Princess and the frog a failure?

Computer Magic

When it comes to Disney there is more to gaining a profit then what the movie brings in at the box office. Their movies tie into theme parks and merchandises on the self. DVD sales is also a big part of Disney profit expectations. Disney will milk this movie for generations in the parks, selling dresses, accessories, etc.

I have stated this before, Pixar movies seem geared towards boys and Disney has been geared towards princesses. Yes, they are the same company, but look at the movies that were made. Off topic, I think Disney is gearling too much towards girls.

MAF

I think the word "classic" gets thrown around WAY too liberaly these days. I would never consider movies like Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, or Chicken Little classics and honestly I don't think PatF will meet the criteria either. It's not a movie that people 5 to 10 years from now are going to remember, but that's just my opinion of course.

dxwwf3

When it comes to Disney there is more to gaining a profit then what the movie brings in at the box office. Their movies tie into theme parks and merchandises on the self. DVD sales is also a big part of Disney profit expectations. Disney will milk this movie for generations in the parks, selling dresses, accessories, etc.

I have stated this before, Pixar movies seem geared towards boys and Disney has been geared towards princesses. Yes, they are the same company, but look at the movies that were made. Off topic, I think Disney is gearling too much towards girls.

I don't think anyone would disagree. Cars wasn't anywhere near the biggest Pixar movie at the Box Office, but I would be willing to bet that it is the most profitable film they have made from a merchandising standpoint.

But still I think Disney probably expected a little better BO than this when it brought out a new princess film.

dxwwf3

Quoted for Truth.

I still have to take the time to watch Return of the King. The first two LotR movies were so completely boring to me (I honestly couldn't tell you 5 things that happened in the first two films), I'm having trouble making myself watch ROTK. I'll get around to it eventually.

Wilt Dasney

I still have to take the time to watch Return of the King. The first two LotR movies were so completely boring to me (I honestly couldn't tell you 5 things that happened in the first two films), I'm having trouble making myself watch ROTK. I'll get around to it eventually.
I doubt it would be worth your time, if you hated the first two that much. After an hour or so of LotR, you know what you're getting, so it's just a matter of whether or not you want more. (I personally fell in love with FotR from the opening shots.)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think the word "classic" gets thrown around WAY too liberaly these days. I would never consider movies like Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, or Chicken Little classics and honestly I don't think PatF will meet the criteria either. It's not a movie that people 5 to 10 years from now are going to remember, but that's just my opinion of course.

Do you fit the demographic though?

dxwwf3

I doubt it would be worth your time, if you hated the first two that much. After an hour or so of LotR, you know what you're getting, so it's just a matter of whether or not you want more. (I personally fell in love with FotR from the opening shots.)

Well it's one of the "top films" of the decade and because I've started the series, I feel like I need to finish it. And because I could not possibly think any higher of his remake of King Kong, I also want to see all of Peter Jackson's films.

But yes I probably won't care for RotK either because right now, I care absolutely nothing about the characters or the story after the first two films :shrug:

ChrisFL

Premium Member

If you can't appreciate the brilliance of the first two, then the third one would be lost on you as well.

MAF

Demographics don't really matter if the movie is good enough. A good movie will be able to please any demographic. I don't fit the demographic for movies like the Little Mermaid or the Lion King but I still watch those to this date.

Wilt Dasney

If we're talking about defining what is or isn't a classic, then shouldn't the whole idea of demographics be moot? "Classic" films are generally good enough to break through those barriers and appeal to a (theoretically) universal audience.

IMO, this movie won't be a classic 10 years from now. But if it's good enough to revive the art of hand drawn and see where it takes us, that's good enough for me.

Computer Magic

IMO, this movie won't be a classic 10 years from now. But if it's good enough to revive the art of hand drawn and see where it takes us, that's good enough for me.
Exactly..Look where Little Mermaid took us after years of poorly 2d movies...

I'm not sure the movie interest me, but I will support it by buying the DVD.

hrcollectibles

I wouldn't call the film a failure.. I think it was/is up against some pretty stiff competition. .. I think once it hits DVD people (read Disney Fans) will add this to their collection.. But as we all know thanx to Yogurt.. "Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made."

dxwwf3

Exactly..Look where Little Mermaid took us after years of poorly 2d movies...

I'm not sure the movie interest me, but I will support it by buying the DVD.

Yes but Mermaid was a huge success. HUGE. Sure there wasn't as much competition as PatF had to face, but it will probably end up making more money with 1989 dollars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom