Country Bear Jamboree closing for lengthy refurbishment in August

Bolna

Tourists from Europe don't go home and complain about CBJ being different, they probably wouldn't even complain about, for example, Expedition Everest being down (though that is more likely happening if they did some research).

Yes - and unless they are from the UK (i.e. native English speakers) they most likely won't be able to understand the show anyway. I am quite fluent in English I think (German is my native language) and I have huge problems following that show. I think adding a seasonal overlay would actually make it easier to understand for people with language issues as that would be a theme they can relate to.

Clever Name

Perhaps a new bear featuring the voice of Gilbert Gottfried will descend from the ceiling shouting, "Stop the show! You bears have gotta get a new act!". Yeah. That oughta do it!

As you know, it’s been done, and IMO, it was better than the old Tiki Room. The problem was it did not go far enough. Hip-Hop Tiki Birds would be a natural but they would require major upgrades in the movements of the birds. You would be able to see the legs of the birds and they would dance and sing, “I like the way you move”, “I like the way you groove”.

Hip-Hop is perfect for birds because of the distinctive way that birds hop as their natural movement on the ground. Of course there are many musical greats Birdman, Fly King i, Tweedy Bird and LL Cool J to name just a few whose names fit with a bird theme. Of course there is also Flava Flav’s fried chicken as well as Karmin (the chicken rapper).

WDW is moving right along with getting rid of the so called “classics” such as Mr. Toad, Snow White and the terrible 20,000 Leagues. DL is still full of those old attractions and it’s fitting that they stay there as a time capsule and museum to commemorate and memorialize Walt’s dream. WDW needs to move into the future and leave the “classics” in DL for history buffs to faun over.

AFLAC! I agree his tsunami jokes were not funny. Disney always has that problem with the wide range of entertainers they have onboard at any given time. Paul Reubens, Michael Jackson and Britney Spears still evoke hatred in some quarters but you just have to accept that some people fall victim to bigotry.

Patricia Melton

Country Bear Jamboree is an attraction I go to about once every four years or so.

I love that it's there, and I like walking past it, but it's kind of like the Enchanted Tiki Room for me...one of those things that I don't visit every time I am in the parks.

I have to be in the right mood for it, and also be in the mood to sit and watch a show. I have noticed that whenever we do go see CBJ we also have lunch in that area of the park. I think subconsciously when we do this I must feel the need to spend a lot of time soaking up the atmosphere in Frontierland that day.

It's kind of interesting when you go to WDW annually to think back on how different each trip was, even though we went to the same place and most of the attractions are the same from year to year. People often ask me "why do you keep going back to WDW for vacation and why not go somewhere else?" and I think honestly that every time we go to WDW it's not really the same thing.

It's kind of like going to a movie theater every weekend. You won't see the same movie twice, most likely. You can if you want to, for a while, but typically even though you are going to the same building and walking through the same doors it's a different experience every time with different memories.

Some of my trips have had memorable Frontierland elements...some have more memories in Adventureland...and I bet the next time we go will have much more Fantasyland memories since we're going in June of 2013 and most of the FLE will be finished.

Patricia Melton

Hip-Hop is perfect for birds because of the distinctive way that birds hop as their natural movement on the ground. Of course there are many musical greats Birdman, Fly King i, Tweedy Bird and LL Cool J to name just a few whose names fit with a bird theme. Of course there is also Flava Flav’s fried chicken as well as Karmin (the chicken rapper).

Isn't Hip Hop over yet?

I'm being serious, and not trying to start a flame war or anything...but how relevant is "Hip Hop" anymore?

I can't remember what this was for, but I'm on the school board for my district and we were looking at some kind of proposal to bring in some kind of musical/theater group to teach kids about health issues. It looked like a lot of fun and it's something that's still being considered...it has puppets and things and they sing songs and learn about nutrition and saying no to drugs and how to fight obesity and exercise.

Well, in the teacher's guide they gave us to look at one of the activities made all of us laugh out loud: it was an activity plan where they students would have to "write a rap song" about nutrition and it showed the teacher how to teach the kids how "to write a rap song". I wish I still had this so I could scan it and show you all, but it had these very cartoonish, child-like drawings next to the activity box and the figures were "rapping" with a big boom box like it was 1985 and they were big RMDC fans. Hilarious.

It's my personal opinion that something is no longer "hip" if it's being featured in a children's activity book...or if a very slow-moving and zealously cautious organization like Disney embraces it. Seeing "rap" or "hip hop" in anything related to children tells me that the "coolness" expiration date on these musical genres has expired.

I do not follow the music industry very much but if I'm correct "rap" and "hip hop" are supposed to be "edgy", and nothing is the opposite of "edgy" more than Disney.

And this is a lifetime Disney fan saying that, who loves Disney for what it is...but the home of "edginess" it most certainly is not.

wdwfan4ver

Isn't Hip Hop over yet?

I'm being serious, and not trying to start a flame war or anything...but how relevant is "Hip Hop" anymore?
What I gather Hip Hop is slowing dying for several years based on what Save Pleasure Island blog mentioned on their blog. What they are claiming that most successful Hip Hop artists are now putting out songs with the much-faster beats-per-minute that define Electronic Dance Music. To them that type of music is evolving and means Hip hop is going away.

I really don't following for the music industry or that type of music, but I have to take their word. That site also says the fashion of hip hop is dying also.

TropicalFig8

Now it's time for a good idea bad idea

Good idea: Refurbish Country Bears. Fix AAs,new paint,etc.
Bad idea: Shorting the show (How would this work anyway? Most of the songs are short.) Hip Hop Bears.

Patricia Melton

Hip-Hop is the international music of the 21st century.

This business of saying "international" or "global" this or that is really tiresome to me.

I think in the year 2012 deciding what is the "music of the 21st Century" is also kind of ridiculous. Imagine someone in the year 1912 making such a declaration about the 20th Century. It's never a good idea to speak in such broad terms, especially when the future's concerned.

Who knows what the next music trend will be. Polka sure had a huge wave of fame in the past. Perhaps it will make a comeback next year. Or maybe Canada will become the inspiration for music, fashion, and cuisine in the next decade.

I laugh out loud when I see people under-30 declare that this or that thing in vogue now will be the dominant force in culture for all time in the future. Clearly, the public schools aren't teaching much history these days or showing kids that fads of the moment don't often last for as long as their proponents would have us believe.

wdwfan4ver

Hip-Hop is the international music of the 21st century.
You have to be a teen.You probably never heard of ice ice baby, or you can't touch this when those two rap songs first came since you where not born yet.

My post about what Save Pleasure Island Blog said about hip hop dying is true. Types of music goes through cycles and the fact is Hip Hop is evolving if you compare it from when I growing up back in the 1980's and the 1990's.

You only can tell what music is popular from a decade standpoint. The 1920's are a prime example of that with it being known as the Jazz era.

olinecoach61

Series of texts when I read this news...

Me: Sad news for me
Wife: What?!
Me: Country Bear Jamboree will be closed for refurbishment from August 22- October 18th :(
Wife: What are they doing to it? Making it not suck?

She's evil! We're going 9/29-10/6 :(
Ha ha ha!

Clever Name

You have to be a teen.You probably never heard of ice ice baby, or you can't touch this when those two rap songs first came since you where not born yet.

My post about what Save Pleasure Island Blog said about hip hop dying is true. Types of music goes through cycles and the fact is Hip Hop is evolving if you compare it from when I growing up back in the 1980's and the 1990's.

You only can tell what music is popular from a decade standpoint. The 1920's are a prime example of that with it being known as the Jazz era.
Hip-Hop is the classical music of our day.

Beholder

Isn't Hip Hop over yet?

I can't remember what this was for, but I'm on the school board for my
district and we were looking at some kind of proposal to bring in some kind
of musical/theater group to teach kids about health issues. It looked like a
lot of fun and it's something that's still being considered...it has puppets
and things and they sing songs and learn about nutrition and saying no to
drugs and how to fight obesity and exercise.

Well, in the teacher's guide they gave us to look at one of the activities
made all of us laugh out loud: it was an activity plan where they students
would have to "write a rap song" about nutrition and it showed the teacher
how to teach the kids how "to write a rap song". I wish I still had this so I
could scan it and show you all, but it had these very cartoonish, child-like
drawings next to the activity box and the figures were "rapping" with a big
boom box like it was 1985 and they were big RMDC fans. Hilarious.

It's my personal opinion that something is no longer "hip" if it's being
featured in a children's activity book...or if a very slow-moving and
zealously cautious organization like Disney embraces it. Seeing "rap" or "hip
hop" in anything related to children tells me that the "coolness" expiration
date on these musical genres has expired.

I do not follow the music industry very much but if I'm correct "rap" and
"hip hop" are supposed to be "edgy", and nothing is the opposite of "edgy"
more than Disney.

And this is a lifetime Disney fan saying that, who loves Disney for what it
is...but the home of "edginess" it most certainly is not.

This is so true. The minute a business, especially family entertainment, uses a genre of music to sell a product, put a fork in it. When Spongebob Squarepants makes a parody of rap in his cartoon, it goes from gangsta to goofy. And not the Disney goofy.

Period music, like period films, have an inherent timelessness. Update CBJ's soundsystem, freshen/update the AA's, but leave it alone. At least that's my take on it.

Flip83

Hip Hop and Break Dancing Bears.. In the Old West. OF COURSE! Brilliant! If they went to hip hop bears, that show would be boarded up in 6 months. Don't change the show!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom