BLACKFISH

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You said this so well. I agree with everything you said

Another great post here. Very few Orca's are from the ocean now. Almost all have been born in the parks. They don't know what life in the wild is like and they don't need to be. They are taken well care of contrary to what others say. The care they receive is top notch and I see it nearly every day.

These animals at SeaWorld who remain in the park are animal ambassadors to their ancestors in the ocean. Guest's everyday who see these animals will change their life and behaviors because when they leave they want to do everything they can do to help. Countless people leave SeaWorld every day with a new understanding of these animals.

Nearly 30,000 animals rescued and released to the wild is a huge number. Over 10 million dollars donated to research and conservation. This is all huge steps and makes a difference. SeaWorld makes a difference and our oceans and marine animals are better off because of places like SeaWorld.
However, making sense isn't near as sensationalistic as calling for the boycott of SeaWorld.

Sensationalism is what the film is great at and what keeps this thread alive.

JPatton

Original Poster
....with only 50+/- Orca's in captivity in the ENTIRE WORLD, this is really a small story.

Okay....but your number doesn't include future generations of orcas who would be born in captivity. It doesn't include future orcas like Morgan (Loro Parque) who would be "rescued" from the wild, put on display, and not returned to the wild.

JPatton

Original Poster
The outrage over the Orca seems to center around their perceived intelligence but where is the outrage for the gorilla or elephants? Both intelligent and social.

Some would ask us to consider that captivity and display in a zoo or aquarium is experienced differently by terrestrial animals (elephants) than it is by ocean-dwelling marine mammals (orcas).

Okay....but your number doesn't include future generations of orcas who would be born in captivity. It doesn't include future orcas like Morgan (Loro Parque) who would be "rescued" from the wild, put on display, and not returned to the wild.
I did say that breeding issues need to be resolved and I think that should be acceptable to your posture, although I am not expert enough to be the arbiter as to what the end result is.

Was just about to post this. Thanks for doing so. I suspect that it will ultimately get a nomination but at this point, the favorite doc going in is apparently something called Stories We Tell. It's been scooping up a lot of early awards in this category. I have no idea what it is even about.
As I said before, Blackfish deserves a nomination but it cannot beat a truly objective doc. film like "Stories" ... Blackfish is a sensationalistic look at the corporate world we live in. Well done but its bias is showing.

luv

Of course Blackfish was nominated. It will probably win, which is a shame, since it isn't really a documentary.

People who made REAL documentaries should win.

Someone who made a real documentary didn't get nominated because of this, which is also a shame. :(

magicallactose

Was just about to post this. Thanks for doing so. I suspect that it will ultimately get a nomination but at this point, the favorite doc going in is apparently something called Stories We Tell. It's been scooping up a lot of early awards in this category. I have no idea what it is even about.

I saw Stories We Tell at the Toronto International Film Fest, and it was amazing. It's from actor/director Sarah Polley. She weaves together interviews with her own family members and old super 8 footage to explore her family's past. The description sounds dull, but it is a moving, unusual, and incredibly original documentary.

I have seen Blackfish also. It's a solid documentary, but I think Stories We Tell should win the Oscar.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Of course Blackfish was nominated. It will probably win, which is a shame, since it isn't really a documentary.

Someone who made a real documentary didn't get nominated because of this, which is also a shame. :(
Do real documentaries even exist? A real documentary should be done like scientific research. Start with a hypothesis, gather data and come to a conclusion based on ALL the data. Everyone I have ever seen is done like pseudoscience where you start with a conclusion find/create/edit the data to fit your conclusion, ignore your rest then present your findings as fact.

BuddyThomas

Where is the unlike button?

BuddyThomas

I saw Stories We Tell at the Toronto International Film Fest, and it was amazing. It's from actor/director Sarah Polley. She weaves together interviews with her own family members and old super 8 footage to explore her family's past. The description sounds dull, but it is a moving, unusual, and incredibly original documentary.

I have seen Blackfish also. It's a solid documentary, but I think Stories We Tell should win the Oscar.
Well, of course, neither are even nominated yet, but Stories We Tell is the current favorite.

OFTeric

It really is a shoddily constructed film. I cannot believe that it is really considered a "best documentary" The Cove was moving and tragic.

Blackfish is honestly boring, and full of poorly edited and leading interviews with footage crammed together without context or logic.

OFTeric

A brilliant critique of BlackFish
Written from the POV of a lawyer.

... Ms. Cowperthwaite has misled, either intentionally or negligently, her audience into believing that there is no “other side” to the story.Her film manipulates its audience brilliantly and seamlessly, not only convincing its audience that the film presents facts, but convincing them that the film presents the only facts.

http://www.legalrollercoaster.com/2013/11/blackfish-white-lies-prologue.html

Then part 1 in the 3 part series looks at the bias of the people in BlackFish

http://www.legalrollercoaster.com/2013/11/blackfish-white-lies-pt-1-sorry-i.html

http://www.legalrollercoaster.com/2013/11/blackfish-white-lies-pt-2-art-of.html

Brilliant read for anyone who believed the lies.

Last edited:
A brilliant critique of BlackFish
Written from the POV of a lawyer.

http://www.legalrollercoaster.com/2013/11/blackfish-white-lies-prologue.html

Then part 1 in the 3 part series looks at the bias of the people in BlackFish

http://www.legalrollercoaster.com/2013/11/blackfish-white-lies-pt-1-sorry-i.html

http://www.legalrollercoaster.com/2013/11/blackfish-white-lies-pt-2-art-of.html

Brilliant read for anyone who believed the lies.

Thanks! It is nice to read something that may cause us to look more objectively, rather than just passionately at this film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom