The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

willtravel

My guess is that the only monorail WDW will be selling is the plastic model one they sell in the gift shops.

I hate to say it, but I could see them closing the monorail before selling it to a 3rd party.

Then again, technically the DVC owners are footing part of the bill for the current monorail's operating costs so they have technically sold a piece of it already.
So hypothetically, if the monorail was close down, how would that affect DVC owners dues? DVC owners own a piece of monorail?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why would they close it when they can make money on it if they sell it? Or they can spin it off as an independent division that is free to collect fees from it, make a public offering, take bank loans, enter into partnerships, etc.

Please explain how DVC owners are footing part of the operating bill. I didn't know about that.
So hypothetically, if the monorail was close down, how would that affect DVC owners dues? DVC owners own a piece of monorail?
Sorry. I should have clarified. At all DVC resorts a portion of the maintenance fees goes to transportation. In most cases it pays for busses. At BLT and GF villas and soon to be Poly DVC part of the transportation fees covers part of the cost of the resort monorail line since those DVC resorts share the monorail with their hotels. So not all DVC members are paying for the monorail, just those specific resorts. Assuming that buses are cheaper than the monorail the fees at those resorts would theoretically go down if the monorail closed and was replaced with buses.

asianway

They don't. The monorail provides transportation services to the master condominium at the resorts. The DVC and hotel are members of the master and pay a prorata share of all expenses that run through it-feature pool, landscaping, parking lot maintenance etc. presumably, as they contract with themselves acting on behalf of the condominium they can charge whatever they want.

PeterAlt

Sorry. I should have clarified. At all DVC resorts a portion of the maintenance fees goes to transportation. In most cases it pays for busses. At BLT and GF villas and soon to be Poly DVC part of the transportation fees covers part of the cost of the resort monorail line since those DVC resorts share the monorail with their hotels. So not all DVC members are paying for the monorail, just those specific resorts. Assuming that buses are cheaper than the monorail the fees at those resorts would theoretically go down if the monorail closed and was replaced with buses.
My first reaction to your previous post was, "Cool, let's build more DVC units to pay for monorail expansion!" Lol

Any way, that's what I kind of figured. So, what you do is have the newly formed monorail subsidiary enter into a 50-year maintenance fee contract with WDW for the DVC units. That contract would still be binding once the monorail subsidiary is spun off.

PeterAlt

Let me add that by entering a contract between a newly created monorail subsidiary and WDW's DVC units for a fixed number of years of mandatory monorail operating and maintenance fees, that money can not be used for anything else, especially if the subsidiary is spun off. It's a protection mechanism to guarantee that Disney won't steel from Peter to pay for Paul!

PeterAlt

That is why the Disney Vacation Club was an attractive prospect for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, but it does not relate to the actual business of the Disney Vacation Club. The Resorts don't get a cut of business transactions at the parks or other resorts.
Are the DVC resorts organized under there own (Disney wholly-owned) subsidiary?

PeterAlt

The Hotels are built by Disney Vacation Development, and operated by Disney Vacation Management so actually two subsidiaries
And what about the monorail system? I know the RCID operates it, but what subsidiary owns it? Is it owned by WDW? And the bus fleet? Boat fleet?

I know, at DL, Walt organized the monorail, the Main Street trolley, the DL Railroad, and the Tiki Birds into a separate company, which he controlled, outside the control of the Disney organization. That company would eventually be bought by Walt Disney Productions and merge.

PeterAlt

You stumbled into my point. Children become aware of the Star Wars characters as their rabid fan boy and girl parents revel in the nostalgia. Of course, these young children use the terms "Light Saver" and "Dark Bader" to imitate their parents retelling of the Star Wars opera. The kids themselves have never seen one frame of a Star Wars film yet they've heard of the characters via the fan nerd pipeline. The children see the Star Wars characters as pitchmen for cars and phones.

It may sound bizarre, but rumors persist that Harrison Ford might play the part of Han Solo again. I can't think of a quicker way to end the franchise.
He is playing him again. Why is this bizarre? He, Luke, Leia, and possibly Lando are in this trilogy as older characters. Their children, who will be in their late teens and early twenties, are the focus of the story.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And what about the monorail system? I know the RCID operates it, but what subsidiary owns it? Is it owned by WDW? And the bus fleet? Boat fleet?

I know, at DL, Walt organized the monorail, the Main Street trolley, the DL Railroad, and the Tiki Birds into a separate company, which he controlled, outside the control of the Disney organization. That company would eventually be bought by Walt Disney Productions and merge.

This shows that Walt was well aware of what the 'Sharp Pencil Boys' would try so he kept these essential elements of the park outside of their scope of control.

Funmeister

WDW owns and operates the monorail not RCID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom