Casey Jr. Being "Reassessed"

devoy1701

ok....I looked at the pictures on the blog....and that fence is dumb...looks dumb, is dumb, and isn't doing it's job...so ultimately, dumb.

Cmdr_Crimson

Looking Closely of the concept art on the big map it shows that Guests were never meant to enter into the side doors of Casey jr..
casey-jr-splash-n-soak-thumb.jpg

NewfieFan

ok....I looked at the pictures on the blog....and that fence is dumb...looks dumb, is dumb, and isn't doing it's job...so ultimately, dumb.

So what you're saying is... you think it's dumb!?!
Seriously, I think the fence was to control the number of children playing on it at any one time. I think a CM was to be stationed there letting children in through the front gate. Not saying it was the greatest idea - just explaining!

devoy1701

So what you're saying is... you think it's dumb!?!
Seriously, I think the fence was to control the number of children playing on it at any one time. I think a CM was to be stationed there letting children in through the front gate. Not saying it was the greatest idea - just explaining!

I was wondering that too. Why is there a gate at the front? Has it ever been open during normal operating hours? I honestly can't think of what they were thinking of with the design of the engine. I mean it SCREEEEAMS "Kids come play on me!" Which I don't think is a bad thing...but combine it with the fence and it's just poor execution!

sweetpee_1993

Chicken wire to keep the little critters out. And oblivious full-grown heathens.

What strikes me is the comments of the managers worried more about being sued for ADA/accessibility issues than the obvious safety issues here. That's nuts.

Amused to Death

Original Poster
Do adults think the fence is meant to be breached?

Thats just bad parenting. I guess they cant figure out why the fence is there!

I hate being judgemental against other parents but this is just bad parenting. Anyone with half a brain can tell the fence is there to keep children out. And to go as far as help your child through the fence!?! :eek:

These pictures upset me because it's sad when people can't follow one simple rule. The fence is there for a reason.

I take it none of you saw the thousands of people — children and adults alike — who used to frolic in what was once a pair of beautiful fountains out in front of Countdown to Extinction. At first there were CMs on hand to get everyone out of the water, but they eventually succumbed to the sheer numbers of idiots who thought it was perfectly okay to wade in the fountains, and they ended up putting up those god awful cement planters to keep everyone out. Now you can't even tell there are fountains behind that horrible mess. A crying shame. :(

Amused to Death

Original Poster
I think a CM was to be stationed there letting children in through the front gate. Not saying it was the greatest idea - just explaining!

I seriously doubt that. We're talking about the same management team who thought it was a good idea to leave the Swiss Family Treehouse entrance unmanned in order to save a few bucks. Do you honestly believe they intend/intended to employ someone to stand in front of that gate all day long? Babysitting your children? And in what amounts to pouring rain? :confused:

NewfieFan

I seriously doubt that. We're talking about the same management team who thought it was a good idea to leave the Swiss Family Treehouse entrance unmanned in order to save a few bucks. Do you honestly believe they intend/intended to employ someone to stand in front of that gate all day long? Babysitting your children? And in what amounts to pouring rain? :confused:
I don't honestly believe anything... I was just repeating what had been explained on here by others who seemed in "the know"! I haven't a slightest clue what they intended to do! But the fence does have a gate, and if they didn't plan on a CM being stationed there why wasn't the gate opened right from the beginning?

Amused to Death

Original Poster
But the fence does have a gate, and if they didn't plan on a CM being stationed there why wasn't the gate opened right from the beginning?

There is no way they ever intended for a CM to be stationed in front of the gate. Who would want to stand there in rain gear like they're a Maid of the Mist worker at Niagara Falls? How many kids would they let in at a time? How do they get them back out without a fight? One plausible explanation is that the gate was added for maintenance to be able to get in/out without having to climb over the fence.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
wait....so are the kids NOT supposed to be playing on Casey Jr at all? I haven't seen the area in person, and I was wondering why a fence would be built in a play area...but the design of the engine looks like it welcomes people to play in/on/around it. I guess I need to look at some more pictures of the area.
Exactly. I have always thought having water attractions like this are a poor idea in a theme park. Water park yes. Non water park no.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Chicken wire to keep the little critters out. And oblivious full-grown heathens.

What strikes me is the comments of the managers worried more about being sued for ADA/accessibility issues than the obvious safety issues here. That's nuts.
Its easier to deny liability for an injury than for being in violation of a written ADA statute.

AmongMadPeople

While on the one hand it's nice that someone thought it would be fun/cute for kids to pretend to be engineers, I'm surprised that this project got so far along before someone realized the safety and litigation risks.

One plausible explanation is that the gate was added for maintenance to be able to get in/out without having to climb over the fence.

That's what I'm thinking too.

flynnibus

Premium Member
plexi over the areas would look horrendous... remember this is big splashing water area afterall. Plexi will just take abuse, always be visible because of the water droplets, water stains, etc.

The only real solution is to design the cab with no interior at all (make the sides solid) and do not have any ground accessible platform ledges. Then you just have to fight people climbing it entirely like they were trained to do at the local mall playground.

Ignohippo

This all could have been avoided if hey would have built the Casey engine in the same proportions as the cars - then kids wouldn't be tall enough to climb on it. It may not have been "accurate" but it would have saved them from any problems.

Having wet kids climb on slick pieces of fiberglass sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Saying that their only concern is that it isn't ADA complient is a joke. If so, their priorities are way out of whack.

On a side note, we were there today and the kids love this thing. The giggling from the children playing would melt even the coldest heart. CircusLand is going to be much more charming than I ever thought possible. The pictures absolutely do it no justice.

To be honest though, I don't know how long this water area will last. Between the almost certain upkeep issues (let's face it, TDO doesn't have a very good record with these things) and the litguous nature of the attraction, I don't see it being around for long. If Tigger's Bounce Spot was a problem, this thing is in a whole different league.

My biggest concern is that this thing will eventually only be a statue with light water misters in about six months....

TalkingHead

Anyone who's spent more than two minutes outside the Seas pavillion at Epcot next to the Nemo Garden knows guests can't resist climbing on crap, even if there are signs instructing them not to.

If there's a Casey Jr train in the middle of a water playground, it will be climbed on -- whether it's 10' tall or 30' tall, whether there are steps leading up to it or not.

Guests don't care. The parents want PHOTO OPPS AND WOULDNT IT BE CUTE TO PUT LITTLE TIMMY-WIMMY ON THE FRONT OF CHOO-CHOO?!

Idiot design. Simple as that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom