Safety Raid at DLR. Could it happen here?

danv3

It's not clear to me why these rides would be shut down as a result of these issues. Even if we assume that the exterior of Space Mountain is unsafe for workers because fall protection isn't present, what does that have to do with the interior, operational portion of the ride?

danv3

It's also interesting to me that DOSH did this on a weekend so that it's more painful for Disney and harder for Disney to try to challenge it in court or even within the agency (do you think DOSH bureaucrats in Sacramento take calls on the weekend? LOL) According to the citation, DOSH has been investigating since November. These closures could have waited until Monday, or, if so urgent, could have been implemented months ago.

lego606

MagicBandit
It's not clear to me why these rides would be shut down as a result of these issues. Even if we assume that the exterior of Space Mountain is unsafe because fall protection isn't present, what does that have to do with the interior, operational portion of the ride?

There were apparently other issues with the operational portion. (I heard something about seatbelts?)

I believe Disney themselves shut down the rides in order to abate the required changes.

Did Knee

These closures could have waited until Monday, or, if so urgent, could have been implemented months ago.
If they were told to fix it in 2006 and still haven't then maybe somebody felt they needed to give TDA a big fat wake up call. They had been warned apparently to fix it, then had an accident in December with a "serious injury" and still hadn't fixed it. From what I read so far, they kind of set themselves up for this.

danv3

If they were told to fix it in 2006 and still haven't then maybe somebody felt they needed to give TDA a big fat wake up call. They had been warned apparently to fix it, then had an accident in December with a "serious injury" and still hadn't fixed it. From what I read so far, they kind of set themselves up for this.

Yeah, but that only appears to relate to the exterior of Space Mountain. They also needed to shut down three other E tickets at the same time, five months after the injury at Space Mountain?

Did Knee

Yeah, but that only appears to relate to the exterior of Space Mountain. They also needed to shut down three other E tickets at the same time, five months after the injury at Space Mountain?
It DOES seem extreme, but we don't know the nature of the violations on those other attractions. But the Space Mountian issues were first cited seven YEARS ago. Look at it this way: If you got a fixit ticket for an out tail light on your car and you kept getting ticketed for that tail light month after month without ever fixing it, wouldn't you expect them eventually to just arrest you and impound your car? It sounds like basically that's what happened here.

Did Knee

Let me expound further on my analogy. Their tail light finally caused an accident where someone was seriously injured. THEN they arrested them and impounded their car.....

SkipperButler

Eh if that was true half the rides would be closed for mandatory maintenance right now
Reedy Creek isn't concerned with the operational maintenance of broken effects. As long as the ride is able to function without someone being injured, then the attractions are allowed to be in operation. Reedy Creek is not concerned with show quality. However, they can shut a ride down for not having proper emergency lighting, blocked exits, maximum capacity, etc.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
It is also why the fines were high for the monorail and Primeval. Osha warns, gives adequate time, don't comply and this is what you get.

Look how much longer Primeval was shut down than it should have been after worker #2 died.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

mharrington

I see nothing funny about this! And yet, half the posts I read all seem to think of this as some kind of joke!

And just what I need to discover about the incident, and when I plan to go sometime in late June, too. I sure hope everything has been fixed up by then.

Uncle Lupe

Really? Did you go to http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/citation.html and read? Let me quote for you: "An employee of a contractor was seriously injured when performing exterior building maintenance on the Space Mountain attraction. During the investigation the Division learned that Disneyland Resort had completed “Fall Protection Assessment Reports” in August of 2006 and failed to adequately correct these known fall hazards that existed on the exterior of Space Mountain. "

Do you really find it funny that somebody was injured because Disney didn't fix stuff they were told to fix? If "I can't stop laughing" is how you truly feel then your lack of empathy is appalling.

I was not talking about the report, but the back and forth in this thread reads like three children fighting. Where in my post did it say that I was laughing at the report??? You really should not make ASSumptions.

misterID

The only reason I don't think this can happen at Walt Disney World is because I believe their is no similar agency in Florida with such jurisdiction over fixed amusements.

And for those rolling their eyes at California, the impetus for them to be so involved was Disney being responsible for the death of two guests.

I don't kow about Cali, but I know WDW is heavly involved in both political parties in Florida with deep influence and relationships, with sway over county commissions, state goverment agencies, etc. so if this happened in Florida today, there would be some unemployed inspectors tomorrow. WDW is a different entity to the state of FL than DLR is to Cali, which is boarderlined worshipped in FL (and IS worshipped in central Florida) rather than DLR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom