Value Resort during Value season (Jan/Feb 2014) (Moderate option on back burner)

pixiesteno

Thanks so much for the heads up. My mom did receive a pin last fall but she was already in Florida and the travel dates would not match mine. Here's hoping we get another one this year too *wishful thinking*;) Have you stayed at any of the Family Suites at AoA? Again, only seen the videos of the planning DVD and some photos online so I'm a newbie about that *LOL*
I have not stayed in the AoA family suites but have stayed in the ASMu family suites numerous times. We love them. There are two bathroom, a nice kitchenette, master bedroom with a queen bed, several fold out sleeping beds in the main living area. We really like ASMu resort but have not stayed recently due to taking our RV to FWC!

Disney80

Original Poster
I have not stayed in the AoA family suites but have stayed in the ASMu family suites numerous times. We love them. There are two bathroom, a nice kitchenette, master bedroom with a queen bed, several fold out sleeping beds in the main living area. We really like ASMu resort but have not stayed recently due to taking our RV to FWC!
Ahhh! Got it! :p

Disney80

Original Poster
Subquestion I just thought of...

Anyone who stayed at the AoA family suites (or ASMu family suites), is it super noisy or is it reasonable? My guess it also depends what time of year, with my potential trip being in Jan/Feb 2014 during value season, it should be acceptable.

Just putting pros and cons of each category and hotel in a document to make a well-informed decision. Is it September yet? (see my original post as to why I mention September) *giggles*

Skibum1970

I don't know. Typically, the discounts appear about two months prior to the effective time. So, for January, the discounts are opened in November-ish. When I am waiting to book, I check the WDW website Special Offers and just keep an eye on them. Others may have a more scientific method than I do.

Disney80

Original Poster
I don't know. Typically, the discounts appear about two months prior to the effective time. So, for January, the discounts are opened in November-ish. When I am waiting to book, I check the WDW website Special Offers and just keep an eye on them. Others may have a more scientific method than I do.

*thumbs up*

Thank you!

pixiesteno

Subquestion I just thought of...

Anyone who stayed at the AoA family suites (or ASMu family suites), is it super noisy or is it reasonable? My guess it also depends what time of year, with my potential trip being in Jan/Feb 2014 during value season, it should be acceptable.

Just putting pros and cons of each category and hotel in a document to make a well-informed decision. Is it September yet? (see my original post as to why I mention September) *giggles*
Our last stay at ASMu suites was at the end of Jan 2010 we were located in the Calypso section (bldg. 10) on the ground floor. You would have thought that we would have been disturbed by the main pool but we did not hear a lot of noise at all. Yes, it was warm enough to swim during the day (high 70s - 80s) but jeans and sweater weather at night. Just as an aside, ASMu resort has a great dining area and selections. The difference in price during Jan 2014 value season time is a suite at ASMu is running 239 a night and AoA at 298 per night.

Bluenoser

I would always choose a moderate over a value if funds allowed. I dislike the full size beds and prefer the queen. That's the only reason I won't stay at Caribbean Beach Resort.

Disney80

Original Poster
Our last stay at ASMu suites was at the end of Jan 2010 we were located in the Calypso section (bldg. 10) on the ground floor. You would have thought that we would have been disturbed by the main pool but we did not hear a lot of noise at all. Yes, it was warm enough to swim during the day (high 70s - 80s) but jeans and sweater weather at night. Just as an aside, ASMu resort has a great dining area and selections. The difference in price during Jan 2014 value season time is a suite at ASMu is running 239 a night and AoA at 298 per night.

Thanks for that! *thumbs up* Pricing is also a factor worth looking into.

Disney80

Original Poster
I would always choose a moderate over a value if funds allowed. I dislike the full size beds and prefer the queen. That's the only reason I won't stay at Caribbean Beach Resort.

Thank you for your reply.

So many factors need to be considered so we'll see when it's booking time what decision my family makes.

However, I asked for opinions as I have never visited the Value and or Moderate Resorts and people's experiences might be something to consider, in my book anways.

I appreciate your response.

Disney80

Original Poster
Update on hotel status.... and updated thread title!

Last weekend, I showed my Mom the various options between Value and Moderate. We have ruled out (for now anyways) the Moderate option. I have yet to show my Dad but I'm sure he'll say «whatever your mother agrees to, that's fine with me...»:rolleyes:

Looks like it would be All-Stars (either Music or Movies) but they are «older» and I'm not so sure about it. Mom and I would love to go to AoA but Mermaid being so far back is kind of an issue for us.

I am thinking a good compromise is Pop Century. Price-wise (when I quoted it) it was about 10 bucks more than the AS so it's not that big of a deal.

Any opinions on Pop versus All-Stars? What section would you recommend at the Pop...

Again, I know the rooms are small and have double beds. We don't really mind as we have been in a RV mode for the past 23 years so we're used to maximize small spaces :hilarious:

Minthorne

That time of year (Jan-Mar) historically has had room discounts announced in Oct/Nov for 15-35% depending on the room type. You might want to wait and see if it happens again. For example this past year:

Stay datesType of DiscountBecame Available
1/2/13-3/7/1315%-35% off room-only rates for Disney’s Visa cardholders (also bookable as package) 10/3/12, exp 12/31/12
1/2/13-3/7/1315%-35% off general public room-only rates (also bookable as package)10/10/12, exp 12/31/12
1/2/13-3/22/1325%-37% off Annual Passholder room-only rates11/15/12, exp 1/1/13
1/2/13-3/22/1320%-37% off Florida resident room-only rates12/5/12, exp 1/1/13
1/2/13-3/22/1320%-35% off Annual Passholder room-only rates1/2/13, exp 3/22/13
1/2/13-3/22/1315%-35% off Florida resident room-only rates1/2/13, exp 3/22/13
2/18/13-3/23/1315%-30% off room-only rates for Disney’s Visa cardholders12/27/12, exp 3/7/13
2/18/13-3/23/13package deal for Disney’s Visa cardholders with 15%-30% off room rates and discounted 4- to 10-day tickets12/27/12, exp 3/7/13
2/18/13-3/23/1315%-30% off general public room-only rates1/3/13, exp 3/7/13

You ca find all this info at http://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/

Disney80

Original Poster
That time of year (Jan-Mar) historically has had room discounts announced in Oct/Nov for 15-35% depending on the room type. You might want to wait and see if it happens again. For example this past year:

Stay datesType of DiscountBecame Available
1/2/13-3/7/1315%-35% off room-only rates for Disney’s Visa cardholders (also bookable as package) 10/3/12, exp 12/31/12
1/2/13-3/7/1315%-35% off general public room-only rates (also bookable as package)10/10/12, exp 12/31/12
1/2/13-3/22/1325%-37% off Annual Passholder room-only rates11/15/12, exp 1/1/13
1/2/13-3/22/1320%-37% off Florida resident room-only rates12/5/12, exp 1/1/13
1/2/13-3/22/1320%-35% off Annual Passholder room-only rates1/2/13, exp 3/22/13
1/2/13-3/22/1315%-35% off Florida resident room-only rates1/2/13, exp 3/22/13
2/18/13-3/23/1315%-30% off room-only rates for Disney’s Visa cardholders12/27/12, exp 3/7/13
2/18/13-3/23/13package deal for Disney’s Visa cardholders with 15%-30% off room rates and discounted 4- to 10-day tickets12/27/12, exp 3/7/13
2/18/13-3/23/1315%-30% off general public room-only rates1/3/13, exp 3/7/13

You ca find all this info at http://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/

Yep I know. I do receive the newsletter and seen the website with that exact info. Now do you have any info on my updated message? ;)

LucyK

POFQ is a small resort, just one bus stop and with a ferry service to DTD. Taking your walking disability in consideration, it's a great choice. My mom is 70, has a bad knee and we stayed at POFQ for our first staying on site and we both fell in love with it, to the point where I can't see myself staying anywhere else.

Disney80

Original Poster
Yup. You already must know though. Sorry for bothering you with information you already had. Good luck.

:grumpy:

I didn't mean it in a bad way at all...:oops: You are not bothering me, I was just making sure you read my updated message :confused:

Sorry about the confusion, any information is always welcomed ;)

Have a nice day!

Disney80

Original Poster
POFQ is a small resort, just one bus stop and with a ferry service to DTD. Taking your walking disability in consideration, it's a great choice. My mom is 70, has a bad knee and we stayed at POFQ for our first staying on site and we both fell in love with it, to the point where I can't see myself staying anywhere else.

I know! *sigh* I have considered going to POFQ but Mom and Dad told me that if we're going, we're going on a budget for accomodations (sometimes, I think they still consider that they have the RV) :rolleyes:

I guess I'll have to wait some more before making a final decision. Still awaiting confirmation about my work situation. I'm getting antsy but can't do a thing for now...:(

Thank you for your input!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My first two trips I got a great deal upgrading from Pop to CBR...

If it's within a few hundred dollars, I think it's worth it, but that's my personal choice.

With respect to All Stars vs Pop, I've not stayed in the All Stars, but my sister has and I've walked the grounds...

I'd do Pop, for one primary reason. Busses.

1) It has it's own dedicated bus service (the All Stars share)
2) You can also use the AoA bus (very convenient after a long day at the parks, or if you want to eat at the AoA food court to try something different than Pop and then head out to the parks.

If you are not planning on using the busses, the benefits drop away, obviously.

But, if you can get a good deal on CBR or POFQ or POR...I'd do any of those resorts any day over the Values, with the exception of a family suite at AoA possibly...

wdisneyw2000

From what iv'e been reading it's about a 10-15 min walk from AOA TLM to the front. I don't know i guess it depends on the person. I'll be there Sunday aug 4th to the 10th. As far as you falling in love with tLM @AOA the walk might not bother you because you got it in your head that your in love with it meaning you would i'm sure block most of the hurt out from the disability because of your happiness of staying at the place you got in your mind that you love. Sorry sounds like a babble on & on lol

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I was there in August (not in TLM, it wasn't quite open yet, I was at Pop), but I walked the whole AoA grounds, and right up to the construction walls at TLM.

I don't buy the 10 - 15 minute walk story, both from personal experience and mathmatically. Even travelling with a 7 year old scuffling her feet, we did it closer to 5.

Now, if you stop at every single statue and decoration and stare at it and take pictures, yeah, it could easily take 10 - 15 minutes...

It's about a 1000 - 1200 foot walk from TLM to the bus stops (unless you cut through Animation Hall, then it is longer, because you have to walk 1/3 of the way down the building, then through it, and then back up to the bus stops...)

For a comparison, you are 700 - 1000 feet away if you stay in the Lion King area. For further comparison, from TLM to the bus stops is about the same distance as walking from the gates at Magic Kingdom to the Castle.

If the average stride is 3 feet, that's around 350 strides, which if you take one stride per second (which is a very slow pace, try it out yourself), it comes out to around 6 minutes.

Disney80

Original Poster
From what iv'e been reading it's about a 10-15 min walk from AOA TLM to the front. I don't know i guess it depends on the person. I'll be there Sunday aug 4th to the 10th. As far as you falling in love with tLM @AOA the walk might not bother you because you got it in your head that your in love with it meaning you would i'm sure block most of the hurt out from the disability because of your happiness of staying at the place you got in your mind that you love. Sorry sounds like a babble on & on lol

That's okay LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom