Week) so it was absolutely packed. We ate lunch while watching a baseball game there, which was neat. The crepes there were DELICIOUS, too! I figure we'll spend 2 days in Tokyo, maybe.

Mt. Fuji is also a possibility. We didn't do it last time, and the morning we checked into the Hilton Tokyo Bay (after the Golden Week holiday), we had a perfect view of Mt. Fuji. I was told you normally can't see it, but since the factories were closed the previous day, we could. I really wanted to get a photo of Mt. Prometheus with Mt. Fuji in the background, but I couldn't quite get the angles to line up...

I think this time we're looking to spend more time in Osaka, Kyoto, and maybe one other distant place. We went to Kyoto last year (Golden Pavilion, monkey park, Fushimi Inari, etc.) and loved it. One of my favorite parts of that was just taking the bullet train out there. Talk about a beautiful view coupled with a nice trip. I wouldn't mind doing that again, or doing the same to Osaka. I really want to go out to Himeji Castle, but it's unclear whether the refurbishment will be ongoing or not. I figure we might as well visit as many remote places in Japan as we can now before we have kids.

I agree with you, I'd absolutely love to live in Japan. I haven't looked into feasibility at all, but it's a dream of mine. It's really just a pipe dream at this point, but when you live in the Midwest, dreams of living elsewhere are the only thing that keep you going! ;)

I'll echo your advice that anyone who balks at the idea of going to Japan absolutely should not. It's absolutely worth sacrificing a few trips to other Disney parks, and actually isn't really as expensive as people might think (to be clear: it is expensive, just not out of reach for most people here who visit WDW annually). Language and the flight should be no barrier.

WDWFigment

I would have a very tough time coughing $700 a night up for a room at the Mira Costa, as nice as it is. ... My plan is to spend a few nights there on my next trip, but I have seen rates as low as half that and I am hoping that happens on my trip. If not, I will likely not stay there.

Maybe I should ask this flock of followers that I allegedly have to start a Kickstarter cmapaign to fund me a week at the Mira Costa?

The absolute lowest rate at the MiraCosta is ~$360/night in the lowest season of the year, for a poor view room that sleeps 3. As a practical reality, you're probably looking at $500+/night most nights of the year. Even more for a Porto Paradiso (Mt. Prometheus) view. The popularity of that hotel is insane.

These rooms can be booked up to 6 months in advance, and there is a rush to book at the 6 month mark, with many rooms selling out within minutes. (At 6 months -1 day, you might not find a room at the MiraCosta besides pricey suites.)

The three Disney hotels there have a 95%+ year-round occupancy rate, all while charging $500+/night for rooms. What's that quote about quality being the best business plan...?

Last edited:

maxairmike

I repeat...ummmm....awkward....

I'm not in a position to go into it with any specificity...but there is more to it than that, or so I hear.

Not sure I get the "awkward" part, but what you may have heard...

Anyway, moving on, loved the trip report/tidbits @Buried20KLeague. The Mt. Takao bit especially sounds like fun. I'm compiling little bits and pieces of info from folks that have been out there because I am really trying to eyeball a trip to Tokyo in about 5 years and that sounds like a great thing to do. I'm tired of looking at pictures and dreaming, time to set about "doing."

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a quick drop in on a busy afternoon ... weird how that Today show thing was canned at last minute, huh?

I see lots of speculation on the Hatetofly situation with UNI, and while I know the whole story (or as much as someone not directly involved in, but told by those who are can) I don't feel comfortable placing all the details out here.

But I'll skip to the chase, UNI knew who he was and went after him ... and they may take further action against him than they already have.

I don't know the guy, but as someone who puts information out that the same company AND Disney often absolutely do not want released, it is troubling.

You need to not take stupid chances and, frankly, I think this guy did. Everything considered, I am surprised it took this long for them to go after him ... although he has been so positive about UNI, I wonder exactly what damage he did.

I realize every day that Disney would love to come after me. They only don't because they understand just what type of attention that would bring and what kind of damage they would cause themselves. But if you think they like me talking about 90% of what I talk about here, you are crazy.

Speaking of crazy. It took days, but Gary Goddard finally got wise that maybe he shouldn't have a social newtorking profile on FB that makes him look like a pedophile into teen boys when that is what he is being accused of.

Are people dumb or arrogant today? I say it's a healthy dose of both.

Oh, and to the folks who have sent me notes, I am VERY behind on responding, but I will get to them. I find it beyond rude when someone I send a note doesn't reply (anyone at TWDC getting the message here?) and that isn't me.

Have great Wednesdays!

Soarin' Over Pgh

I always rather liked HTF. I hope s/he's well and ...not ill or in trouble.

Slightly off center and topic, but, @WDWFigment my roomie refers to you as "that guy with the pretty wife". The first time I laughed, and corrected with your name, but the roomie has since called you "that guy with the pretty wife". I tend to agree. :D

Edit, because Spirit beat me to posting this. :)

Captain Neo

So I know we were talking about Bryan Singer and creepers in the Walt Disney Company. But this disturbing article was brought to my attention:

Adult bronie tries to abduct a 11 yr old girl at Bronie Convention
http://brigidkeely.tumblr.com/post/83523795392/a-word-about-bronies-massive-content-notice-for

Adult brony tries to aduct a 11 yr old girl at a Brony Convention in San Francisco. Lots of guys in fedoras. Also, guys selling inappropriate fanart and bodypillows.

I know cons now have harassment policies, but do they have extensive CCTV to catch people out for doing such activities to confirm reporting to security or police? I'm not sure how the fanart was even allowed to be sold there? Also, is Disney concerned this might happen at a Disney convention or do they feel their fans are well adjusted wholesome individuals?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom