PICTURE: Casey Splash n Soak Open

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'd just like to point out that theres looks to be enough room for a child to get between the fence and the giraffe cart so they would be able to climb onto the engine. This makes me feel like they planned this fence to be there

That's a good point. Someone made a suggestion on another message board that maybe the fence is there to control access and not block it. Now that we know there is a gate at the front, maybe they will eventually have it open, possibly with a CM there to keep things under control.

autigger

... but they should have built Casey larger so that wouldn't have been an issue.

Agreed. This is poor design. Whoever oversaw the design of a water play area had to expect that kids would try to climb over it. This is not a last minute surprise. The initial design should have included a train that did not require a fence. For the obscene amount of money they spent to tear out Mickey and Minnie's house and put this in, they could have al least got that right.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
That's a good point. Someone made a suggestion on another message board that maybe the fence is there to control access and not block it. Now that we know there is a gate at the front, maybe they will eventually have it open, possibly with a CM there to keep things under control.
Lets see if the blog manager / moderator has any idea. I posted the question about the fence (is it to block access totally, or limit the number of kids). I'll see if they respond (most likely not I know).

It just looks like it is set up so a kid could get up into the engine, so I am very hopeful they are just using this gate to limit the number of kids in there at a time. I guess worst case we'll find out when they officially open the area.

TP2000

Agreed. This is poor design. Whoever oversaw the design of a water play area had to expect that kids would try to climb over it. This is not a last minute surprise. The initial design should have included a train that did not require a fence.

Or maybe the initial design should have included a Casey Jr. Circus Train that was actually a train ride instead of a static sprinkler machine with a fence around it? :confused:

MissM

Understood. Unfortunately, in today's society people spill coffee on themselves and then sue the store for serving them hot coffee.
GRR. Seriously people, learn the facts before you parrot what the corporations tell you to say. The truth of that case versus what people "think" they know is staggering. Watch the documentary, Hot Coffee to learn the REAL facts of that and other cases. It's available right now for free on HBO Go for those who subscribe to the channel.

Sorry but it drives me crazy when people poke fun at that woman without knowing the truth of the case.

Back to topic, I agree the fence looks very awkward. It also looks so short as to just be another thing for kids to climb. Seems like they'd just climb over the fence as if it were part of the feature rather than deter any kid from the train, you know?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
GRR. Seriously people, learn the facts before you parrot what the corporations tell you to say. The truth of that case versus what people "think" they know is staggering. Watch the documentary, Hot Coffee to learn the REAL facts of that and other cases. It's available right now for free on HBO Go for those who subscribe to the channel.

Sorry but it drives me crazy when people poke fun at that woman without knowing the truth of the case.

Thanks, it also bugs me when people reference that case as an example of frivolou lawsuits, but I didn't want to be the one to bring it up. Here is a good site that also summarizes the facts of the case.

Weather_Lady

Original Poster

True - I studied the famous "coffee case" in law school and the conduct of the fast food purveyor at issue was outrageous, particularly in light of the severity of the plaintiff's injuries, and the knowledge that equally severe burns had been happening to customers, including small children, for years.

On a brighter note, the Disney Parks Blog has added pictures of adorable children playing in Casey's Splash 'n Soak Station. They sure weren't kidding about the "soak" part, and the kids look like they're having a ball!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...o-storybook-circus-doubled-dumbo-is-unveiled/

mvieguy

talked to a cast member in the SBC area, he said that Casey's train is accessible, however a Cast member will be there at all times, so kids dont get hurt or climb on the wrong parts, the front gates open, and kids can sit in the engine and press buttons and what not to make noises. however when a cast member is not available, the gate is shut

lazyboy97o

Please, stop complaining about every little thing. First the circus tent interactive area, now the fence around the train engine. Would you rather they had no fence, some kid climbs up, falls off, and sues WDW, and they end up taking out the whole train (see Tigger's bouncy area), or put the protective fence in from day? WDW is in the midst of a very large improvement project and I swear people are complaining about the smallest detail (i.e. " Gee, the new ride is great, but did you see that the pebble in the third scene was out of alignment by 1 cm?"). Enough!:mad:
Disney is supposed to be about the details, so yes, they should be completely fair game for criticism. The area should have been designed so as not to look weird.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
talked to a cast member in the SBC area, he said that Casey's train is accessible, however a Cast member will be there at all times, so kids dont get hurt or climb on the wrong parts, the front gates open, and kids can sit in the engine and press buttons and what not to make noises. however when a cast member is not available, the gate is shut
That looks like it's going to be one WET cast member, looking at the pictures from the parks blog.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Great information, thanks for asking the CM about this.

hpyhnt 1000

Huh, interesting. Thanks for the info. The cynical part of me asks how long that situation will last. I cant imagine many CMs wanting to play babysitter outside while getting water splashed on them.

The kids have already damaged the new props.

That's Magic for you!

Pics? Details? Gotta give us more than that! :)

Jim Handy

Huh, interesting. Thanks for the info. The cynical part of me asks how long that situation will last. I cant imagine many CMs wanting to play babysitter outside while getting water splashed on them.

Pics? Details? Gotta give us more than that! :)
Nothing more than Twitter reports at this point.

LongtimeReader

Interesting, the water must not have been on yet in that video. I was in there a few hours ago and the water goes EVERYWHERE, in a great way. It's practically a mini fountain. The hoses the monkeys hold alternately act like hoses and water cannons, and the smokestack sprays out a lot of mist every few seconds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom