Fast pass plus

Alison1975

even better:

A FastPass+ selection for dining at a FastPass+ designated table service or quick service location secures your arrival window and allows you to order meal prior to your arrival window. Each guest who has ordered ahead must have a FastPass+ selection for the same arrival time and location confirmed by the Site/App.

Adam5897

When will the fast pass system that is beig used now expire? Do you think I will be able to get away with not using fast pass+ for my trip in April?

djlaosc

even better:

A FastPass+ selection for dining at a FastPass+ designated table service or quick service location secures your arrival window and allows you to order meal prior to your arrival window. Each guest who has ordered ahead must have a FastPass+ selection for the same arrival time and location confirmed by the Site/App.

Hopefully, if they do it, this will not come out of your 3 or 4 a day - if you eat two quick service meals at DHS, will you just be left with one attraction FP+ left? I wonder if they'll divide the restaurants into the two categories they have for each park as well - that would be stupid ("Sorry, you can't book your time for Toy Story Midway Mania, because you have a Fastpass for Toluca Turkey Leg Co. already reserved").

asianway

even better:

Or, they could have reopened Aunt Polly's & the Verandah. Anyone ever watch the Disney Industrial Engineering recruitment video on yt? Merf sent the link a while back

Alison1975

Hopefully, if they do it, this will not come out of your 3 or 4 a day - if you eat two quick service meals at DHS, will you just be left with one attraction FP+ left? I wonder if they'll divide the restaurants into the two categories they have for each park as well - that would be stupid ("Sorry, you can't book your time for Toy Story Midway Mania, because you have a Fastpass for Toluca Turkey Leg Co. already reserved").

I dont want to book a time to eat CS period.. not ok..not at all

ParentsOf4

MYW has nothing to do with onsite vs off or deluxe vs whatever. That point doesn't infer anything about preferential treatment. What it means is possibly... comp tickets may have other terms, passholders may have other terms, etc. Right now, everyone who 'buys' tickets and not an AP is on the same terms with advanced window. # of FPs tho could be a delta based on other factors.
Thanks, I agree with you. As it exists today, Magic Your Way (MYW) tickets have nothing to do with onsite vs. offsite guests. In my head (which I didn't explain in my post), I think of my "Key to the World" card as a different physical "ticket", which it is not. Instead, today's "Key to the World" card can be considered as containing my MYW ticket on it. I am speculating (just speculating) that there will be "bonus" FP+ for onsite guests, which currently are people who have a "Key to the World" card. However, by itself, a "Key to the World" card is not a ticket.

I suspect TDO has plans to recoup its $1.5B investment in NextGen. Since it's been posted several times that guests won't explicitly be charged for FP+, the only way I see NextGen not being a financial sinkhole is if FP+ is used to somehow increase onsite hotel occupancy or as a replacement for Extra Magic Hours (EMH) & "Free Dining".

All this is just speculation but I hope it makes sense.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am speculating (just speculating) that there will be "bonus" FP+ for onsite guests[...]

I too certainly see this as a possibility. It's an easy perk Disney can dole out without really costing them much beyond development costs. But I don't think anything in the ToS posted point towards or away these concepts. We just look at them as natural options that would likely be on the table.

captainkidd

Planning a vacation to WDW will soon require the same planning as a full scale military operation. I just don't want to be bothered with so much confusion. Planning meals is one thing. This whole ride scheduling is, in my opinion, absolutely ridiculous.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am not saying I am a huge fan of FP+. I don't really know how I feel since we don't have all of the details. I do think certain aspects are going to be a positive. Reserved spots for parades and fireworks to me is a huge plus. I hate waiting trying to save my spot. I am a bit of a planner anyway so I don't see the planning ahead as a big problem. Due to DDP you pretty much have to make ADRs 6 months out if you are going during a popular time. Because of this I have already locked in my park days at 6 months out. I know I'm doing MK on Sat and Wed, AK on Tue, EPCOT on Sun and so on. This doesn't change with FP+. With FP+ all signs point to a limit of maybe 4 reservations per day. Let's take MK as an example. If I book a reserved spot for Wishes with one reservation I am down to 3. I reserve BTMRR at 9am and Splash Mt at 9:30am figuring on starting at that half of the park in the morning and I reserve Space Mountain or Buzz Lightyear in the evening at 8:30pm before the start of Wishes. The rest of my day I am free to ride whatever I want whenever I want. If its only 4 reservations per day it's not like you are planning every ride of every day. I think once that misperception is cleared up people may actually be happy with the system. Well not everyone, but there's no way to please everyone all of the time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Planning a vacation to WDW will soon require the same planning as a full scale military operation. I just don't want to be bothered with so much confusion. Planning meals is one thing. This whole ride scheduling is, in my opinion, absolutely ridiculous.

I think people are exaggerating to make it seem worse.

Is it really planning so much to say 'I want to ride space mountain, splash, and jungle cruise today?' - its the type of decisions people are making anyways. The difference is simply Disney will be spitting out a schedule that if you follow - you will get additional benefits from by doing so.

If the system were not up to 60 days in advance.. but a kiosk in the park you used.. would you feel any different?

To me, the biggest part of 'planning' is knowing which park you will be in that day. That is a hurdle you must tackle for ADRs anyway.. (something I'm not a huge fan of).

Todd H

This sounds needlessly complicated, as if it was written by an MBA in corporate instead of someone that actually knows and cares about the parks. And to think they spent all that money on this instead of investing it in attractions.

It pains me to say this, being a lifelong Disney fan, but I can foresee a day when my family moves on and visits Disney World no more. Between this Nextgen nonsense and the glacial pace of building new attractions, the magic is quickly diminishing.

awoogala

This sounds needlessly complicated, as if it was written by an MBA in corporate instead of someone that actually knows and cares about the parks. And to think they spent all that money on this instead of investing it in attractions.

It pains me to say this, being a lifelong Disney fan, but I can foresee a day when my family moves on and visits Disney World no more. Between this Nextgen nonsense and the glacial pace of building new attractions, the magic is quickly diminishing.
Don't forget the rocketing price of "deluxe" resorts, which aren't quite as deluxe as their prices suggest...;)

Tip Top Club

The word I heard today is that right now the plan is NOT to make this a paid service. Obviously with a huge project like this things can always change, but as of today there are no plans to make this a paid service.

captainkidd

I think people are exaggerating to make it seem worse.

Is it really planning so much to say 'I want to ride space mountain, splash, and jungle cruise today?' - its the type of decisions people are making anyways. The difference is simply Disney will be spitting out a schedule that if you follow - you will get additional benefits from by doing so.

If the system were not up to 60 days in advance.. but a kiosk in the park you used.. would you feel any different?

To me, the biggest part of 'planning' is knowing which park you will be in that day. That is a hurdle you must tackle for ADRs anyway.. (something I'm not a huge fan of).

If it were all as simple as just arriving at the park and planning by reserving your FP times, then it would be realistic. I admit, I don't know everything about the system, but from what I've read what irks me is the longer in advance you book, the better chance you have of getting FP's. ADR's really are totally different. The max amount of those per day you're going to schedule is 3, and that's a lot.

But like I said, I honestly don't know enough about how it's going to work, and quite frankly, have been unable to find, in one sticky or one specific place on disneyworld.com, the exact specifics of how the system is going to work.

John

My initial thought was that FP+ would would discourage park hopping since FP+ can only be used at one park per day. Now I wonder if it will have the opposite effect. More sinisterly, I wonder if its net effect will be to lengthen wait times at the super headliner attractions for non-Deluxe Resort guests. See if the following makes sense.

Today's FP system encourages people to stay at one park because it's easier to get a "good" FP return time at my current park than it is to stop what I'm going at that park, take the time to travel from one park to another, only to try to get another FP at that second park. For the sake of discussion, let's assume the travel time, from park A to park B is one hour. This travel time means that I'm an hour behind people who went to park B for opening and did not park hop. It's almost certain that FP will be gone for park B's super headliners. With FP+, I can go to park A for opening, ride its super headerliner attractions before it gets too crowded, and then hop to park B and ride its super headerliners because I have guaranteed FP+ for those rides. As a result, I suspect WDW's less "glamorous" rides will be ignored even more. I'll use an example that, hopefully, will make this clear.

Let's assume I want to visit DAK and DHS. Today, with FP, I am less likely to do both parks in one day. I might, for example, start the day at DHS, grab a FP for TSM and then immediately ride, TOT & RnRC. By then, depending on timing, my FP window might be good for TSM. So on my walk to there, I grab a FP for a less popular attraction such as Mermaid before riding TSM. My FP window hasn't arrived for Mermaid, so maybe I do the Backlot Tour and then return to Mermaid to use my FP. Now I grab a FP for Star Tours and, to kill time, I use the regular lines for Indiana Jones and Great Movie Ride. I then use my FP for Star Tours and ride something else, maybe LMA, because there's no way I'm going to get a "good" FP for DAK. The short of this long example is that I've spent a good part of the day at DHS riding both its super headliner attractions and its less in-demand attractions.

Fast forward to FP+.

Now I have guaranteed afternoon FP+ for TSM, TOT, and Star Tours. (See RedSoxNo1's earlier #205 post.) Am I going to rush to get to DHS? No way. Instead, I head to DAK first thing in the morning, ride EE, KS, and Dinosaur before the lines get too long, knowing my "good" FP+ are guaranteed at DHS. I'm going to skip most of the less glamorous attractions at DAK because I need to be sure to get to DHS for my FP+ there. Once at DHS, I'll use my FP+ there and then spend the rest of the day at DHS on whatever is left.

What this means is:
  • With FP+, I ride more super headliner attractions in one day than I could have with FP. But if I ride more, someone else (i.e. anyone in a Standby line or without "good" FP+) rides less. Those people spend more time in the Standby queue even if they got to the park ahead of me because FP+ allowed me to get FP+ for that park's super headliners without putting any effort into it.
  • If I spend more time on super headliner attractions (and park hopping) it means I spend less time on WDW's less glamorous attractions. For anyone who isn't gaming the system like I am, they end up riding more attractions that are not at the top of their list because those are the only attractions without super-long Standby queues.
  • Today, everyone has an equal shot at FP. With FP+, people who "score" FP+ for the super headliner attractions have the advantage. With FP+, what will TDO want to do: let guests staying at Deluxe Resorts pick their FP+ first, let guests staying offsite pick their FP+ first, or allow both to have equal access? Seriously, is there any question what makes the most financial sense for TDO.
With FP+, I suspect WDW's current egalitarian system for distributing FP will die. Those staying at WDW Deluxe Resorts will have the advantage.

P.S. One possibility is for TDO to "hide" this advantage by allocating FP+ per resort level. In other words, allocate more FP+ for the super headerliner attractions to those staying at Deluxe Resorts than to those staying offsite. To the outsider, it would look like WDW is offering FP+ equally at the 60-day mark but people staying offsite quickly would see their allocation of FP+ for super headerliners run out. Unless we gossip about this on forums such as this, no one would notice. As an offsite guest, how am I to know that WDW is still handing out FP+ for super headliner attractions to Deluxe Resort guests even though, as an offsite guest, no more are available to me.

I might be overthinking this but, in the end, people who pay more will end up with the "better" WDW experience at the theme parks. That's mostly true today for WDW's non-attraction experiences. However, with FP+, I suspect it also will become true for attractions. Today, everyone has an equal shot at the attractions. With FP+, I think it will no longer be the case.

P.P.S. One suggested idea behind FP+ was to get people to slow down. Why rush to the parks when you have FP+ for the "good" attractions. However, if it plays out as I outlined above, it could have the opposite effect. Uber planners don't slow down just because they have some FP+ before they arrive. Instead, uber plan differently. Now, instead of (in the above example) staying longer at DHS and enjoying more attractions, they might end up jumping from park-to-park, rushing to do as many super headliners as possible. Instead of giving DHS and DAK one day each, they might try to cram them both into one day.

Don't forget FP+ is from the same group that gave us FP. FP was going to make money for WDW because it was supposed to give people more time to shop. Instead, it has made lines longer because guests grab a FP for one attraction (effectively making its Standby line longer by increasing that attraction's wait time) and then immediately jump into the Standby line of a second attraction, making that attraction's Standby line longer.

Seriously, FP+ will only make the Standby lines at the super headliner attractions even worse.

This is what I have been trying to say all along....that Disney will control how many FP's and what times...that is the problem I have. Even at the level of being a deluxe resort guest we have no idea how many FP's are available. Yes, it is that way now....in a way, but it is a first come first serve basis. The new way is that a computer will give out the Fp as it deems fit. I believe thier will be steerage towards whatever attraction Disney want s us to be at. When the super headliners are quickly filling the computer will automatically only offer Fp for a lesser ride....saving other FP for deluxe guest etc. who are "johnny come lately" I dont have a problem with the system other then the system should be distributed fairly on the "first come first serve" method....even at 180 days out. Deluxe gets more FP then Value.....I can deal with that. Thats the "perk" but If I book my trip 180 days out and schedule my FP's and then someone comes along a couple months out and is able to snag a FP that I was told was no longer available....I am going to be upset. Not to mention what about day guest? With almost anytype of system they will be SOL when it comes to getting a FP for a headliner. If locals are allowed to reserve FP+ 180 days out what is going to stop them from making AFP reservations and not useing them?Say someone with a local AP thinks they will want to go in august but wants to make sure they get to ride thier favorite ride. They make a reservation and something comes up....FP goes unused. There is no way to recover that FP time slot.

I dont have a problem with the FP+ system and the way it was concieved. I just have a problem with which it will be implemented. Some say it wont be a "pay for service"...ofcourse it will. The cost will be built into the resort charge. I dont have a problem with resort guest getting some much well deserved perks....the price they pay they should get something. What I dont like is that I believe thast DIsney will have the ability to have us ride what ride....and when they want us to ride. We think we will beable to schedule our visit as we want, but infact it will be Disney who will guide our touring plans.They will have the ability to put us where they want us and when they want us there.

John

Just thinking....we need a time slot for our flight.....we can only check-in after a certian time....we have to eat at a certian time......we will have to ride attractions at a certian time......we have to enjoy parades and shows at a certian time......we have to checkout a certian time and get picked up at a certian time....then get our flight home at a certian time.....sprinkle some pixe dust in there, and boy wasnt it a magical time!

At what point does it not become unpleasureable? When does it become no longer liesure? When is it the plans become to rigid? Just wondering, does anybody know of any other vacation that has every minutia planned so far in advance?

Buried20KLeague

Thanks, I agree with you. As it exists today, Magic Your Way (MYW) tickets have nothing to do with onsite vs. offsite guests. In my head (which I didn't explain in my post), I think of my "Key to the World" card as a different physical "ticket", which it is not. Instead, today's "Key to the World" card can be considered as containing my MYW ticket on it. I am speculating (just speculating) that there will be "bonus" FP+ for onsite guests, which currently are people who have a "Key to the World" card. However, by itself, a "Key to the World" card is not a ticket.

I suspect TDO has plans to recoup its $1.5B investment in NextGen. Since it's been posted several times that guests won't explicitly be charged for FP+, the only way I see NextGen not being a financial sinkhole is if FP+ is used to somehow increase onsite hotel occupancy or as a replacement for Extra Magic Hours (EMH) & "Free Dining".

All this is just speculation but I hope it makes sense.

We might be seeing exactly how Disney intends to sell infinitely more DVC here...

And how they may also use it to curb the resale market.

This is gonna be bad. It seems clear the intent of this system is to give TDO the ability to manipulate it how they see fit... A freedom that would be much more difficult with the current, archaic FP. I don't see how this is meant to be a benefit for us and not for them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If it were all as simple as just arriving at the park and planning by reserving your FP times, then it would be realistic. I admit, I don't know everything about the system, but from what I've read what irks me is the longer in advance you book, the better chance you have of getting FP's. ADR's really are totally different. The max amount of those per day you're going to schedule is 3, and that's a lot.

ADRs may be up to 3 - but often tend to be across many locations making it even more complicated (its hard to find three ADR meals inside one park generally). This is limited to one park and isn't three seperate bookings like ADRs.. but simply 'one touring plan per day' which will be limited to one park. It's not 3 or more bookings, but simply one booking.

But like I said, I honestly don't know enough about how it's going to work, and quite frankly, have been unable to find, in one sticky or one specific place on disneyworld.com, the exact specifics of how the system is going to work.

The problem is people are intermingling what 'COULD' be done vs what Disney has exposed so far as what they ARE doing. The system has lots of potential of what can be done.. so people are taking it to extremes.

What we do know:
  • Once you go black.. you don't go back. The ToS says once you convert to RFID paperless, your old ticket media won't be able to use the legacy FP system.
  • The system encompasses rides, shows, fireworks shows, M&Gs, and dining experiences
  • Dining experiences will also offer pre-ordering meals (This doesn't necessarily mean you MUST pre-order.. but that isn't specified, but another area people are quick to jump to)
  • The system appears open to all MYW ticket holders (and probably more.. but some may be excluded. An example might be Comp tickets)
  • The system is offering 'up to' 60 days advance bookings
  • The system allows you to modify your bookings
  • The system is usable for one park per day
  • You can only use FP+ once per day per attraction (no repeat FP+ on same attraction)
  • Return times will not allow late or early entry (presumably Disney's policies on grace windows will still apply)
  • "When you initially make FastPass+ selections for a particular park, you will select a FastPass+ experience set and if your plans change, you may modify the entire FastPass+ experience set until the first FastPass+ experience is redeemed or the first unredeemed experience expires. You may modify an unredeemed individual FastPass+ experience any time prior to the end the day"
  • If you miss a reservation, you will be able to book a new FP+ reservation using that credit up until the end of the day. 'Credits' expire at the end of the day
  • The system has both touch based, and general proximity pickups
  • You may link a credit card to your device.. and transactions *may* require a PIN (Presumably over a certain $$ amount)
  • You may make reservations for yourself, any managed accounts, and any connected accounts (allows groups to book together)

Areas that we have examples, but doesn't necessarily mean this is the ONLY way it will be
  • today people get to pick X amount of rides from a group, and Y out of a second group, etc. This is how Disney will keep everyone from using all their FP+ for just a handful of things. You also can not use multiple FP+ for the same ride in the same day. Example: Pick 3 things from Group A, and 2 things from Group B.
  • How many picks you get for each day does not appear 'fixed'. This may be something Disney can alter based on capacity, time of year, etc. This is another area people speculate Disney will tier or sell. Say in Value, get 3 picks, stay in a deluxe, get 6, etc.
  • Disney is not expecting guests to micro-manage their time. When a guest picks their selections, the site spits out an itinerary for them to plan their day with all their selections included. You basically get a 'recommended touring guide'. It's not clear exactly what type of micro-level control you will get over reservation times, but since you can edit reservations day of, I would assume you can pick from available timeslots when editing individuals.

Areas people have talked about - but don't jive with Disney's own info
  • only deluxe resort people will get it, or only onsite people - Disney's info points to ALL MYW ticket holders getting to use it
  • This will increase FP usage and hurt standby even worse - This system is MORE limited then FP in how many you can get, doesn't allow late/early returns, and REPLACES (not in addition) to FP. This means the impact of FP+ should actually be far more predictable for Disney to control than FP.
  • I have to micro-manage every aspect of my trip - You don't need to. Disney will simply provide you a personalized tour schedule based on what YOU select.
In many ways the system is far more restricted in how you use it compared to traditional FP. Gone will be the days of people stock piling FPs.. or using FP on all marque attractions. The system is setup to distribute load (much like the original FP was designed to) across other attractions. The benefit is the expansion of FP+ into other 'disciplines' that it was not available before. Additionally complaints from people about not knowing when FP is available, having to cross the park to get one, etc.. are all history.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is gonna be bad. It seems clear the intent of this system is to give TDO the ability to manipulate it how they see fit... A freedom that would be much more difficult with the current, archaic FP. I don't see how this is meant to be a benefit for us and not for them.

Disney already had these powers. Disney already controlled how many FPs were available. Disney already had the power to give people they wanted powers above and beyond the average guest using a FP machine.

Disney has better controls now - but this is not a new poison.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom