BLACKFISH

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPatton

Original Poster
On the occasion that a whale does leave the pod, at what age does that happen in the wild compared to captivity?

Master Yoda, I see no comparison at all. The killer whales at SeaWorld are not allowed to maintain pods. Captive orcas have no choice in where they go or stay. (See post #369.)

Last edited:

919Florida

We should just stop responding. All he's doing now is to use his responses to further his lobbying....
Totally agree. This entire thread is not serving any purpose or providing any benefits to anyone but building jpatton up. It gets old seeing them come in and post huge pictures and stories from other sites saying the same old thing over and over again and not adding anything relative anymore. Yes "blackfish" is a topic and I can see it being discussed but its like arguing with a wall. You post your reply to the nonsense and all you get back is more posts with large pictures and colors with content from other sources that doesnt even address the replies you gave back.

Last edited:

JPatton

Original Poster
SeaWorld Orlando hit capacity today.

There might have been other days during this holiday period when they could have hit capacity but did not because of the public's changing attitude toward having orcas in captivity for entertainment purposes.

And how many people in that capacity crowd will ever want to go back to the park? Some people experience a change of heart regarding orca captivity even while they are visiting SeaWorld. I know this because they tell me so.

But whatever..

It's an evolutionary process that we're in.

Do you know what has got to go?....

That Shamu show.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There might have been other days during this holiday period when they could have hit capacity but did not because of the public's changing attitude toward having orcas in captivity for entertainment purposes.

And how many people in that capacity crowd will ever want to go back to the park? Some people experience a change of heart regarding orca captivity even while they are visiting SeaWorld. I know this because they tell me so.

But whatever..

That Shamu show.
How would they tell you unless you were in the park at the same time?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

But whatever..

That Shamu show.
And yet it just kills your PR campaign that they did. Unlike your premise that they could have on some others....

How much does your heart (and the rest of you) make? And is it per post or Tweet?

drew81

But whatever..

That Shamu show.

The Shamu show isn't going anywhere. I respect your feelings but beating the dead horse doesn't sway many people on here.

There's a better chance of Saved by the Bell being awarded an Emmy for best series of the last 25 years.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The Shamu show isn't going anywhere. I respect your feelings but beating the dead horse doesn't sway many people on here.

There's a better chance of Saved by the Bell being awarded an Emmy for best series of the last 25 years.
I'm so excited for Zack and the gang! It's about time that they got recognized for their ground breaking social commentary.

JPatton

Original Poster
They are pretty much a separate species now. Orcas haven't been captured from the wild in 30 years by Sea World, and the majority of captive whales today were born in the parks. It is just like a dog. Dogs used to be wild, but people caught them and brought them home. They adapted to become less ravenous or wild than wolves and such. If you have a dog you understand. Sae goes for the whales. These whales being born in captivity don't understand how to survive in the wild, just like your dog would become confused. It is a new species. JMHO

Same does not go for whales, jdmdisney99. Captive-born orcas are not a new species.

“All of the science tells us that the welfare of wild-caught as well as captive-born dolphins and whales is equally poor. They still live the same short, stressful lives, die of the same diseases, show the same behavioral abnormalities. What that tells you is that captivity is fundamentally incompatible with what these animals need to thrive. And it doesn’t matter if they are born in captivity. That doesn’t make them domesticated. They’re still wild.”

Lori Marino, Ph.D.
Senior Lecturer in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology at Emory University
Faculty Member in the Emory Center for Ethics

JPatton

Original Poster
Bc8b07vCEAIlj4T.jpg

These whales being born in captivity don't understand how to survive in the wild...

You may be right about that, jdmdisney99.

And if life in captivity damages an orca so much that it could not be expected to function normally in the natural environment, maybe we should abolish the practice altogether.

There is always the possibility that things can be done differently....

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Bc8b07vCEAIlj4T.jpg

You may be right about that, jdmdisney99.

And if life in captivity damages an orca so much that it could not be expected to function normally in the natural environment, maybe we should abolish the practice altogether.

There is always the possibility that things can be done differently....
I don't know.
Still not addressing the questions you don't like to answer. But, who am I to stop a guy from trying to earn?

919Florida

This is just crazy. And we don’t need all these pictures to prove any points. Here are some facts for you:

Discrepancy arises from how the statistics are calculated. Anti-cap activists use data for all known whales taken or bred into captivity, while SeaWorld use figures only for its own whales. Which it should. They are SeaWorld's whales and they care for them. You should not count everyone in with SeaWorld. Studies continue to define the average life span of killer whales in the wild, the most recent science suggests that SeaWorld's whales’ life spans are comparable — indeed, five of our animals are older than 30, and one of our whales is close to 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom