video walk down memory lane....grab your popcorn!!!

Lord Pheonix

Original Poster
still working on finding the magic kingdom vids. parents have them. love the before and after idea. i love the wdw village footage also. its interesting to see the only thing left intact is that pier thing sticking out in the lake. cant count the steamboat cause they took the paddel off it.

Lord Pheonix

Original Poster
I cannot get over how people dressed back then. Also there did not seem to be crowds of people.

whats wrong with the way we dressed??? i thought i was stylin'.

heres me pimpin some shorts:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/album.php?albumid=944&pictureid=12344

heres me again rockin a cool hip suit in the 70's:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/album.php?albumid=944&pictureid=12346

and my personal favorite:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/album.php?albumid=944&pictureid=12345
which, ironicly, was taken inside the post show area of world of motion. gotta love the square hat

KramerTM

Awesome vids. Actually reminded me of all the camcorder vids my parents took on our first trip down there in 1989 (one of the worst winters in the southeast US I can remember... we got stuck in a blizzard in Savannah Georgia on our drive down !)

Quick question... anyone have a good suggestion about how to transferold VHS tapes like these to DVD so we can be sure they never deteriorate?

muteki

This is so great, not only just the attractions and everything, but the people in particular are interesting. The dress, mannerisms, crowd (or lack thereof). Do you remember the time of year this trip took place? Peak/off peak, time of day, etc? I am just starting, but crowds seem noticeably absent, eerie almost.

Oh, and in regards to maps, I usually go here:

http://wdwpast.tripod.com/

or here:

http://www.florida-project.com/

Not my handiwork, but they are awesome resources.

hazelrah

Okay, I made it exactly 1:26 into Part 1 before I had to stop and write a comment about how awesome these are. You haven't even made it out of the parking lot yet, and already I'm loving it. I like the fact that the video lingers, really giving me a chance to how the entrance plaza has changed.

Great stuff, hope they're all like that, but even if not, well worth it!

Lord Pheonix

Original Poster
Actually reminded me of all the camcorder vids my parents took on our first trip down there in 1989 (one of the worst winters in the southeast US I can remember... we got stuck in a blizzard in Savannah Georgia on our drive down !)

you meen this one?

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/album.php?albumid=944&pictureid=12347

i remember the snow had blown in under the door gap and piled up on the floor. we were stuck there 4 2 days in the savanna days in. thats my father standing behind our 1987 pontiac wagon. you might wanna watch the vids carefully, you might be on them somewhere since apperantly we were there the same time.

This is so great, not only just the attractions and everything, but the people in particular are interesting. The dress, mannerisms, crowd (or lack thereof). Do you remember the time of year this trip took place? Peak/off peak, time of day, etc? I am just starting, but crowds seem noticeably absent, eerie almost.

as i said b4, it was always a xmas trip, and the park wasnt full like today because it was a new park and noone really knew about it yet.

I like the fact that the video lingers, really giving me a chance to how the entrance plaza has changed.
yes, my father, under the constant badgering of my mother, was trying to be as professional as possible, explaining why he carried around 100 lbs of batteries, they would only last about 2 hours, (or one vcr tape) per charge, and were slightly larger then motercycle/lawn tractor batteries

KramerTM

you meen this one?

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/album.php?albumid=944&pictureid=12347

i remember the snow had blown in under the door gap and piled up on the floor. we were stuck there 4 2 days in the savanna days in. thats my father standing behind our 1987 pontiac wagon. you might wanna watch the vids carefully, you might be on them somewhere since apperantly we were there the same time.

Link didn't work for me. :brick:

edit: And wait, aren't these videos from 1983, not 1989? Confused.

KramerTM

sorry, album was set to private by mistake. try it now

yes. that pic of snow in savanna is from 89, but the vids are from 83

Yep! That is definitely the snow storm we got stuck in!

This is so funny... I have to ask my father, but I want to say that we also ended up at the Day's Inn in Savannah as well. We have tons of videos from that trip, starting with my father filming us at the Savannah motel talking about how excited we were to be going to Disney for the first time.

Do you have any videos from your 1989 trip? We have a ton that I really need to get onto DVD, but my dad's home videos make your dad look like a veritable Steven Spielberg with the camera. At least half of our videos were him walking around with the camera on record with the lens cap still on!

And if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm 26, and my brother is 3 years older, so I'm wondering if we were around the same age during thre 1989 trip (I guess we would still be the same age, but you know what I mean.)

Uncle Lupe

Watched the PM Magazine segment, sad to hear all the optimism of adding up to 30 countries and 5 more pavilions with others on the drawing board.

Krack2

How sad is it that I'd rather sit and watch these videos of EPCOT Center than actually spend a day at Epcot 2010?

These are the best; they are like treasure.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks.

That's what I thought, but that would mean they had to tear down the WOM before they could build Test Track right? That's a pretty big deal since it looks like WOM was a big people mover. I do think it's neat how Test track mirrors the whole "going outside" thing.
Shameless plug; go to martinsvids.net and look up Test Track - Martins Ultimate Tribute. I did a whole section about converting the building from WOM to TT :wave:

allmighty; I`m only half way through the first vid but holy crap. This is amazing. It is like a time capsule with so many details (both audio and video) captured.

Thanks for all your efforts in getting these up.

Lord Pheonix

Original Poster
im estatic that they have been so well recieved, and i wouldnt post hem on any other wdw site.

in 1989, i was 13. this was the trip we took when mgm either first opened or was still within a year of opening. i was standing in line with mom for tgmr in mgm and was freezing cause it was only in the low 40's and all i had was a sweatshirt. i know i have pics of that trip, all of family standing in front of things, but nothing sceanic. not sure about the videos, i dont think we used the video camera anymor by this time. but i have at least 6 hours more of footage from the 80s i still have to go through, as soon as i can get them back from my parents, lol.

transfering old vhs to dvd:
you can buy a capture card relativly cheap, from bestbuy or someother simular store, usually around $25 to $50, then hook ur vcr to the pc using rca cables, or the cable coax. this is better as you can sometimes fix issues using video editing software, not to mention you can use it to copy tv shows or movies, things like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom