Hollywood Studios expansion news!

doctornick

Cue up Tron rumors again... if the motorbikes are apparently off the table of the Avatar expansion in DAK, maybe they can be back on the table for MK. Would be a wonderful addition before MK's 50th.

elchippo

I also wish they would re-start the handprint/footprint ceremonies again....another cool idea would be stars like the Hollywood walk of Fame....starting near the hat (which, in this world, is gone) and maybe goes down past ABC commissary, Idol theatre, etc. All the Disney Legends would be included, and others could get added as time went on...

Of course, none of this drives revenue.

javy2004

if anything is to be taken from DCA land wise (if not cars land), it'd have to be buena vista street being placed right at the gate. for DCA to be a 2 minute walk from regular hotels and ruby tuesdays etc., it really takes you to a whole other place right as you cross the turnstyle. the effect would be greater i feel inside of WDW since you're literally in this world! also, while there's no attractions, also bringing the Carthay Circle restaurant would bring some legit high end dining to DHS (i haven't been yet, but rarely do i see anyone write anything positive about dining options over there)

I'm also curious if there was ever any word that an attraction based on 'the incredibles' was ever to be made? that seems too perfect for a hardly talked about, but action packed and great film. merch-wise i think it could do well (I picture a family all rocking the red and black '!' tees, a la thing 1, thing 2 etc at IoA). Wonder if anyone can clarify this for me.

on a sidenote:
a ride from DCA that is deceptive is Mickey's Fun Wheel. This ride as far as i know has no height restrictions and it terrifies me. those 'baskets/seats' riding on rails are fun, but ohhh sooo unsettling (aside from the person you ride with, there's not much of anything to hold on to and i think thats what gets me). maybe it could be something brought to the boardwalk or DTD bc i don't see how it could fit physically and/or themewise in the parks. that's is the coolest/scariest ferris wheel i've ever experienced!! No one ever seems to mention it.

the.dreamfinder

i hope i'm not alone in this, but i'm hoping wreck-it-ralph is a smashing success and it'll create enough reason to put in a new attraction, hopefully doing something we haven't seen before, and i could see it fitting at DHS.
I just got back from an advance screening of wreck-it Ralph and I must tell you that it was AMAZING!! While I cannot be specific because well, Disney doesn't really want stuff leaking (They even confiscated our phone :eek:), it's a film with a ton of great characters, cameos, and settings that has a heart that few animated films have nowadays. If the reaction from the audience was any indication ( which was a mix of families, adults, and college kids), this film will do VERY, VERY well; heck I'm probably going to see next weekend back to back with Flight.
I'm not really sure how well the worlds of the film will translate into a theme park attraction because this film deserves more than just a concrete box. The land of Sugar Rush is definitely a place that would love to be transported to.

If I continue, I might spoil too much. Paperman was really great too. I paid to go to this screen as did the entire audience, including the press.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I just got back from an advance screening of wreck-it Ralph and I must tell you that it was AMAZING!! While I cannot be specific because well, Disney doesn't really want stuff leaking (They even confiscated our phone :eek:), it's a film with a ton of great characters, cameos, and settings that has a heart that few animated films have nowadays. If the reaction from the audience was any indication ( which was a mix of families, adults, and college kids), this film will do VERY, VERY well; heck I'm probably going to see next weekend back to back with Flight.
I'm not really sure how well the worlds of the film will translate into a theme park attraction because this film deserves more than just a concrete box. The land of Sugar Rush is definitely a place that would love to be transported to.

If I continue, I might spoil too much. Paperman was really great too. I paid to go to this screen as did the entire audience, including the press.

I would love to see Wreck it Ralph somewhere in the parks... maybe a new pavilion at Epcot about the history of video games?

GiveMeTheMusic

I'm also curious if there was ever any word that an attraction based on 'the incredibles' was ever to be made? that seems too perfect for a hardly talked about, but action packed and great film. merch-wise i think it could do well (I picture a family all rocking the red and black '!' tees, a la thing 1, thing 2 etc at IoA). Wonder if anyone can clarify this for me.

I can! Before DCA 2.0 was a thing, Matt Ouimet was considering various fixes for DCA, including an E-Ticket Incredibles ride using the Kuka arm ride system employed by Forbidden Journey at IOA. It would have been on the Cars Land plot with a Pacific Wharf entrance, but not its own land. It was shelved in favor of Cars Land, et al.

doctornick

One thing that gets critized is how an expanded Pixar Place really fits in with the theme/mission statement of DHS. Assuming that Cars Land and the Monsters Inc door coaster are added, plus maybe other things in the future, I was thinking that it might be neat to have a backstory or advertising campaign for Pixar Place similar to the "This is Sportscenter" concept for ESPN (ironically, also owned by Disney). The idea being that Pixar Place is a fictionalized version of the Pixar campus (which I believe the decor of the buildings is supposed to reflect the Emeryville studios) where the animated characters work and "film" their movies, so you have Brad Bird or Lee Unkrich walking around but so are Mike and Sully and Woody and Frozone. And they could do a very funny advertising routine like the Sportscenter stuff with having the characters doing mundane office work.

I dunno, it's just a thought, something that would be amusing and at least provide a rationale for the attractions.

Pixiedustmaker

on a sidenote:
a ride from DCA that is deceptive is Mickey's Fun Wheel. This ride as far as i know has no height restrictions and it terrifies me.

Height restrictions aren't necessarily to keep guests from being scared, it is due to safety issues of having smaller people on certain rides. Notice I didn't say kids. I believe that genetically/developmentally unusually short individuals are unable to ride many Disney rides no matter what their age is.

As scary as the Fun Wheel is (I also have a fear of heights), it would be very hard to get hurt, (though I've only ridden the non-swinging version, the swinging version looks very smooth, no sudden accelerations of sufficient force to injure somebody.)

doctornick

Height restrictions aren't necessarily to keep guests from being scared, it is due to safety issues of having smaller people on certain rides. Notice I didn't say kids. I believe that genetically/developmentally unusually short individuals are unable to ride many Disney rides no matter what their age is.

As scary as the Fun Wheel is (I also have a fear of heights), it would be very hard to get hurt, (though I've only ridden the non-swinging version, the swinging version looks very smooth, no sudden accelerations of sufficient force to injure somebody.)

Stitch's Great Escape has a height restriction, which appears to be solely for the purpose of preventing young kids from being scared. Though perhaps there might be an issue with the restraint with someone shorter (you don't actually move on the ride).

Magenta Panther

I was thinking something along the lines of putting Sugar Rush in a Fantasyland. Most of the film takes place in this world and it's absolutely amazing.

I haven't seen Wreck-It-Ralph yet, but I've seen some of the Sugar Rush scenes, plus the conceptual art. And I agree with you - a Sugar Rush attraction would be amazing for Fantasyland. But what kind of attraction? Were you thinking along the lines of TSMM? I'd like a dark ride myself...

Pixiedustmaker

Stitch's Great Escape has a height restriction, which appears to be solely for the purpose of preventing young kids from being scared. Though perhaps there might be an issue with the restraint with someone shorter (you don't actually move on the ride).

Uh-Yeah . . . I'm guessing that the height restriction on Stitch's is very much for safety as Alien Encounter had a height restriction and the restraint moves.

Kids just above that height were regularly taken on Alien Encounter (before it became Stitch) and would cry in terror for minutes. It would be bad not having the restraint come fully down on a child as they could just slip out of the seat, especially if scared. I doubt the CM would quickly notice a loose child with everybody screaming, the child could then get hurt falling down the stairs. And the worst part is that Mom can't do anything because she's restrained in her chair, being the proper height.

Yeah, height restrictions really are to keep guests safe!

Or worse, they get their head under the *moving* restraint, they get stuck and it comes down and they fracture a vertebrae and become paralyzed. Being around moving parts on rides is . . . dangerous. You darn well better believe the height restriction is important on this ride.

Not sure if you are a medical doctor, or even a safety expert, but when looking at these issues, public health issues in a way, you have to consider what could go wrong, not just assume a ride is safe because you prematurely conclude it "doesn't go anywhere."

Haunted Mansion, a scary ride, does not have a height restriction as far as I know, and could obviously scare kids.

Stitch's has a height requirement of 40 inches. Of course, kids at the top of the growth chart could have problems, that is why there is a lot of warnings for Stitch. Ya gotta read the fine print;)

Guest Policies
  • Due to the nature of the experience, Guests with service animals should check with a host or hostess for attraction and boarding information at this attraction.
  • This attraction may be frightening for children.
  • Guests must transfer from their motorized scooter or ECV to an available wheelchair to experience the attraction.
  • Handheld Captioning is available at this attraction. Please visit Guest Relations to obtain a device.
  • Guests with young children may take turns experiencing attractions. See a Cast Member for additional information.
  • Video Captioning is available on selected monitors in this attraction. Please visit Guest Relations to obtain an activator.
  • Supervise children at all times. Children under age 7 years must be accompanied by a person age 14 years or older.
  • Assistive Listening Receivers, which amplify the audio, may be used at this location. Please visit Guest Relations to obtain a receiver.

the.dreamfinder

I haven't seen Wreck-It-Ralph yet, but I've seen some of the Sugar Rush scenes, plus the conceptual art. And I agree with you - a Sugar Rush attraction would be amazing for Fantasyland. But what kind of attraction? Were you thinking along the lines of TSMM? I'd like a dark ride myself...
I'm really not 100% sure. I really don't want a dark ride that's just a retread of the film's plot. However, a ride where you race through the world of Sugar Rush would probably be best. However, I really wouldn't want it to be a replacement for the speedways because the world has so much detail to absorb and a passive experience would probably be best. So I'm also not really hot on a TSMM like ride either for the same reason. For those who don't know, Sugar Rush is a racing game.

May I also add that this would be a fantastic use of the FL theater plot in DL.

Turtle

I'm really not 100% sure. I really don't want a dark ride that's just a retread of the film's plot. However, a ride where you race through the world of Sugar Rush would probably be best. However, I really wouldn't want it to be a replacement for the speedways because the world has so much detail to absorb and a passive experience would probably be best. So I'm also not really hot on a TSMM like ride either for the same reason. For those who don't know, Sugar Rush is a racing game.

May I also add that this would be a fantastic use of the FL theater plot in DL.
Maybe if Wreck-It-Ralph is a hit franchise we can see a land at DHS with Sugar Rush Racing, Hero's Duty Shooter Ride, and Fix It Felix Dark-Ride?

Magenta Panther

Maybe if Wreck-It-Ralph is a hit franchise we can see a land at DHS with Sugar Rush Racing, Hero's Duty Shooter Ride, and Fix It Felix Dark-Ride?

Maybe all three in the same ride? I get the idea, from seeing Wreck-It-Ralph's trailers, that Ralph himself dashes from one video game to the other. Maybe that would be a good story structure for a simulator ride that would allow guests to experience Ralph's adventure. :)

ellie-badge

If anything Wreck-It Ralph related were to go into the parks, I'd love to see the original Rock Candy Mountain concept from Disneyland's early days be revived and re-themed to the world of Sugar Rush. That would certainly be something to cry home about.

J03Y

I also wish they would re-start the handprint/footprint ceremonies again....another cool idea would be stars like the Hollywood walk of Fame....starting near the hat (which, in this world, is gone) and maybe goes down past ABC commissary, Idol theatre, etc. All the Disney Legends would be included, and others could get added as time went on...

Of course, none of this drives revenue.

it's still a cool idea! i can see it now, Hollywood Stars all over the park with names of not just Disney characters like Mickey, Minnie, Cinderella and Aladdin, but also names of voice and live actors who played these characters. imagine seeing Robin Williams and Demi Moore on a Disney Hollywood Star! it'd be so cool!

elchippo

it's still a cool idea! i can see it now, Hollywood Stars all over the park with names of not just Disney characters like Mickey, Minnie, Cinderella and Aladdin, but also names of voice and live actors who played these characters. imagine seeing Robin Williams and Demi Moore on a Disney Hollywood Star! it'd be so cool!

Right?! The walk of fame wouldnt focus so much (if at all) on characters, but people like Kurt Russell, Dick Van , Julie Andrews, even going older/more obscure than that like Moochie, Bobby Driscoll, etc. Heck, even newer stars like Johnny Depp, Zac Efron would work. Getting a "disney star" would be an honor just like it is in Hollywood.

javy2004

Maybe all three in the same ride? I get the idea, from seeing Wreck-It-Ralph's trailers, that Ralph himself dashes from one video game to the other. Maybe that would be a good story structure for a simulator ride that would allow guests to experience Ralph's adventure. :)

maybe do something like star tours 2.0 that changes up the sequence or what world you experience to make it a re-rideable experience (although putting it in EPCOT over DHS would probably be better off). and if ever there was to be a ride with a really interactive queue, this'd be it. the post show area could be a history of video games, arcade (with fix it felix of course) and gift shop. i just want this movie to do really well. its been a while since a animated disney (non-pixar) movie was super successful.

javy2004

being older i think is what makes me more freaked out by it than if i were a little kid riding it oddly enough. i think about how i'm not strapped in and the way the swinging version swings when it slides on longer part of the rails, i feel very much like i should be. the first time i rode i was one my army buddy and across from us was probably an early 30s male and his 4-5 year old daughter. while it won't always be this way, the only one that was not worried and in fact loving the heck out of the ride was the little girl. her dad looked and sounded nervous and my friend and i were very nervous (still enjoyed nonetheless) riding as well. aside from a teacups style ride (which i can't help but spin as fast as i can even though i know i'll get sick pretty easily), no other ride at this point in my life makes me more nervous than riding the swinging fun wheel. a ride like the wind seeker at knott's berry farm comes close though. i'm afraid of heights i'm thinking if i'm not strapped into my seat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom