Alien Encounter

Jakester

Original Poster
I was just reading some stuff about the Alien Encounter and i was thinking to myself "This seemed like a really fun experience"
I almost wish they'd bring this back, anyone agree or disagree ??

misterID

If they were so wrapped up and obsessed with getting teenagers into EPCOT maybe they should ressurect it there. What they've done so far definitely hasn't done the trick.

I still think it would work great in DHS as a real ALIEN attraction.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I was just reading some stuff about the Alien Encounter and i was thinking to myself "This seemed like a really fun experience"
I almost wish they'd bring this back, anyone agree or disagree ??

I think everyone here will either agree or disagree ! :lol:

Personally, I loved the attraction. I would love to see it's return, however TDO has a bad habit of refusing to admit to past mistakes and would never allow it to return anywhere, as that would be an admission of making the mistake of closing it to begin with.

WDWLocal

I was young the first time I rode Alien, I was scared, but from what I remember it was a great experience. Stitch is just junk not fun at all I just skip mover it. I say either bring alien back or get a new ride in there.

Silver Figment

I've talked about this many times with my fellow Disney maniac cousin. Stitch is so terrible and Alien Encounter was great, it actually had the ability to scare people. I went on Stitch once and as everybody was leaving this little girl who must have been about 4 said "was that it?" to her parents. The new attraction can't even satisfy or scare a 4 year old girl. I do Stitch when i go down if i have extra time because i figure, with no wait it's a great way to get out of the heat for about 20 minutes. :cool:

MansionGoer13z

Extra Terrorestrial was the best thing Disney had at the time Especially since It had a Great storyline and made you feel you were part of the action. Now that Stich is there and having been on it twice., Anytime Stich is mentioned on the boards here my stomach turns. I can still smell that horrible chili dog smell when this ride comes to mind. In the matter of being a Public Health hazard Disney should shut down Stich and replace it. With what I don't know....But anything is better than the Stich experience.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
AE had some of the best effects of any WDW attraction. Once we'd seen it a few times, it was even more fun to bring an AE newbie and see (and hear) their reactions. It was an especially fun attraction to visit during cheerleading week....so many teenage girls screaming there bloody heads off! My wife and I would get in line if we saw a troup of cheerleaders waiting....it was hilarious. We miss both AE and TimeKeeper. TK was probably the most under rated attraction at the MK. TimeKeepers (Robin Williams) script was amazing and 9 Eye was a hoot (Rhea Pearlman). Tomorrowland of the late 90's was incredible!

jonnykeogh

Such a shame they got rid of this. Even today this would have been in my top 3 rides in the World. Behind Tower of Terror and Harry Potter. But this was unique. Really did scare the nuts off everyone in the room. Effects were amazing and I loved the part where it looked like maintenance guys were lighting their torches in to us then one gets mauled! Everything seemed very realistic. Last time I went on it was in 2003 about a month before they closed it. Gutted!

chrisps

I remember this show it was a really good show better than the show that is there now. The show was a little bit scary for me when I was younger but now that I know that it is just a show and nothing is real or going to hurt you I think that they should bring this show back to the magic kingdom sometime soon again for people who like scary things it would get more adults back to the Magic kingdom again if this show would comeback sometime soon. the show that is there now is not that great of a show and it is not a scary show or a bad show I just really miss the Alien Encounter been at the magic kingdom and I hope that it comes back sometime soon again for me to enjoy as an adult sometime soon.

dxwwf3

AE will never come back, but we're past due for a SGE replacement. Oh yeah, they don't care about attendance or guest enjoyment. SGE's main purpose is being a vehicle to sell plush anyways.

Ariel484

The only time I ever went on AE I was 11 and it absolutely TERRIFIED me! :eek: So I don't exactly have fond memories of that one. But sure, bring it back...I will just make sure to stay far away from it (just like I stay far away from Stich now!). ;)

dxwwf3

The problem I had with Alien Encounter is the parents who brought their young children on the attraction, not realizing how absolutely terrifying it was. Yes, they should have paid closer attention to the posted signs but come on, it's the Magic Kingdom! A parent shouldn't have to worry about protecting their child from being terrified at the Magic Kingdom.

I can’t think of a single time exiting AE when a child wasn’t crying and shaking in fear. Not exactly what I expect from the “Magic Kingdom”. I liked AE and dislike SGE but it’s not about what I personally like or dislike. I’m glad AE was replaced with the more kid-friendly SGE. Again, I preferred AE but think Disney did the “right” thing by removing it from the Magic Kingdom. Would I like to see SGE replaced? Yes, but not with AE, not in the Magic Kingdom.

Disagree with a lot of this. The Magic Kingdom is the original park, it's a family park, it's NOT supposed to be a kiddie park. Read the sIgns, do your homework, and know what you are getting into when you're at the parks. If you don't do those things, shut up and stop complaining and ruining the parks for the rest of us.

I'm sorry, but I despise the thought of the MK being a kiddie park.

WDWmazprty

Disagree with a lot of this. The Magic Kingdom is the original park, it's a family park, it's NOT supposed to be a kiddie park. Read the sIgns, do your homework, and know what you are getting into when you're at the parks. If you don't do those things, shut up and stop complaining and ruining the parks for the rest of us.

Agreed. Thats with ANY ride. They're not all going to be for little kids. AE was one of the great 'thrill' rides at the time; shame it was taken out.

ExtinctJenn

I loved loved loved AE. Even as an adult it very often made me want to jump (though the shoulder restraints prevented it) and I loved it! It has one of the longest pages on my site too (yes shameless plug sorry :p ). It was so different than anything else you could find on property at the time. It kind of was it's own experience type... can't really call it a "thrill ride" since you didn't go anywhere. LOL!

I do think it was a mistake to remove it BUT I also see the logic behind it. Disney was getting lots of complaints from parents who (obviously) didn't take the warnings seriously and then had to run out with a screaming child. As was discussed in another thread, sometimes we don't think Disney listens to it's guests but they did in this case. And, as I also said in another thread, when you make a change to please 50% of your guests, that means you ultimately create a new group of 50% who weren't unhappy but now are. There's no way to please everyone and in this case, I think Disney had to make a tough call. Certainly with the amount of money they put into the attraction they didn't want to shut it down after such a short run.

chrisps

I miss Alien Encounter but the Stitch version is a little bit better not as scary but the show is not that great of a show so I don't go into that show when I am at the Disney world resort the last time I saw the Stitch show at the magic kingdom was in 2006 with my family and I did not think that it was as good as what the alien encounter was the alien encounter was a fun and and it had a good thrill to it and made the magic kingdom more fun for adults and teens and not the little kids. I remember when little kids were going into the alien encounter with there family I was 13 at the time I first when into the alien encounter with my family it was a little scary for me but if it was still there I would go into that show more than one time. I think that the alien encounter was a show for adults and teens it was a little scary but I would go into that show if it would comeback sometime soon again if that ever happens. I think that Disney needs to take Stitch out of the magic kingdom and put a show for adults and teens to go will the kids go on the family rides in the park I always have Martins tribute video to the alien encounter to watch on my Ipad but it is not the something as seen the show live.

ParentsOf4

Respectfully, you and I have different definitions of family. To me, a "family park" is something that parents and their children can do together. Walt Disney created DL with the express intention that parents and children could share an experience together. According to the histories that I've read, he wanted to create experiences that could be enjoyed by both parents and children. I hardly think a ride that makes children cry is something that would be considered a "family" attraction. Nor do I think a ride where I tell "little Johnny" to wait with Mommy while I go on the ride counts as a "familiy" attraction.

Again, I personally prefer AE over SGE it's just that IMHO SGE is more family friendly.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, I personally prefer AE over SGE it's just that IMHO SGE is more family friendly.

So what are the age boundaries for 'family'? If your kids are teenagers, they would probably love AE. Are they no longer family since they are older than a toddler or tween? Or Space Mountain just as bad because my grand father won't ride it? Or because my kids couldn't ride it until they were older?

The 'together' thing is soo abused in the Disney community. If they held to that literally, most of the most popular attractions in the parks would be consider 'non-family' because not everyone and anyone could ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom