The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

vonpluto

Sorry. TL expanded about 3 or 4 years ago. All of the current slides at BB were NOT there on opening day. You should research that before making such blatant statements.

As for BB, in the Ski Patrol Camp two originals were replaced in 1996: Mogul Mania became Cool Runners and Krinkle Tin Slide was transformed into Frozen Pipe Springs. The last new addition was Double Dippers in 1997.
:)

71jason

Go to Aquatica, Typhoon Lagoon, and Blizzard Beach. Look at the surroundings. Get a feel for the parks.

Then immediately go to Wet and Wild. It's not even close to the same league.

Story I've heard, perhaps apocryphal, is that one of the Busch family scions went to Wet n Wild in the early stages of Aquatica design. Spent two minutes, walked out, and basically said, "let's build the exact opposite of this."

There's no question but that locally the brand has been ruined. In addition to the lack of atmosphere, it has a reputation for attracting unsavory guests. Police have been called to a few fights there.

Ignohippo

Whch I'd be fine with. But if they want to use "virgin" land in MK, there is a huge amount inside the berm north of the current Fantastyland. You'd just have to create a walkway over the current access road.

....Which should have been used as a new ToonTown (a la Disneyland) when ToonTown Fair at MK was torn down to make room for CircusLand.

But wait, that would make too much sense.

HM Spectre

I'm still woefully disturbed by the idea that the only way to ensure profits is for Disney to cut and raise prices.

It's not and it's absolutely the wrong approach long-term... but it's by far the easiest way and it pays off in the short-term which is where executives are incentivized.

It's incredibly easy to take what WDW is doing today and say "Hey, if we keep doing what we're doing today but find a way to do it cheaper and charge more, we'll make more money." It even works short-term. Your stockholders/board are happy because you hit your quarterly targets and the stock price moves up, you're happy because you get a fat bonus/options for doing so and Joe Blow doesn't have a clue you've cheapened his WDW experience.

That is WAY easier than trying to convince the powers-that-be to increase the maintenance budget, build out new attractions regularly, etc. because it'll help in the long-term and increase profitability. They only see the expense items increasing on the short-term financials and are still uncertain about what the actual impact of those projects will be. So... it's back to hack-and-slashing the budget and cutting corners all while jacking up prices.

That can work for a little while. But guess what? Those people who were so happy that you made cuts that made them richer? They want more of them. And so on. And so on. Eventually, you're cutting way past the fat all the way to the bone and Joe Blow has woken up from his pixie dust induced coma to realize that maybe the magic has been dimmed a bit. Maybe he should stop by Universal and see what they've been up to instead?

It WILL come to roost and in the end will hurt the bottom line in the future... but as an executive, what do you care? Does it matter to you that a reduction in maintenance means that parts of parks are falling apart and that slight reductions in show quality have snowballed to the point where it's noticeable? You've already gotten rich and as they give you a swift boot out the door, you get a nice golden parachute to break your fall.

I'm no insider but that seems to be the general attitude in Walt's company... and it won't do any good to replace one guy with the next if they all come from the same line of thinking. It'll take someone with leadership and vision beyond the near-term bottom line to turn things around and even then, it's not going to happen until a day of reckoning hits when it's made clear to all just how damaging their short-term policies have been to the company's reputation and standards.

It's disappointing to be sure, but cost cutting is the flavor of the month (okay, of the last few years) on Wall Street and Disney is no exception.

coolbeans14

Oh my! It certainly is a different emergency system than we have in the US however I can't brag on our either. They were traveling with international health insurance too so London caught them off guard. My BFF DD was a rower so she was competing right by you. (breaks into a chorus of Small Small World)

The family rented a home in the neighborhood for 3-4 weeks, people just sublet it to them. He actually broke his leg in the Rowing venue area. If you were facing the GrandStand area he was coming off the right side to go down by his DD, there was a muddy steep hill and *poof* broken dude.

What are the odds! I'm guessing taplow or Dorney, right? The grass areas were a MESS right after that, I'm not surprised someone got hurt. In fact, it took them over 6 months to fix all the damage, and even longer to remove the bridge over the river.

Animaniac93-98

Sorry to reply so late on this one (wasnt online much this weekend)..

You don't have to apologize, you don't have to spend every hour of the day online. :)

Your info makes sense based on what I heard/learned previously. Again, I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with what was said, just reporting an interesting comment.

EPCOTCenterLover

Toons have no place in World Showcase. None. Not that they ever had a place in FW.

It's dumb and it is lazy. It totally destroys what EPCOT was about. The fact they have already done this to some extent (the Three Caballeros in Mexico) does not justify more.
Can I quadruple that "LIKE"?!?!? I hate what they've done to World Showcase, especially El Rio del Tiempo. It should have just been refreshed. It was so classy. Particularly the beginning of it.

WDWFan_Boston

Can I quadruple that "LIKE"?!?!? I hate what they've done to World Showcase, especially El Rio del Tiempo. It should have just been refreshed. It was so classy. Particularly the beginning of it.
IMHO, there are very few places at any theme park that immerse you in the experience like Mexico's pavilion did. Now, I just have to imagine that I'm floating down a Mexican river with my three animated friends. *sigh* The magic isn't gone, it just reduced because of lazy imagineering.

cheezbat

Go to Aquatica, Typhoon Lagoon, and Blizzard Beach. Look at the surroundings. Get a feel for the parks.

Totally agree...but at least Universal has dumped quite a bit of money into the park to add/update rides, make the place more aesthetically pleasant, and semi-modernized. It's biggest problems are: 1. Crappy clientele 2. Lack of space to expand 3. Too much concrete, too little foliage 4. Bare slide towers.
The place is as good as pretty much any other Waterpark around the U.S. but pales in comparison to TL, BB, and Aquatica. (At least Aquatica still adds new stuff every 2-4 years, unlike the Disney waterparks!)
I truly hope Uni's new Waterpark is not only beautiful, but has way more slides than the Disney parks and has enough space to expand.

PeterAlt

You're talking about theming. They can fix all the layout problems and add theming without tearing the whole thing down. Can they?

Lee

Adventurer
LOL who doesn't love a good dance party! :rolleyes:

Couldnt they just have canned the person that does push and have a different CM control him? I'm confused on that? Or was it like the Epcot WS performer type deals?
No, part of the problem is that Push was jointly owned by Disney and the performer.

The way I hear it, Disney wanted to claim ownership of the character and just contract the operator to "perform"him.

Understandably, the guy rejected that offer. So Disney canned him. He should do a Billy Hill and take his act to Uni.

EPCOTCenterLover

IMHO, there are very few places at any theme park that immerse you in the experience like Mexico's pavilion did. Now, I just have to imagine that I'm floating down a Mexican river with my three animated friends. *sigh* The magic isn't gone, it just reduced because of lazy imagineering.
And the suits couldn't even bother with funding the addition of the AA figures of the three- figures from Mickey Mouse Revue! Cheap!

jme

No, part of the problem is that Push was jointly owned by Disney and the performer.

The way I hear it, Disney wanted to claim ownership of the character and just contract the operator to "perform"him.

Understandably, the guy rejected that offer. So Disney canned him. He should do a Billy Hill and take his act to Uni.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...sh-talking-trash-can-20140210,0,2158081.story
Official statement and comments from the co-owner validate this...

There was "some ambiguity to the verbiage as to what they owned and what I owned," Deutsch said.

It goes on to say

On Friday, Disney said there was "nothing to" rumors that PUSH might be removed. On Monday, it said only that there had been "additional communication" since then and that the contract was allowed to lapse over the weekend.

The company would not elaborate.

"While our contract discussions are confidential, there was additional communication since Friday and we were unable to reach agreement to extend the contract," Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger said.

zooey

Agreed on both, but to the general public, I can see where that Rio Del Tiempo approach is almost too subtle. I hate to think that people can't accept that kind of entertainment in a theme park, but it seems to be ever moving that way. That being said, the Three Caballeros have a long history with Disney, and with South America, too. They're not completely out of left field. I wish they had kept the beginning of the ride in tact with some updated footage on the screens, and then when we moved into the city scenes have the Caballeros come in and do their thing. I think that would adequately balance it out.

PeterAlt

Typhoon Lagoon
I didn't know they actually added to Typhoon Lagoon. I remember there were rumors of expansion at one of the parks. Didn't know they actually did it. I was periodically active here back then. I guess this happened when I wasn't active here. I'm glad to hear they actually added something!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom