Casey Jr. Being "Reassessed"

Brian Noble

uneducated parents produce uneducated children, the cycle continues on and on and on....
While that is true, it's also the case that children are generally not particularly good at listening or following rules---at least, not unless they are in five point restraints, and even then it is iffy.

rioriz

Just saw the video and it looks like a fun place for the kids! There were several children who went right up to the fence and stopped. Obviously they interpreted that it was there for a reason, good parenting? But like in any aspect of theme parking 101 all it takes is one bad seed to do something wrong and everyone will follow i.e Splash and all other instances of people being stupid.

herc

I would just like to know which brilliant mind at TDO or Imagineeering would think of this addition as a good idea for the Magic Kingdom. First off, you can't put a very low fence around something that has steps in a kids play area. Kids will always find a way or the parents of the year will lift their kids over the fence for a photo op.

Second, have you all watched the videos yet? There is a ton of water coming out. These kids are soaked. I hope that CMs have towels or rags to wipe down the attraction seating. I would be ed if I followed these soaked kids coming off an attraction. They gotta turn the water pressure down some. Too much water coming out. This would be perfect for a water park, but not the Magic Kingdom. Guess we won't be able to use the new bathrooms at Fantasyland Train Station as the floors will be soaked and it will become a changing room.

Third, I totally agree with the no shoes, no shirt, no service policy. Hopefully the parents of these soaked kids will towel them off and put their clothes back on.

rioriz

I would just like to know which brilliant mind at TDO or Imagineeering would think of this addition as a good idea for the Magic Kingdom. First off, you can't put a very low fence around something that has steps in a kids play area. Kids will always find a way or the parents of the year will lift their kids over the fence for a photo op.

Second, have you all watched the videos yet? There is a ton of water coming out. These kids are soaked. I hope that CMs have towels or rags to wipe down the attraction seating. I would be ed if I followed these soaked kids coming off an attraction. They gotta turn the water pressure down some. Too much water coming out. This would be perfect for a water park, but not the Magic Kingdom. Guess we won't be able to use the new bathrooms at Fantasyland Train Station as the floors will be soaked and it will become a changing room.

Third, I totally agree with the no shoes, no shirt, no service policy. Hopefully the parents of these soaked kids will towel them off and put their clothes back on.

:rolleyes: Please Google "Donald's Boat" from Toontown, any video of Splash or Kali or any Video of it Raining in FL...shoes off, soaking wet, wet bathrooms and attractions...nuff said

Though I tend to agree on the fence ;)

MagicMike

My issue with Disney's hand in this is they should never have touted this as a full on kid play area, then put a fence up around the main attraction to keep kids out.

I believe a large portion of this debacle could have been avoided if the attraction designers had planned a lot better in the beginning taken a step back and asked the nearest parent/adult with common sense "Hey, you think a kid would climb over this 2 1/2 ft fence?". The answer is yes. A unattended child will ALWAYS climb over, on, through, onto anything he or she sees if given the chance and Disney can't assume the parents will make them do otherwise.

My issue with the parents allowing/not caring that their children are disobeying rules put in place for their safety is an entirely different thread.

Ignohippo

Here's a question, why did this area need to be a splash play area? Why couldn't have been a smaller version like at the entrance to Downtown Disney? They could have had Casey's stack doing the mist and the elephants and monkey occasionally shoot out water. Yes, the kids will still get wet but I don't think you may have the chaos that is there now. I do however agree with the one post that says it Six Flagsish...

I love how many people are commenting who have never seen this thing in person. Why don't you wait to make a judgement until you actually see it in person and can make an educated opinion?

It's a blast for kids and is a great addition to WDW. Restricting the water would be tragic. In the end, I'm afraid that's exactly what they'll do, and it'll ruin it. There is nothing "Six Flags-ish" about this thing. The attention to detail is amazing, and kids really, really love it. Judging by how the kids were reacting, I'd say to was probably the highlight of the day for many of them.

And as far as wet seats go, it's only really close to Dumbo and Barnstormer. Have you ever been to Florida? It's HOT. These kids will dry off quick enough that it shouldn't be much of a concern.

C.FERNIE

In the pics the answer is Yes and I'll assist them.

i think they need to make adjustments and imagineering go back countless times after rides are opened to see whats going and any changes that need to be made, so i think we should give tham a chance!, but all this stuff about wet kids and everything is just a bit excessive! Im sure they have a way to reduce the amount of water coming when its colder... or maybe at night! bit in the height of summer its only going to take like ten minutes to dry off and to be fair if i was there on a hot day id probs just walk through that area to get soaked to cool down! :)

Bolna

Yes, it is. New ADA laws in the past 2 years now say everything needs to be accessible to the extent that non-disabled people can participate. Lawsuits are already being filed by professional scam artists. See the UOR mini golf suit. Their concern is a real one and the problem is with the way the new law is worded.

Adding link specific to "play areas". Tons of info here if anyone cares to wade through it. If you believe in conspiracy theories, which I know no one here does, word on the street is that this was intended as a hidden stimulus bill due to the amount of money required throughout for various business to retrofit existing facilities which may have previously been grandfathered in under the original act.

http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/2010ADAStandards/2010ADAstandards.htm#pgfId-1011276

Ok, I tried to read this - at least in parts. And it seems that you can still have elevated play components as long as you compensate with ground level ones. If they really are afreaid of those rules - they just need to add a ground level accessible play element. Should not be too difficult for a creative company to come up with.

Ignohippo

If there's a Casey Jr train in the middle of a water playground, it will be climbed on -- whether it's 10' tall or 30' tall, whether there are steps leading up to it or not.

This is nonsense. The other rail cars are tall enough so that no kids even attempt to climb on them. The engine/Casey Jr. could have easily been designed at the same scale.

Ignohippo

Ok, I tried to read this - at least in parts. And it seems that you can still have elevated play components as long as you compensate with ground level ones. If they really are afreaid of those rules - they just need to add a ground level accessible play element. Should not be too difficult for a creative company to come up with.

Considering the whole "play area" is at ground level, I don't think that's a problem.

C.FERNIE

Considering the whole "play area" is at ground level, I don't think that's a problem.

I agree i know they go a little to far with these laws sometimes, think its good we have them just dont go nuts and the whole are is really a ground level attraction for kids! (except for a couple of steps lol) :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I might get flammed for this...but sometimes I think that ADA goes too far. Just like some attractions can't be experienced by everyone because of height requirements, or because some people are prone to motion sickness, or have heart conditions, or whatever the reason, does EVERYTHING have to be accessable to disabled visitors? I know that the definition of disabled is large and varied, but I still think it's over the top.

flame away.

No, you are right. The problem is the standards keep getting more and more rediculuous. When the law was passed, it did not define the standards of compliance.. those were to be defined later. The principles of the law are great, and for the first 10 years or so it wasn't that bad. But now, the standards that are written by an unelected body, are automatically 'included' in the scope of the law... and those standards have gotten absolutely ridiculous.

The original law was about 'accommodating' - now the standards try to dumb everything down to the greatest common denominator... making it so nothing can be inaccessible anymore.

At this rate - curbs will be outlawed in a few years.

NewfieFan

Not if they took down the fence, hence the need and concern by the managers the OP spoke to

I don't get this!?! By that definition all the play areas would have issues. There's lots of play structures that can't accommodate all guests! IMO, Casey Jr. would be one of the most accesible play areas (except of course for the train part).

C.FERNIE

No, you are right. The problem is the standards keep getting more and more rediculuous. When the law was passed, it did not define the standards of compliance.. those were to be defined later. The principles of the law are great, and for the first 10 years or so it wasn't that bad. But now, the standards that are written by an unelected body, are automatically 'included' in the scope of the law... and those standards have gotten absolutely ridiculous.

The original law was about 'accommodating' - now the standards try to dumb everything down to the greatest common denominator... making it so nothing can be inaccessible anymore.

At this rate - curbs will be outlawed in a few years.

id like to get rid of the curbs i keep tripping over them at the magic kingdom cause i keep staring at the castle and then people (my family ...well my wife lol laugh at me :() :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom