What I think...as of today...for now...

David S.

. Face it Disney Channel is better now. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

In your opinion. In my opinion it SUCKS now! And I'm not saying that because I'm not a "tween". When I WAS a tween and teen, I hated the type of teenybopper/tweenybopper shows that are on there now!

They seem to be about kids in the present day, concerned about school, and popularity, and dating and so forth. Those type of shows always bored me, even when I WAS the "target age"!

I like, and always liked, the classic Walt stuff that dealt with Fantasy, or took you to a distant time and/or place far, far, away from modern day "keep up with the Joneses" America. I prefer the PURE ESCAPISM and Fantasy of a Walt Disney Production much more than the modern day Disney Channel.

Having said that, I DO love the current offerings of Walt Disney Animation Studios (such as Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, and Princess and the Frog), and MOST of the Pixar films, so when the Disney Channel shows these it's one of the few times I watch it!

jt04

I believe them also but I just want to make sure before I start planning my next trip. You know so I can ride Scary Adventures one last time if it's leaving (I doubt it) an be the first to ride the new mine coaster.

I doubt seriously they would have two SW mine train attractions. I'm positive they would not.

David S.

I agree but you calling it a disgrace is far fetched.

I didn't call the Channel a "disgrace". What I meant, and I thought would be inferred, was that it is a disgrace that they have completely turned their back on Walt's Classics.

Would a "Vault Disney" block between midnight and 5 in the morning be asking too much, instead of showing the same Hannah Montana reruns over and over again?

Grizzly Hall 71

In your opinion. In my opinion it SUCKS now! And I'm not saying that because I'm not a "tween". When I WAS a tween and teen, I hated the type of teenybopper/tweenybopper shows that are on their now!

They seem are about kids in the present day, concerned about school, and popularity, and dating and so forth. Those type of shows always bored me, even when I WAS the "target age"!

I like, and always liked, the classic Walt stuff that dealt with Fantasy, or took you to a distant time and/or place far, far, away from modern day "keep up with the Joneses" America. I prefer the PURE ESCAPISM and Fantasy of a Walt Disney Production much more than the modern day Disney Channel.

Having said that, I DO love the current offerings of Walt Disney Animation Studios (such as Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, and Princess and the Frog), and MOST of the Pixar films, so when the Disney Channel shows these it's one of the few times I watch it!

Your not the target audience though. And when you were ok so you didn't like that stuff but millions others did and do today. Not everyone is a Disney Fanatic like us. And that's why Disney Channel started more original sitcoms.

Also if you watch between the shows up there they show some original Disney shorts. So Disney channel hasn't lost everything.

Once again if it ain't broke don't fix it. It's my opinion vs. Yours but the fact is:

IT'S MORE POPULAR NOW THAN EVER!

Grizzly Hall 71

I didn't call the Channel a "disgrace". What I meant, and I thought would be inferred, was that it is a disgrace that they have completely turned their back on Walt's Classics.

Would a "Vault Disney" block between midnight and 5 in the morning be asking too much, instead of showing the same Hannah Montana reruns over and over again?

Well they do show The Little Mermaid show around that time and some old Disney shows.

Look at it this way Disney can make kids get their parents to buy movies when they market the new releases. Such as, Internet reminders, specials about special features on the DVD, and clips from the films. That's the best way to get the youner generation to watch the films. Because I doubt they would watch Dumbo over a new Hannah Montana.

David S.

I don't get it are you retired or not... Wait is this Bret Farve :lookaroun

I never believed for a second that Grizz would retire! I get a kick out of Farve, though - he always "unretires" just in time for the start of the season, but too late to have to go to training camp or summer workouts!

David S.

Also if you watch between the shows up there they show some original Disney shorts. So Disney channel hasn't lost everything.

Yes, they pretty much have. Those classics shorts you are referring to are butchered and hacked. They showed them in their entirety on the Ink and Paint Club on Vault Disney.

Once again if it ain't broke don't fix it. It's my opinion vs. Yours but the fact is:

IT'S MORE POPULAR NOW THAN EVER!

Well, popularity does not automatically equal quality. Just look at the music in the charts!

But we will have to agree to disagree.

Don't you have a football game to prepare for, Brett? ;)

Lee

Adventurer
Original Poster
I know this will never happen but how cool would it be if the new SW mine cart ride also housed an updated version of SWSA?
Interesting, but nit happening. One ride going into that space.

Hasn't Lee confirmed it is not a traditional tracked coaster? :shrug:
Nope. For all I know it's a full-on coaster with a lift hill and some drops.
It's supposedly mine-themed and has been described as both a coaster and "mine car ride.". I also seem to recall hearing it wad not individual cars, but a train of them.

This new ride has the potential for slight elavation changes. Similar as someone said, to pirates.
I hate to use pirates as a comparison, since folks might get the wrong idea.

David S.

Well they do show The Little Mermaid show around that time and some old Disney shows.

That show is not from the WALT era. I'm talking about shows like Walt Disney's Wonderful World Of Color/Wonderful World Of Disney (my favorite TV show of ALL TIME!) and Zorro. Stuff that Vault Disney actually showed, along with the classic films and shorts.

Grizzly Hall 71

Yes, they pretty much have. Those classics shorts you are referring to are butchered and hacked. They showed them in their entirety on the Ink and Paint Club on Vault Disney.

Well, popularity does not automatically equal quality. Just look at the music in the charts!

But we will have to agree to disagree.

Don't you have a football game to prepare for, Brett? ;)

But what has Disney been trying to do more over the years? MAKE MONEY! It's all about the Money! Money! Money! That's it. If they didn't want to make as much they would still show the classics all the time.

jt04

Interesting, but nit happening. One ride going into that space.

And a chateau :) Hopefully. I don't care if it is just an equipment room, they need to build the chateau. It could be on the scale of the HM facade.

Nope. For all I know it's a full-on coaster with a lift hill and some drops.
It's supposedly mine-themed and has been described as both a coaster and "mine car ride.". I also seem to recall hearing it wad not individual cars, but a train of them.

This sounds like a tame mummyesque ride then. Like!

I hate to use pirates as a comparison, since folks might get the wrong idea.

Understood.

David S.

But what has Disney been trying to do more over the years? MAKE MONEY! It's all about the Money! Money! Money! That's it. If they didn't want to make as much they would still show the classics all the time.

They could still make money by tossing Walt fans a bone between midnight and 5 in the morning, without showing the same Hannah Montana, etc. reruns during that time.

Nobody is asking them to show the classics "all the time". But they aren't showing them ANY of the time.

Disney Channel used to have stuff that EVERY "demographic" could enjoy, and things the whole family could enjoy TOGETHER, but now they ONLY show stuff "targeted" to preschoolers, tweens, and teens.

Grizzly Hall 71

They could still make money by tossing Walt fans a bone between midnight and 5 in the morning, without showing the same Hannah Montana, etc. reruns during that time.

Nobody is asking them to show the classics "all the time". But they aren't showing them ANY of the time.

Disney Channel used to have stuff that EVERY "demographic" could enjoy, and things the whole family could enjoy TOGETHER, but now they ONLY show stuff "targeted" to preschoolers, tweens, and teens.

I've seen Peter Pan, Dumbi, Pinnochio and a couple of others come on in the past few years. So they still do come on. And well maybe they did research and saw that Disney Channel wasn't appearing to those demos as well and changed their focus a little. What's wrong with that? Disney barely makes stuff for Teens outside of Disney Channel.

David S.

And you and I are in complete agreement over the Disney Channel. As a kid, there was a long period where my family was unable to visit the parks for personal reasons. TDC was so much fun to watch back then that it was like a little piece of Disney magic brought straight to you. However successful it might be now, it definitely ain't that anymore.

I might have to search out a Dumbo viewing myself after this discussion. :)

I completely agree with your comments about the Disney Channel! Please let me know how you like Dumbo! :)

Evil Genius

I hate to contribute to this thread drift...but I'd like to point to the fact that on my Direct TV subscription I have five Disney channels...FIVE! All of which show the EXACT same programming about two hours apart from one another! You cannot tell me that they couldn't utilize one of these channels as a "Vault Disney" network to show The Wonderful World of Disney, Donal Duck Presents, Dumbo's Circus, Good Morning Mickey, Mousterpeice Theatre and the like!

There is quite honestly NO excuse for this blantant disuse of classic Disney films and shorts...none whatsoever! Not when they feel they can show the EXACT same homogenized tween sitcoms and films ad nauseum!

Tigger1988

I hate to contribute to this thread drift...but I'd like to point to the fact that one my Direct TV subscription I have five Disney channels...FIVE! All of which show the EXACT same programming about two hours apart from one another! You cannot tell me that they couldn't utilize one of these channels as a "Vault Disney" network to show The Wonderful World of Disney, Donal Duck Presents, Dumbo's Circus, Good Morning Mickey, Mousterpeice Theatre and the like!

There is quite honestly NO excuse for this blantant disuse of classic Disney films and shorts...none whatsoever! Not when they feel they can show the EXACT same homogenized tween sitcoms and films ad nauseum!

Yup. When I was in Disney recently and Disney Channel was the only thing of substance to watch (which is sad). I saw the same 2 episodes of each show over and over and over in a 5 day period. Are they running short on programming? How good could the ratings be for rerun #31313 of Suite Life of Zack and Cody?

And I don't even begin to discuss the bastardization of classic Mickey cartoons by turning them into a music video for a Black Eyed Peas song.

David S.

I've seen Peter Pan, Dumbi, Pinnochio and a couple of others come on in the past few years. So they still do come on. And well maybe they did research and saw that Disney Channel wasn't appearing to those demos as well and changed their focus a little. What's wrong with that? Disney barely makes stuff for Teens outside of Disney Channel.

But those airings are rare, and the exception to the rule, and only the most well-known of Walt-era productions. Everything else is being neglected and forgotten.

And I disagree that the only thing Disney makes for teens is the Disney channel.

Every film Walt ever made was made for the whole family - for people of all ages (see my signature). When I was I teen I LOVED this stuff (and still do!), even though it was made before I was born! The problem with a lot of modern entertainment IMO is it's become too fragmented, with things just trying to appeal to one age group. Very few things are being made nowadays that are "targeted" at the whole family enjoying them together, like the classic Walt stuff was. Disney Feature Animation and Pixar films being a notable exception.

Grizzly Hall 71

Disney is trying to keep up with the changing times with Disney Channel. Being stuck in the past is not good. Walt always said keep moving forward and that's what they did. I don't understand, so Disney Channel isn't for you. Then don't watch it. No one is making anyone watch Disney Channel. If you don't like it, turn to another Disney owned channel. ESPN (2,classic,deportes, etc.), Lifetime, ABC, SoapNet, Disney XD, and a whole bunch of others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom