Princess and the frog a failure?

EpcotServo

Ditto.
Right after he said "Death...", I whispered "No....don't say it...."
:rolleyes:
He did.

Makes me self-conscious about my own writing. I have a strong urge to go back and check my script for eye-roll lines like that.:lol:

Yeah. Of course with me it gives me the urge to actually get BACK to writing.
:lol: :lookaroun

And you're complaining about Avatar's script?

Well the difference is that it was just the one line, everything else was great. Avatar's dialogue was just kind of plain the whole movie.

:lol:

Wilt Dasney

Just to be clear, I was NOT saying PatF is analogous to Mermaid. As Sherm said, Mermaid only came along after Disney had been petering along with pleasant but not particularly memorable animated fare for a while (Great Mouse Detective, Oliver & Company).

I believe it was imagineer boy who said a few weeks ago that he put this film in the Oliver & Company league. I'd say that's about right. Does that mean we have another Mermaid coming down the pipe soon? We'll have to wait and see.

CaptainMichael

Even I did a double-take when I saw the villain was a voodoo priest, but mostly because I was asking how did a voodoo priest and New Orleans combine (I know, the whole black magic in the bayou, but still...in a Disney princess tale? Slightly odd combo.).
Really? Is that a serious question? How do New Orleans and VooDoo combine???:ROFLOL: Also, princess films and Disney films in general are filled with black magic/magic.

You should have double-taked when you heard they were setting a princess movie in New Orleans/United States.

Even if PatF doesn't do too hot earnings-wise, if it's a good movie then it will still be considered a classic.

Just ask Snow White, Hyacinth Hippo, and Maleficent.
Snow White revolutionized the movie industry. It won an Academy Award. It kept the Disney company afloat. You could argue that without Snow White, we're not here discussing anything Disney. Apples and oranges.

I think the word "classic" gets thrown around WAY too liberaly these days. I would never consider movies like Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, or Chicken Little classics and honestly I don't think PatF will meet the criteria either. It's not a movie that people 5 to 10 years from now are going to remember, but that's just my opinion of course.
I completely agree.

Do you fit the demographic though?

A "classic" movie transcends generations. I can sit down with my family (my dad, mom, sister, ect) and enjoy the Lion King, Toy Story, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and Jungle Book and have an enjoyable evening. These movies last and stand the test of time and appeal to everyone.

Lastly, Bolt was better than PatF IMHO.

Animaniac93-98

What many forget is that upon their respective releases is that Oliver and Company, Robin hood, The Rescuers for example were all record breaking box office hits (not adjusting for inflation) even if they are ignored by the company today or leave critics divided.

If there is an animated film that matches Frog in terms of critical and box office performance it's The Great Mouse Detective. A film received well by critics, makes some money and helps restore a brand image for the public, but doesn't break any records.

For the record though, I think GMD is vastly superior to PatF. ;)

FigmentJedi

I blame the weather and it being put up against Avatar and Alvin in the weeks that followed it.

Another thing, as I said in a previous post, is that it's doing far better than Chicken Little, Meet the Robinson's, and Bolt in merchandise sales.
That's because merchandise for Princess and the Frog is being sold in places other then the Disney Store, unlike all three of those.

tirian

Even if PatF doesn't do too hot earnings-wise, if it's a good movie then it will still be considered a classic.

Just ask Snow White, Hyacinth Hippo, and Maleficent.

Snow White? As in "the-highest-grossing-movie-of-all-time-until-Gone-With-the-Wind-was-released" Snow White?

It's a decent movie, but PatF doesn't begin to compare to that Snow White.

tirian

Yeah. Of course with me it gives me the urge to actually get BACK to writing.
:lol: :lookaroun

Well the difference is that it was just the one line, everything else was great. Avatar's dialogue was just kind of plain the whole movie.

:lol:

Hey, Avatar's dialogue was Shakespeare compared to the Star Wars prequels.

But that's not saying much. :lol:

How long do you think it'll take for this thread to be put in its proper forum?

tirian

I still have to take the time to watch Return of the King. The first two LotR movies were so completely boring to me (I honestly couldn't tell you 5 things that happened in the first two films), I'm having trouble making myself watch ROTK. I'll get around to it eventually.

Your movie opinions are hereby meaningless to me. :p :animwink:

dxwwf3

Your movie opinions are hereby meaningless to me. :p :animwink:

Sorry :). I know I'm in the minority, so there has to be something there. But I am completely apathetic to the first two films. Didn't hate them, but didn't care about anything in them either.

imagineer boy

I believe it was imagineer boy who said a few weeks ago that he put this film in the Oliver & Company league. I'd say that's about right. Does that mean we have another Mermaid coming down the pipe soon? We'll have to wait and see.

Let's hope so!

I liked the film, but I think the company made a bad choice by not opening it on Thanksgiving weekend. It was simply perfect to release it then! Nothing else was just released and Avatar was weeks away.

I think some other people made some good points about the title scaring away boys. Its definately a very femenine sounding title.

imagineer boy

Sorry :). I know I'm in the minority, so there has to be something there. But I am completely apathetic to the first two films. Didn't hate them, but didn't care about anything in them either.

I kinda know how you feel. I feel the same way when I watch super long old classics like the Godfather, Gone with the Wind, Ben Hur, etc. I like them and apreciate them for what they are, but find them a little boring at times and tend to be apathetic.

LOTR is a different matter though for me. :lol: I guess its mostly because I experienced them in the theater.

Wilt Dasney

Hey, Avatar's dialogue was Shakespeare compared to the Star Wars prequels.

But that's not saying much. :lol:

Hold me like you did by the lake on Naboo. :kiss:

:lookaroun

I think some other people made some good points about the title scaring away boys. Its definately a very femenine sounding title.
I definitely would have preferred to have had a girl standing next to me when I ordered my ticket.

(Actual dialogue, following several young guys buying tickets to Avatar)

Me: "One for Princess and the Frog."

Girl behind the glass: "Two?"

Me: "Just one." (Followed by "Wanna make something of it?" in my head.) :lookaroun

_Scar

Snow White? As in "the-highest-grossing-movie-of-all-time-until-Gone-With-the-Wind-was-released" Snow White?

It's a decent movie, but PatF doesn't begin to compare to that Snow White.

I meant Cinderella :/ sorry for the confusion.

Cinderella- in my opinion- is one of the most beautiful animated movies I've personally ever seen and is still considered a classic- but only raked in 85 million worldwide (and I believe that may include the re-releases).

tomman710

You can't judge the movie, even the BO, until the run is complete. We don't know how long it could hang around.

P.S. Avatar had some of the worst dialogue of the decade. And the story? I liked it better the first couple times I saw it when it was called Dances With Wolves and Ferngully.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom