Value Resort during Value season (Jan/Feb 2014) (Moderate option on back burner)

Disney80

Original Poster
Been reading quite a lot before I decided to join in. I have not found the answer to my question so I am hoping all the helpful members on here will be able to narrow my options.

Here's the situation: we are planning to go back to WDW in early 2014 in either January or February during Value season. This will be my 8th trip to the World, and it will be my parents' 7th trip. The first few trip, we were staying off-site. We started staying on site as of 2002 in our RV, therefore at Fort Wilderness. We no longer have the RV and are considering going to WDW as previously mentioned.

Which hotel would you recommend for 3 adults? Value or Moderate?
Is there any chance of a discount with AAA at that time?

I have fallen in love with AoA - Little Mermaid section but been told it is quite far from the main buildings and I do have a walking disability.

I will not be able to book right away as I am awaiting confirmation from my work as to when I will be on vacation. My parents will be in Florida for 6 months so they don't have a timing issue, but I do *LOL*. I'll be flying in and we will be driving to WDW. I should know within the next 2 months.

Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and looking forward to be reading your replies

Zman-ks

Moderate, if at all possible...
75.gif

x2, its worth it. :)

Disney80

Original Poster
So far, seems like Moderate is winning over Value ;)

Which one would you recommend? I have visited POFQ and liked the theme. Would it be a good choice?

Thank you again for any input!

75disney

I would suggest a moderate resort. A Value resort room could be tight with three adults. Plus at a moderate, there are two sinks in the room whereas the value rooms just have one sink and the moderates have 2 queen beds while the values have 2 doubles. The theming at the moderates is a more sophisticated, yet still amazing, which may appeal to adults more. The moderates have lounges with nightly entertainment as well. If you want a themed room, you could always stay in a princess themed room at POR (it will cost about $30 per night more than a standard view room). Or you could get a preferred room (again a slight increase in cost over a standard view) which you puts you closer to the main building and a bus stop and could cut down on your walking time.
I don't know much about AoA so I can't really compare it, but I did stay at the All Star Sports once (after staying mostly at moderates and deluxe) and I swore that I would never stay at a value again.

Good luck with your decision!

75disney

POFQ is the smallest moderate resort. POR, CBR, and CSR are very large and you my end up walking far to reach the food court, pool, or bus stop depending on where your room is located. If you stay at one of these, I would commend a Preferred room category. At POFQ, you don't need it because everything is a nice walking distance to each other. We stayed there last year and loved it.

jkl2000

I just wanted to point out that if you've "fallen in love" with AoA, and you've done so many previous trips in an RV, you'd probably be ok staying at AoA. But I will defer to the people here with actual experience with these resorts... :)

Disney80

Original Poster
I just wanted to point out that if you've "fallen in love" with AoA, and you've done so many previous trips in an RV, you'd probably be ok staying at AoA. But I will defer to the people here with actual experience with these resorts... :)

I've only seen picture and some videos about AoA (and I'm a big kid at heart, yes even at 32 (I'll be 33 during the trip) :D But my walking disability is something I should consider so :oops:

Thanks for your input jkl2000!

Disney80

Original Poster
POFQ is the smallest moderate resort. POR, CBR, and CSR are very large and you my end up walking far to reach the food court, pool, or bus stop depending on where your room is located. If you stay at one of these, I would commend a Preferred room category. At POFQ, you don't need it because everything is a nice walking distance to each other. We stayed there last year and loved it.

I didn't know that! Thanks so much for that info. It will certainly be considered when we finally make our final selection... and I have 2 other people to discuss with so... *LOL*

jkl2000

I've only seen picture and some videos about AoA (and I'm a big kid at heart, yes even at 32 (I'll be 33 during the trip) :D But my walking disability is something I should consider so :oops:

Thanks for your input jkl2000!

Yeah, I guess the walking issue is most important.

Disney80

Original Poster
I would suggest a moderate resort. A Value resort room could be tight with three adults. Plus at a moderate, there are two sinks in the room whereas the value rooms just have one sink and the moderates have 2 queen beds while the values have 2 doubles. The theming at the moderates is a more sophisticated, yet still amazing, which may appeal to adults more. The moderates have lounges with nightly entertainment as well. If you want a themed room, you could always stay in a princess themed room at POR (it will cost about $30 per night more than a standard view room). Or you could get a preferred room (again a slight increase in cost over a standard view) which you puts you closer to the main building and a bus stop and could cut down on your walking time.
I don't know much about AoA so I can't really compare it, but I did stay at the All Star Sports once (after staying mostly at moderates and deluxe) and I swore that I would never stay at a value again.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for your input and information and also thank you for the information provided. ;)

pixiesteno

You could consider a family suite at either AoA or All Star Music. I know that family suites at ASMu are close to the main hall and bus area. Just as a heads up, I received a pin for a room discount for early 2014, so WDW is already looking at discounts during that timeframe. But I would check with AAA because you might do better than direct with WDW. Be sure to mention your walking difficulties when the trip is booked so they can note it on the reservation to consider for room assignment.

Disney80

Original Poster
Yeah, I guess the walking issue is most important.
It does matter and WDW being so wide-spread (not complaining, just stating a fact), it impacts any trips, any activity that I do so that's why planning is important to me.

Been in a RV (for trips) for 23 years and now it's «a whole new world» for us. My parents travel differently and so will I, by association when I go with them.

Disney80

Original Poster
You could consider a family suite at either AoA or All Star Music. I know that family suites at ASMu are close to the main hall and bus area. Just as a heads up, I received a pin for a room discount for early 2014, so WDW is already looking at discounts during that timeframe. But I would check with AAA because you might do better than direct with WDW. Be sure to mention your walking difficulties when the trip is booked so they can note it on the reservation to consider for room assignment.

Thanks so much for the heads up. My mom did receive a pin last fall but she was already in Florida and the travel dates would not match mine. Here's hoping we get another one this year too *wishful thinking*;) Have you stayed at any of the Family Suites at AoA? Again, only seen the videos of the planning DVD and some photos online so I'm a newbie about that *LOL*

TheMouseFan

Most of the time you will get a better discount with WDW promotions than with AAA. You can always book with the AAA discount and switch to a better deal when it comes out. I priced out a package for our June 2014 trip and the AAA discount worked out to only about 3%!:eek: If you decide to go with AoA, there is no AAA discount available for The Little Mermaid rooms. I agree that you may be more comfortable in a moderate with 3 adults. Have a great trip!

Disney80

Original Poster
Most of the time you will get a better discount with WDW promotions than with AAA. You can always book with the AAA discount and switch to a better deal when it comes out. I priced out a package for our June 2014 trip and the AAA discount worked out to only about 3%!:eek: If you decide to go with AoA, there is no AAA discount available for The Little Mermaid rooms. I agree that you may be more comfortable in a moderate with 3 adults. Have a great trip!

Wow! Didn't know about that. Again, we're so used to work with campground pricing and discounts that hotels are a whole thing for me. Not that I've never been a hotel room, never been at WDW. I appreciate the info *thumbs up*

Disney80

Original Poster
My personal recommendation is wait for the value season discounts and book a moderate. Choose either Coronado or PORS. They give a little more of that Disney feel.

Dumb question: any idea when I should expect the value discounts to become available? o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom