Would you do a solo trip?

epcotisbest

Original Poster
My wife and a group of others are headed down for the Disney Princess Half Marathon in a couple of weeks. They have a two bedroom condo offsite. They can only stay for four days. We can extend the condo rental for three more days, for a full week, for not very much more money, but the thing is none of the six women going, including my wife, can stay. I thought about going down when they are checking out and just staying for the rest of the week.
As much as I enjoy WDW, I have never been alone, and have never been without my wife. Part of me thinks a solo trip might be fun, but deep down I truly believe what makes WDW so magic for me is I have always shared it with my wonderful wife. She has been a few times without me, on all girl trips and half marathons, but I have never set foot in Florida without her and am not really sure I want to.
Is that silly?
Should I go ahead and go for a few days of alone time or just forget it?

EOD K9

Before I met my wife I was a DVC member and have taken 4 solo trips. I brought a book and my iPod to listen to. Its actually good because you are on your own schedule. While yes it is fun to go in a group, the only person to answer to is yourself. When I went on Peter Pan a CM asked me how many, I replied, he gave me this weird look like "one, really"? Then he gave me two of the good for any ride FPs, so I wouldn't have to wait by myself. Don't ever miss an opportunity to go.

RonAnnArbor

I LOVE solo trips, and in fact, I prefer them now to any with friends or family -- I love being able to do whatever I went, whenever I want, in any order I want...eating whenever I want...and not comprimising at all with any single other person...its the ultimate vacation now and I go multiple times a year by myself.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
I LOVE solo trips, and in fact, I prefer them now to any with friends or family -- I love being able to do whatever I went, whenever I want, in any order I want...eating whenever I want...and not comprimising at all with any single other person...its the ultimate vacation now and I go multiple times a year by myself.
Wow, that is a strong endorsement for a solo trip...I'm just so undecided.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
I wouldn't go solo yet. I'd go w/o my hubby though.:eek: My boys are great Disney fans, and they'd always go w/ me.:) I hope that if and when I become "grandma", I'll be able to take my grandkids to WDW.:)
Well, we don't have kids, so no grandkids to take in the future. We have borrowed nieces and nephews before. The good thing about that is if they get sick or need something, you can just take them home. Maybe we just skipped the parenting part and went straight to grandparent.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Before I met my wife I was a DVC member and have taken 4 solo trips. I brought a book and my iPod to listen to. Its actually good because you are on your own schedule. While yes it is fun to go in a group, the only person to answer to is yourself. When I went on Peter Pan a CM asked me how many, I replied, he gave me this weird look like "one, really"? Then he gave me two of the good for any ride FPs, so I wouldn't have to wait by myself. Don't ever miss an opportunity to go.
Sound like you enjoyed the solo trips. That was a nice castmember.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
This may sound VERY corny and cheesy but my Wife IS my best friend and together we have a blast. Been married for a little over 3 years but have been together for 14 and we have so many things in common that it would suck going solo.
Does not sound corny at all. 30 years for us and we celebrated our 30th at House of Blues gospel brunch at Downtown Disney then that night at Cali Grill watching fireworks.

Goofyernmost

I have been divorced for 12 years now. I have gone solo every year since then and have also taken "extra" trips with my daughters. I do find some things would be nice to share with someone, but other than that I have enjoyed it a lot. I do find that small things like if my feet start to hurt, I'm inclined to pack it in rather than sticking it out and seeing more things. Other than that...it is great to go when I want, see what I want to see, eat when and where I want and even leave when I want. I don't recommend it for every trip but certainly once can be a lot of fun. Different but still fun. If your wife really feels it's OK, then I don't see any problem. Be sure that's really how she feels though cause payback can be intense! :p:D:eek:

PUSH

Your wife doesn't matter! This is Disney!!!

Sarcasm, of course, but solo trips would be very fun for me. While I've never done one, I'd love to do what I want. I'd love to ride TTA as many times as I want without others getting annoyed by it. I'd love staying in the parks until closing without people wanting to go back to the room. I'd love to take it slow and enjoy the detail and magic without constantly rushing from attractions to attraction. A solo trip would allow me to step back and smell the roses while I normally don't get that much of a chance to do so. I wouldn't be afraid of it. Even if it doesn't match up to your other trips, you should have a great time still.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom