The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

stevehousse

Speaking of P & F, did any of u see the marvel / P&F crossover movie? My kids love it! Me, it's kinda weird...

And can someone clue me in to the whole PUSH debacle? That thread is too long to sift through...lol

DougK

A few years ago, the PAP discount was $100-$125. Right now, it's $245. Disney is simply fishing for the right ticket discount to get DVC members back into the parks.

Last year's $300 PAP discount was popular. That was a 43% ticket discount. When has Disney ever offered a 43% ticket discount? Disney's is seeing if they can get away with a smaller discount.

In growing numbers, DVC members are simply becoming bored with WDW. The new "Membership Magic" promotion is Disney's attempt to get DVC members spending back within WDW property by offering unique experiences and extra discounts.

WDW is losing DVC member money to other Orlando attractions, something that would have been unthinkable 5 years ago.

They should bring back the $399 PAP for DVC members. That would definitely make me buy new APs after my current ones expire this April. Instead they are offering a nice discount but still the price has gone up from that $399 to $484, almost a $100 increase, times two in my case since my wife and I both get one. This is really making me think hard about buying new APs, and if I don't buy new APs I will likely become one of those people who stay at DVC (because we love the resorts) but spend way more time for way less money at Universal. We already always rent a car when we are visiting Orlando even when we just do Disney so visiting Universal and other places more often (and Disney parks less often) would be very easy.

Again for the detractors PLEASE understand I am not saying Disney OWES us anything, I just think it would have been a smart move to offer that $399 price for another year or two. As @ParentsOf4 said Disney, and for that matter any business, is always struggling to find just the right price point. I think that $399 PAP was just right for 2014.

stevehousse

Apparently there's been a breakdown in negotiations between Disney and the performer/operators of PUSH.

Never mind, Disney have announced to CM's that they have a brilliant replacement lined up, another wonderful dance party.
LOL who doesn't love a good dance party! :rolleyes:

Couldnt they just have canned the person that does push and have a different CM control him? I'm confused on that? Or was it like the Epcot WS performer type deals?

NowInc

Interesting comments regarding hand-drawn animation at Disney:

Q: Is 2D animation dead?

Tom Bancroft: It’s a loaded question. It’s not dead but it’s in a coma. I think that’s the best answer. I really do see it coming back in a very small way. And here’s my answer to that. How will it come back? I think what we’re going to see is not the Disney, the DreamWorks, the Pixar, whatever big studio – especially Disney that was known for 2D – I don’t think they’re the ones that are going to bring it back. But the way it’s going to come back in a small way will be from a small independent company. A small group of people doing it, and probably in Europe unfortunately. I’d love to see it make a big comeback here in the U.S. but I think we’ll see a couple of smaller films that do really well, make a ton of money and it will be a nostalgic resurgence but it will be a mini one.

I don’t necessarily see Disney going back to it in any big way because the story you don’t hear that goes along with them not doing it anymore is that they don’t even have the equipment anymore. They’ve sold all of the animation desks, all of the software programs. They have very little equipment that’s 2D, they have even less 2D animators left. It’s literally a handful of 2D guys that are still there. So, bringing it back at Disney would be a momentous, a very expensive deal which I don’t see happening.

http://www.themousecastle.com/2014/02/the-bancroft-brothers-and-annie-awards.html

Sorry to reply so late on this one (wasnt online much this weekend)..

Regarding this (FINALLY a topic I can honestly say I am very well qualified to comment on as it pertains to what I do for a living),

ALL animators, regardless of the label they are given, are simply animators. 2D and 3D have the same foundations and require the same exact know how, the only difference being the tools used.

That being said, "2D" hasn't existed in its pure form in far longer than most realized. In fact, the term "traditional" animation has been used now for a bit to describe those who do it all on paper. The truth is that even "2D" animation is all done on computers. It is "hand drawn" on wacom tablets (some still do it on paper and scan it, where it is then traced on a computer anyway), colored and composited all on software suites. In fact, Disney animators helped design the software that does this (which after a nice UI overhaul to make it more "general public" friendly is available to anyone who wants to buy it at https://www.toonboom.com/ ) back when they were working on the Princess and the Frog. This whole process requires FAR less animators (as its a faster pipeline), and thats why many make a misconception of it being a "dieing breed".

The decision of how a movie looks in its final output is decided before its even started. Yes "3D" is the hot thing currently, but it always bugs me when people assume that a 3D animator is any different than one who does it all on paper. I do not know a single computer animator who's core curriculum in college wasn't largely spend in hand drawn animation classes (myself included).

Do I think traditional is dead? Not by a long shot. Its just not as common, but thats just how trends go.

Last edited:

FrankLapidus

LOL who doesn't love a good dance party! :rolleyes:

Couldnt they just have canned the person that does push and have a different CM control him? I'm confused on that? Or was it like the Epcot WS performer type deals?

I'm not sure to be honest, I do think PUSH leaving was entirely avoidable and that Disney were very stupid to publicly say that he was staying only for him to be gone forty-eight hours later.

doctornick

Or rip out the Speedway and place an attraction there...

Whch I'd be fine with. But if they want to use "virgin" land in MK, there is a huge amount inside the berm north of the current Fantastyland. You'd just have to create a walkway over the current access road.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom