Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover closing for a near two month refurbishment

Tom

Beta Return
14480d1370632709-nor-cal-darts-club-meet-june-23rd-why-meme.png

Would have preferred it to be closed Feb to March, but hey, at least it will be getting some TLC. :)

I prefer it being during everyone else's trips, since we're in the World now.

ToTBellHop

While no one likes missing a favorite ride, sometimes the responses to refurbs here are ridiculous. They are closing two relatively minor attractions that are in dire need of refurbishment. Ride closures can't always be during SOMEONE ELSE'S vacation (how self-centered have we become?). It's no wonder Disney is no refurb-phobic. It costs money and we complain when they ever dare to close anything. I swear, someone here would complain if a drinking fountain was being refurbished. People actually DID complain when they were repairing The Land's escalator...

PrincessNelly_NJ

While no one likes missing a favorite ride, sometimes the responses to refurbs here are ridiculous. They are closing two relatively minor attractions that are in dire need of refurbishment. Ride closures can't always be during SOMEONE ELSE'S vacation (how self-centered have we become?). It's no wonder Disney is no refurb-phobic. It costs money and we complain when they ever dare to close anything. I swear, someone here would complain if a drinking fountain was being refurbished. People actually DID complain when they were repairing The Land's escalator...
I think we are all truly happy that our favorite rides are getting refurbed. Sad that it is down during my trip but no harm in a playful gif image her and there. We are all clearly disney addicts, we will return year after year so we will always get to ride another time. :)

ToTBellHop

I think we are all truly happy that our favorite rides are getting refurbed. Sad that it is down during my trip but no harm in a playful gif image her and there. We are all clearly disney addicts, we will return year after year so we will always get to ride another time. :)
There actually is a harm when Disney sees complaints about ride closures here and, even moreso, complaints arriving at Guest Relations in the park. It makes them more likely to leave us with attractions in a state of dysfunction because we will complain if they (god forbid) shut the ride down.

PrincessNelly_NJ

There actually is a harm when Disney sees complaints about ride closures here and, even moreso, complaints arriving at Guest Relations in the park. It makes them more likely to leave us with attractions in a state of dysfunction because we will complain if they (god forbid) shut the ride down.
But many of us here are just joking, you know sarcasm? I think disney knows that they can't please everyone... people will complain if a ride is running and has broken features and they will complain if it is closed. But the people on this forum really are just kidding.

ToTBellHop

But many of us here are just joking, you know sarcasm? I think disney knows that they can't please everyone... people will complain if a ride is running and has broken features and they will complain if it is closed. But the people on this forum really are just kidding.
I think Disney's track record suggests they don't understand sarcasm. Compare the maintenance schedules at Disneyland to WDW:

Magic Kingdom
  • The Plaza Restaurant – closed through March 15 for refurbishment.
  • Splash Mountain – closed through March 22 for refurbishment.
  • Pinocchio Village Haus – closed through March 30 for refurbishment.
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – closed April 7–9 for refurbishment.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean – closed April 28–30 for refurbishment.
  • PeopleMover - closed May 3-June 30 for refurbishment.
  • Astro Orbiter - closed May 30-August 20 for refurbishment.
Disneyland
  • Tomorrowland Terrace – closed February 18 through March 6 for refurbishment.
  • Disneyland Railroad – closed February 24 through March 7 for refurbishment.
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – closed until "early 2014" for a major refurbishment. Disneyland.com shows it closed through March 31. The ride was to have reopened October 30, 2013.
  • Alice in Wonderland – closed starting March 10 for refurbishment. No reopening date has been announced, but the ride is closed at least through June.
  • Indiana Jones Adventure – closed March 17 through May 8 for refurbishment.
  • "it's a small world" – closed through April 9 for refurbishment and fall protection upgrade. The ride was to have opened February 12.
  • Plaza Inn – closed April 20 through May 15 for refurbishment.
  • "it's a small world" – closed April 20 through May 29 for refurbishment.
  • King Arthur Carrousel – closed April 28 through May 8 for refurbishment.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean – closed April 28 through May 22 for refurbishment.
  • Club 33 – closed until June for refurbishment and expansion.
  • Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage – closed for refurbishment. A reopening date of September 26 is listed on a cast member document, but this date is likely just a placeholder.

Hopefully we can get this refurb canceled so we can continue riding a ride that crashes every 30 seconds.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I think Disney's track record suggests they don't understand sarcasm. Compare the maintenance schedules at Disneyland to WDW:

Magic Kingdom
Disneyland
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – closed until "early 2014" for a major refurbishment. Disneyland.com shows it closed through March 31. The ride was to have reopened October 30, 2013.
  • Alice in Wonderland – closed starting March 10 for refurbishment. No reopening date has been announced, but the ride is closed at least through June.
  • "it's a small world" – closed through April 9 for refurbishment and fall protection upgrade. The ride was to have opened February 12.
  • Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage – closed for refurbishment. A reopening date of September 26 is listed on a cast member document, but this date is likely just a placeholder.

Hopefully we can get this refurb canceled so we can continue riding a ride that crashes every 30 seconds.

Ok.... nevermind. I'll withhold all my WDW jokes & sarcasm from now on.... serious faces only people!

sweetpee_1993

@ISTCNavigator57 , the POTC refurb at DL is on transition. It still shows on the interactive map but Blue Bayou has been taking reservations into the first few days of May. Reports from people calling dining out west are saying the refurb is now off the schedule. The initial reports of this refurb being for April came from dining, people calling for reservations during the previous refurb dates in February being told it was postponed to April. Then it appeared on the map. Now it's still on the map but dining is indicating yet another schedule change. We'll be there 4/26-5/3. I'm watching these crazy shifting schedules! According to locals, this spring has been quite unusual. :D

ToTBellHop

@ISTCNavigator57 , the POTC refurb at DL is on transition. It still shows on the interactive map but Blue Bayou has been taking reservations into the first few days of May. Reports from people calling dining out west are saying the refurb is now off the schedule. The initial reports of this refurb being for April came from dining, people calling for reservations during the previous refurb dates in February being told it was postponed to April. Then it appeared on the map. Now it's still on the map but dining is indicating yet another schedule change. We'll be there 4/26-5/3. I'm watching these crazy shifting schedules! According to locals, this spring has been quite unusual. :D
It does have a very funky schedule this year, but there is no question that DL refurbishes major rides with a much greater frequency than WDW (and, in general, it shows).

DrewmanS

I swear, someone here would complain if a drinking fountain was being refurbished.

I didn't see that anywhere in the news release. Can you please provide a map showing the location of all drinking fountains in the park and the specific one being refurbished. You mean prices are going up and I will have fewer options to drink free water during the refurbishment. Will TDO simply replace the fountain with a similar stainless steele model or will they finally upgrade it to a modern composites material more appropriate for Tomorrow land. I can't believe they are not installing one of those high tech bottle refilling water stations with auto fill and triple filtering. Just like TDO to go cheap in what could be a great drinking fountain refurbishment. Oh, and MM+, Avatar, a Cars Land clone, the unannounced stores for Disney Springs, M&Gs, concrete, strollers, EVCs, gift shops, projects that take longer than 4 weeks to complete, Epcot not EPCOT, and the chipped paint on the fourth stall of the 'new' Tangled bathroom all suck!

Did I mention a bus driver for the city of Little Rock told me that a Batman themed submarine ride is going into the new Australian Pavilion at EPCOT (not Epcot) by July of this year?

[Sorry, sometimes you just have to let the sarcasm vent or it builds to toxic levels!]

ToTBellHop

I didn't see that anywhere in the news release. Can you please provide a map showing the location of all drinking fountains in the park and the specific one being refurbished. You mean prices are going up and I will have fewer options to drink free water during the refurbishment. Will TDO simply replace the fountain with a similar stainless steele model or will they finally upgrade it to a modern composites material more appropriate for Tomorrow land. I can't believe they are not installing one of those high tech bottle refilling water stations with auto fill and triple filtering. Just like TDO to go cheap in what could be a great drinking fountain refurbishment. Oh, and MM+, Avatar, a Cars Land clone, the unannounced stores for Disney Springs, M&Gs, concrete, strollers, EVCs, gift shops, projects that take longer than 4 weeks to complete, Epcot not EPCOT, and the chipped paint on the fourth stall of the 'new' Tangled bathroom all suck!

Did I mention a bus driver for the city of Little Rock told me that a Batman themed submarine ride is going into the new Australian Pavilion at EPCOT (not Epcot) by July of this year?

[Sorry, sometimes you just have to let the sarcasm vent or it builds to toxic levels!]
While Disney would never announce a drinking fountain closing, you can bet there'd be a Disney Blog post on the beautiful details of a soon-to-open drinking fountain (with a gorgeous brass PUSH button) and a ribbon-cutting ceremony attended by Kathy Griffin and that-guy-that-was-once-the-Green-Ranger.

sweetpee_1993

It does have a very funky schedule this year, but there is no question that DL refurbishes major rides with a much greater frequency than WDW (and, in general, it shows).
Oh yes! And I'm glad they do! When we planned our dates, booked air, then found out about the increasing refurb schedule I did the same as many & got upset. But, you know, I think with some things ignorance is truly bliss. If I'd never known about the refurbs I wouldn't have even gotten upset...then gone thru the whole cycle of emotions... Had I just shown up & found an attraction down I prob'ly would've been bummed all of 30 seconds before moving on to the next awesome thing to do. The parks need love. Someone somewhere will always miss out on something walled off or closed. When others go things are walled off or closed to make them awesome for my visit. It's not the end of the world. Right?

Californian Elitist

Magic Kingdom
Disneyland

You can add Matterhorn to this list, which is going down for three months starting in May.

jessfriends

I'm all for refurbs but why couldn't they have done this earlier in the year or later in the fall when the crowds are lower? I know it's linked to the Astro Orbiter refurb too and I know it was delayed but I didn't think they would be down for that long of a time during the spring/early summer time. My trip in in mid May and while I am sad it won't be operating I'm hoping it will be in better condition when I go in the fall for food & wine.

ToTBellHop

I'm all for refurbs but why couldn't they have done this earlier in the year or later in the fall when the crowds are lower? I know it's linked to the Astro Orbiter refurb too and I know it was delayed but I didn't think they would be down for that long of a time during the spring/early summer time. My trip in in mid May and while I am sad it won't be operating I'm hoping it will be in better condition when I go in the fall for food & wine.
May/June is better crowd wise than later into the summer and it is coupled with Astro, which frequently closes in the summer due to t storms. At least they were kind enough to have these both close the day after the Mine Train opens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom