Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

BrianLo

Exactly. SIGNIFICANTLY.

He was calling out WDW74 for incorrectly saying the theme park was cancelled. This scaled down version is more like an exhibit with some small rides and interactive elements than a true "theme park".

Ah ok, I see where the discrepancy lies. Like I said I was confused when he said it was cancelled years ago. That's why, we were clearly talking about two different projects, but needless to say something "theme-parky" is actually being built in Dubai. Whatever that other artwork is from seems like a different project entirely (that obviously fell through), although it does look a lot like DSP seems to be getting.

While I agree with @WDW1974 it is not as "kewl" as the original artwork, it's also a little more than just an exhibit from what we sort of know about it. Whether it is actually any good is a different matter.

I think this D&M article is a better gauge of a more recent iteration of this project. Soarin' type ride, 4D theatre Spiderman/X-men and a motion based Avengers attraction. Could be ok... could be garbage.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The only attraction that really gave you a choice was HISTA. The back few rows had headsets and you could select from a few languages. Other than that...like Spirit said..split betwen French and English.

I have never set foot in that attraction at DLP ... and I can't imagine why anyone would in 2014.

I just have never had language be an issue at all in Paris or Hong Kong and only to the smallest degree in Tokyo.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Outwardly, everything is all sunshine and roses but, behind closed doors, some on Wall Street are beginning to get pretty tired of Iger's continued BS answers to all their MyMagic+ questions.

Iger's performance at the last earnings call ("can't quantify [MyMagic"] from a financial perspective yet" and "not even close to being able to quantify [MyMagic+]") didn't win anyone over.

You use the word "boondoggle". Behind closed doors, some are using much worse language.

Iger was a Wall Street Golden Boy. Some are beginning to wonder if he's just laid his first major egg.

Yes, and I think that's why he's been incognito at WDW so much of late ... he was promised so much ($$$) and MM+ just hasn't delivered.

And as a friend pointed out when I was up there, the MAGIC Maker stuff (all the interactive elements ... from store windows to queues to stuff that has been installed in the park infrastructure -- like say those new Fantasyland castle walls!) hasn't been implemented and may well not ever be (look at it like special effects in attractions that are installed, don't work right from the start and are simply shut off forever more despite the money invested in them). This thing IS like a ''too big to fail'' government project -- and that's leaving out all the defense contractors who are working for Disney in areas like those pesky facial recognition sensors under the MK entrance (wonder if they have a terrorist watch list to match up?)

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Outwardly, everything is all sunshine and roses but, behind closed doors, some on Wall Street are beginning to get pretty tired of Iger's continued BS answers to all their MyMagic+ questions.

Iger's performance at the last earnings call ("can't quantify [MyMagic"] from a financial perspective yet" and "not even close to being able to quantify [MyMagic+]") didn't win anyone over.

You use the word "boondoggle". Behind closed doors, some are using much worse language.

Iger was a Wall Street Golden Boy. Some are beginning to wonder if he's just laid his first major egg.

I'll summarize our internal research from work: domestic attendance estimate: 1% growth with upper single digit price increases and higher price increases at MK. Strong performance continues at HK and Tokyo with persistent weakness in Paris.

Identified weaknesses and risks: weaker than expected hotel occupancy domestically and weaker than expected attendance growth domestically.

Oh and most importantly: MyMagic rollout and Fantasyland's continued expansion rollout are growth headwinds (aka they are stifling growth to a degree)

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
And thats good...right?

No way of telling right now, but it can't be bad.

The boards are too "spirited."

What's that supposed to mean? I think the boards can never be Spirited enough ... and let's see how exciting things are when I take my six-week Faux Top One Percent Spirited Spring Holiday starting next week!

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, I love Modern Family. Have since it premiered. Great writing, acting, directing. The whole shebang and much more real than Big Bang Theory, which would be my second favorite network sitcom.

But sometimes I think ABC wastes the talent. Tonight's episode, which sent the whole gang (except for baby Joe) down under to Australia (with a healthy sponsorship fee tossed in by Qantas) was quite an enjoyable outing ... BUT ... why spend the time and effort to go to Australia and open up some interesting story arcs for the characters all to be done in 23 minutes. Honestly, if the Brady Bunch got two episodes in Hawaii and even King's Island in the 70s I don't see why the whole episode was rushed. It sure wasn't to get to ratings juggernaut Mixology (the worst of ABC's attempts to find a partner for MF in the 9 p.m. hour) .

They should have done an hour. Possibly even an hour tonight with a mini-cliffhanger and another 30 minutes (23 actually) next week.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I feel bad, I read this several days ago via one of the French forums and didn't really know whether I should believe it or not/didn't really know who were legitimate "insiders" (so never shared it). Glad to hear it has validity!

I posted the following on the Paris forum after being tagged twice there, but since no one will read it there ... here it is again:

I have brought this subject up on my thread (you know, where people will actually read and respond to it).

That said, much of what is in that blog post is accurate (more the short term -- next 2-3 year stuff). The other stuff is largely stuff that I have heard they would like to do. The only thing in there that was completely new to me was Soarin being placed on the expansion pad that folks have been hoping would be Indy for the last 15 years or so.

Do I think all of that will happen? No. It never does.

But do I think that is likely the plan that Euro Disney SCA would like to see happen? yes.

I also think much of it has a greater chance of happening than one might think because Disney is looking to pump money into the resort and get that debt down a great deal so it doesn't strangle them as it has.

Star Wars Land was always planned for DLP, for instance. And Avatar was always planned to go to DSP as the second park post DAK (recall the original announcement about Disney Parks around the globe getting Avatar product in the future).

Marvel was always planned to go into DSP as soon as the third gate having to be built in the near future went away. And I have heard there are indeed plans to do a Spidey overlay of RnRC and I've heard of an unnamed Marvel E-Ticket, which could be that Avengers ride ... could.

Again, though, this is all the 'what if?/down the road' stuff and that is when things get very iffy ... I think you'll see some of this, but certainly not all and likely not most.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
OK, I love Modern Family. Have since it premiered. Great writing, acting, directing. The whole shebang and much more real than Big Bang Theory, which would be my second favorite network sitcom.

But sometimes I think ABC wastes the talent. Tonight's episode, which sent the whole gang (except for baby Joe) down under to Australia (with a healthy sponsorship fee tossed in by Qantas) was quite an enjoyable outing ... BUT ... why spend the time and effort to go to Australia and open up some interesting story arcs for the characters all to be done in 23 minutes. Honestly, if the Brady Bunch got two episodes in Hawaii and even King's Island in the 70s I don't see why the whole episode was rushed. It sure wasn't to get to ratings juggernaut Mixology (the worst of ABC's attempts to find a partner for MF in the 9 p.m. hour) .

They should have done an hour. Possibly even an hour tonight with a mini-cliffhanger and another 30 minutes (23 actually) next week.
Brady Bunch in Hawaii was actually a three episode arc...but yes, why just 23 minutes of Australia?

WDW1974

Original Poster
What if I also have accounts on those forums... what does that make me? :bored:

Someone who likely spends too much time online ...

On said subject, I do recall the happy days of dial-up and paying by the minute and I somehow don't recall being online for work and pleasure ... and Disney fan forums ... 10 hours a day ... funny thing, my eyes were better back then and I didn't have any weight issues. I am sure there is no connection at all!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'd be thrilled with half this stuff happening and very excited for what will be done by 2017 (much more so than Avatar in AK). Bring on Marvel Land and keep up the refurbishment schedule. Also note how this plan never mentions MM+ or upcharging for these ever expanding seasonal promotions.

I have heard serious chatter that TWDC wants MAGIC Bands in Paris as part of their planned cash infusion. Whether this actually happens is another thing ... They won't be able to replicate MM+ for a variety of reasons, many cultural, but they could use the tracking bands there for admission and payments and normal FP.

They won't charge for seasonal events there because they can't, much like they can't in Anaheim ... or in Hong Kong or in Tokyo. Only O-Town has the perfect mix of demos, largely tourists (whether repeat, DVC, once in three years, one and done) to make the upcharging for everything work. Paris does not.

The only thing that concerns me is the timing of Newport's refurbishment. I booked a November stay back in January with the hope that most of it would be done by then (based on dates listed on their site), but that looks to not be the case. Hopefully at least some rooms and most of the common areas will be finished by the time I get there.

I am fairly sure you'll be fine. They have been working for quite a while, although projects in Paris make Orlando seem speedy by comparison. But when we were there in January they had one wing (524 rooms, I think) totally closed off and they were gutting them and refurbing and the new design (while incorporating characters, naturally) is a much brighter and better looking choice. You should wind up with one of those rooms in November. And if they put me in an old room, I'd demand a move. But I really think you'll be fine ...

CrescentLake

What's that supposed to mean? I think the boards can never be Spirited enough ... and let's see how exciting things are when I take my six-week Faux Top One Percent Spirited Spring Holiday starting next week!

Fair enough, certainly hope its a good thing. It can't get worse, right?

No doubt the boards have significantly less information and are less lively when you are not around. It seems that these days, you are the only one that consistently posts any insider info. So I guess, not that it matters what I think at all, but I respect and understand what you have to say, that you have experience and insider info, I just am not a fan of how you say it. No disrespect intended, I read the threads and everything, and I agree with about 90% of your opinions on theme parks/Disney.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I remember you mentioning this project as having fallen through probably in a post about 6+ months ago, which confused me seeing as IMG Worlds of Adventure is very much under construction and very much still referencing Marvel.

"The 350,000 sq. ft. MARVEL Zone will offer a range of key entertainment experiences from renowned Super Hero Icons such as; Spider-Man, The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor and The Avengers. The MARVEL Zone will also feature unique retail outlets and dining facilities. The MARVEL name and characters have been licensed to the Ilyas & Mustafa Galadari Group by MARVEL Entertainment."

img-worlds-of-adventure-135.jpg

img-worlds-of-adventure-127.jpg

img-worlds-of-adventure-121.jpg

Dubai projects are totally unreliable... but this one is actually happening.

That is a VERY different and downsized project from the original concept that was an entire Marvel park (that actually looked very kewl, although I will never set foot in the country until they move their human rights and laws out of the stone age).

I still have doubts about ANY/ALL Dubai based projects (remember that we should all be drooling over the Busch/SEAS/UNI parks that were supposed to open 2-3 years ago by now) until they are open for business.

And this is a much smaller product that is more akin to the DRE concepts that Nick Franklin kept striking out with until NGE came along to save his corporate .

So ... all I can say is I will believe this will exist when it does.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Six weeks?!?!!:eek: I think we need to take up a collection and get you an iPhone. Don't worry, you won't have to FaceTime with any of your fanbois, just check in on us every now and then;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom