Sunshine Tree Terrace upcoming refurbishment

007mickey

Meh. Ever since they changed them from frozen orange juice to orange soft serve, the Citrus Swirls have been dead to me. They just don't taste that good anymore. Besides, you can get them at Aloha Isle so it's a moot point.

So they are serving them at both locations? I thought they moved only to be served at Aloha Isle.

DonaldDoleWhip

Meh. Ever since they changed them from frozen orange juice to orange soft serve, the Citrus Swirls have been dead to me. They just don't taste that good anymore. Besides, you can get them at Aloha Isle so it's a moot point.

Personally, I'd love to see them turn Sunshine Tree into a BBQ place like Bengal Barbeque at Disneyland. Would provide a great snack alternative for the park. Or at least bring back the Orange Bird. :)
Agree with both points - citrus swirls are disgusting now. And I would love to see a Bengal Barbecue style place in Adventureland (but I don't think it will ever happen, because WDW's snacks/pastries/food offerings have become so homogenized).

Brian_WDW74

I agree about the citrus swirls being disgusting now. But I bought one for the Orange Bird a little over a year ago and he seemed to enjoy it.

3085299920_941980fc7d_d.jpg

Sadly, the CM working the counter had no idea who he was, and she had no real interest when I tried to explain. A shame.

aladdin2007

That is adorable:wave:,,,I want one of those orange birds :(

I know tokyo disney sells a ton of orange bird merch,, why I do not know. he belongs here!!

Figment82

I know tokyo disney sells a ton of orange bird merch,, why I do not know. he belongs here!!

He's popular over there (or was, not so much anymore I've heard) because Japan has a love of "cutie characters." Miss Bunny and Clarice are also very popular over there, even though they are pretty much obscure in the States (not quite so much now that they have walkaround chracters at the parks).

But yes, I agree that he does belong back here. :)

misterID

Wait a minute, when did they change the swirl? It even looks different in that picture.

I don't think I've had one since 02-03.

NewfieFan

Wait a minute, when did they change the swirl? It even looks different in that picture.

I didn't think it had been that long since I had one... but the one pictured certainly looks different than I remember. The last one I had tasted good, though... wouldn't be able to tell you if it was made with soft serve or not!?!

Love the pic of Orange Bird! Too cute!

My MIL was cleaning out her house a couple of years ago and found a little figurine of Orange Bird that my husband got on his trip to FL when he was 5! I have it now... I should take a pic of it and upload it!

Are the pins still available at WDW? I saw pics of them on the Disney pin trading site and I have to get at least one for my hubby!

LordHelmut

Personally, I'd love to see them turn Sunshine Tree into a BBQ place like Bengal Barbeque at Disneyland. Would provide a great snack alternative for the park. Or at least bring back the Orange Bird. :)

Random Mode On:

You can still get (mostly) the original swirl. For those who didn't see them, they were originally served in a clear plastic cup, about 3" high, depending on the skill of the CM, it would be piled anywhere from 1-2" higher than the cup. (just like a soft serve). Originally the treat used 'real' soft-serve ice cream. The first 'cut' on the product came when they switched to a 'yougurt' ice cream. Biggest letdown, it seems like the swirl was off the menu for a time, at some point (I think) it reappeared, I ordered (not seeing what was being served) and got the current version. My wife ended up eating all but the first bite, as it tasted like defeat, of running the ball to the 1 yard line, only to be blind-sided, tackled, mugged and taped to put on youtube, or like that really great looking steak, that could easily been used as a body armor panel because it was so tough. (but I digress)

What you have at the park now is a orange sherbet - god-knows-what - ice cream twist. It's conveniently available pretty much everywhere else on the planet if you have a soft serve ice cream stand serving more than chocolate and vanilla. Biggest hang up with the original ? It melted, fast. You really had to lick the heck out of it to keep up. The current product, I think will actually still be 'solid' even in 100 deg heat the following day.;)

You can still get (mostly) the original swirl. You need to get the 'citrus slush' which is not quite as cold or as small of a grain size as the original, and have the CM alternate in the soft-serve. When I've asked nicely, I've not been turned down for the request. Once (just once) I had an older CM at the counter, who knew exactly what I was looking for, she took the time to alternate the layers of oj-ice cream, and for a few minutes, I could almost see the tree, the 'sunlight' effect and the orange bird. (both life size and in the tree)

How to tell when you've been to the parks a lot... when you have very specific viewpoints on something as arcane as a frozen treat, and you post in boards concerning your preferences....

I *hope* they have the citrus slush machine over at Aloha... I'm supposed to be there starting this sunday.

EPCOT Explorer

I didn't think it had been that long since I had one... but the one pictured certainly looks different than I remember. The last one I had tasted good, though... wouldn't be able to tell you if it was made with soft serve or not!?!

My MIL was cleaning out her house a couple of years ago and found a little figurine of Orange Bird that my husband got on his trip to FL when he was 5! I have it now... I should take a pic of it and upload it!

Are the pins still available at WDW? I saw pics of them on the Disney pin trading site and I have to get at least one for my hubby!

Pretty sure they are. Saw them at most pin locations a few weeks ago. :D

They have GOT to make pins cheaper...:lol:

cdunbar

He's coming back on Pins....:shrug:

Mr.EPCOT

Honestly, I'd rather see Pecos Bills converted into a barbeque place. Adventureland Veranda wouldn't be bad, either, although the Asian fare of the Noodle Station would be a better fit there, I think. The entrance of Adventureland is more towards the South Pacific theme, right? Wouldn't mind seeing barbeque at Diamond Horseshoe, either, if they're not going to do shows there anymore.

And when did they get rid of frozen orange juice at Sunshine Tree? Seems like I just had one a few months ago.

Brian_WDW74

I think it was changed sometime in 2007. I took the picture on Dec. 5, 2008.

Thanks! I'd love to see a pic of your figurine, even if you don't post it here. I'm a huge Orange Bird fan.

WDW should still have the pins, but you can also buy them at disneystore.com:
http://www.disneystore.com/disney-parks/pins-lanyards/pins/c/302605/ :)

WDW1974

what does it say about management that the first thing people see when crossing the bridge into A-Land is a huge shuttered QSR facility?

Expo_Seeker40

Random Adventureland comments and questions:

1.) Where did the swan boats dock in A-land and is the dock still there?

2.) I didn't see citrus/orange slush on any menu when I was in the MK last year, is it at Aloha Isle?

3.) I never payed much attention to the A-land Veranda but could it be possible to turn it into a nice sit down restaurant with an additional terrace that faces toward the magic kingdom, or large floor to ceiling windows facing the castle such as the Plaza Restaurant on Main Street?

SirGoofy

1.) Where did the swan boats dock in A-land and is the dock still there?

They docked and were stored in the same place as the Jungle Cruise boats, which is backstage.

3.) I never payed much attention to the A-land Veranda but could it be possible to turn it into a nice sit down restaurant with an additional terrace that faces toward the magic kingdom, or large floor to ceiling windows facing the castle such as the Plaza Restaurant on Main Street?

Yes as it pertains to being converted to a nice restaurant. As far as the views, I'm not sure. I only explored the place a few times while working the Pirate Princess parties, and I'm sure there's someone out there that knows better than me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom