Inside WDW new space mountain 11/10/09

Buried20KLeague

Your awesome. Thanks for being awesome! :sohappy:

But unfortunately his response will be " I haven't been going to WDW, blah blah blah!" but yet he and others will still come here to complain. :rolleyes: So they are either liars who still go to WDW and just say they don't to win an argument or they are just annoying posters on a board about a place that they don't like anymore. I wouldn't want to be either of those options.

Wait a tic...

So you're calling me a liar? I'm not sure personal attacks are allowed on this forum. I'm sure a moderator could verify that.

I'm neither a liar, nor am I someone that doesn't like WDW.

You're offering only two possibilities... How about a third? That I used to take my family to WDW 2-3 times a year... For about 10 years. Then we decided we wanted to check out other resorts because we thought WDW got stale.

With every visit to a different location around the world, we became less and less enamored with WDW and more impressed with what they've done elsewhere. Even my 12 and 11 year old daughters saw it. They actually asked if we could go to DL for Christmas instead of WDW... But I had already used free airfare for the tickets.

I sometimes complain about WDW because it's a shell of its former self... And it bothers me. I LOVE WDW. And it's hard to see these things happen and just be "okay" with it. I don't understand why that's such a hard concept for anyone to understand.

gustaftp

Because so much of Epcot and Animal Kingdom are about experiencing the atmosphere as opposed to seeing attractions the argument about the completeness level of these parks is going to be forever debated.
Forever debated? EPCOT? If there's debate about it, it only seems to be coming from you. Even Birnbaum's states that you really need 2 days to see all of EPCOT. You can hit up all of Future World in a day and still not have seen everything there.

EPCOT is much more than a full-day park. You're honestly the first person I've heard suggest otherwise, and I've been in the Disney park fan community since 1999.

WDITrent

Just so everyone knows, pinpoint star projections probably aren't digital, which leads me to think that they probably aren't in HD. :)

Buried20KLeague

If you haven't been to WDW in 15 years, why are you here criticizing a place you've only seen in photos and read about on the internet? How can you down something that you haven't experienced for yourself in that amount of time? :rolleyes:

DUDE. SERIOUSLY.

I'm in the "LONGEST STRETCH WITHOUT VISITING WDW IN 15 YEARS".

Can you PLEASE read my post and comprehend it before launching accusing attacks my direction? Mkay. Thanks. :wave:

krankenstein

If you haven't been to WDW in 15 years, why are you here criticizing a place you've only seen in photos and read about on the internet? How can you down something that you haven't experienced for yourself in that amount of time? :rolleyes:

He said it was his longest stretch in 15 years. Not 15 years since his last visit.

Stitchmon

Well when that person is basically saying that a refurbrished Ford Taurus is better than a top of the line, brand new luxury sedan then yes...it is a little hard to comprehend.

Wow, after reading this thread I think the wrong space mountain got the refurb, lol. So let me get this striaght...DL's space mountain is boring and has one of the worst layouts in roller coaster history. In fact it's so boring that the only way they could get people to ride it was to trick it out with state of the art special effects, a brand new smooth track, an onboard soundtrack, and everything else it got in it's rebuild. Yet inspite of all that, the ride is still a snoozefest? Maybe they should start using Disneyland's SM to cure people suffering from insomnia?

That's interesting though, cause if the layout is so horrible and the ride is so boring why in the world did they clone it in Hong Kong and Tokyo? I guess there are a lot of sleep deprived people over there. :rolleyes:

I didn't realize that WDW's space mountain was one of the most thrilling rides on earth, right up there with Millenium Force and X2. It always seemed a little slow and bumpy to me. Now don't get me wrong, I'm glad that WDW has a unique space mountain layout and all that, but I think people are going a little overboard in trying to justify the scope of this refurb.

DDBB, haven't you heard of the old parents' saying for when kids refused to go to sleep? ".....with all the insomniacs in China..." so you may be right =P

I just realized something. We were "promised" on-board audio, but we don't think there is any because the track is still the same and does not show any signs of being able to hold the extra weight of cars with audio systems.
However, what if they took a TTA approach? There are no speakers on the cars, but the audio goes right along with the riders. Maybe this could be the case in SM, or maybe Disney decided to put speakers around the track and have just a "background" type of soundtrack play to enhance the experience.

One last thing, if I remember right, "refurbishment" for a ride, whether at Disney or any other park, usually means one of two things - the ride will be replaced, or it will be cleaned up. Mr Toad went through refurb, and now we have a steaming pile of Pooh (Not dissing the ride). Peter Pan went through refurb and it's still the same ride, just the queue was changed and the ride was cleaned.

Or they could've ruined the ride like JII.

I know this about Space Mountain though.
Next time I'm at Magic Kingdom, I'm running to SM :sohappy: and pushing anyone who gets in my way, out of the way. Including small children :drevil:

I'll enjoy the changes to the line, hope the trains have been given some love and cleaned up a little, and enjoy the ride, looking for anything new.
I really hope that the exit area will have been given some attention, because I've always thought it was out of place to go from great theming, to gray, gray, and more gray as you leave the rocket.

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:rolling towards an "un-ruined" Space Mountain, and looking for a future update to it when it is sure to make it better.

WDWGoof07

BINGO!!!

Defenders of Mediocrity. Where have I heard that before?

I am not excited by the fact that Disney removed asbestos, replaced a few sections of track, repainted, enclosed the queue, and generally did a rehab ... not anymore than I am by them paving over a theater for an exec parking lot ... or by a new planter ... or by new urinals ... or by them adding hours back into an operating schedule after they've cut so much.

It really gets old in a hurry.

Space MTN has been due for a total gutting and rebuilding since the mid-late 90s. Something truly worthy of Disney and the whole Space Mountain concept/mythos. And I'm supposed to be excited by ... by ... this?!?!

Sorry, I remember when Space opened and it was considered a WORLD CLASS ride/attraction. Now, it is only based on fanboi nostalgia ...

In the past 13 months, I've ridden versions in Anaheim, Hong Kong and Paris multiple times and they all are much superior. WDW has had a stale joke. Now, we'll have a clean, repainted, darker, asbestos free stale version.

Excuse my lack of fanboi drool.

It amuses me how excited everyone is getting over this modest refurb. I swear sometimes I feel the same way Cartman did in the "Elementary School Musical" episode from South Park: "Well, I'm out guys. If this is what's cool now, I think I'm done. I no longer have any connection to this world. I'm gonna go home and kill myself. Goodbye, friends."

To me you might as well get all excited over a new Lamp post. For #%#$^#$@ sake it's a new queue with video games and a new ceiling for the load area! How is that anywhere near as exciting as Disneyland Paris or Disneyland's Space Mountain? Disneyland's is smooth, has superior effects and also has on-board audio. Our ride is still basically the same piece of bumpy crap it has been for the last 15 years. I say 15 because that is about the time it was due for a real rehab before it became stale and old news.

This is exactly why TDO gets away so few new projects of any worth! People keep praising them for mediocrity.
This has nothing to do with people here defending mediocrity.

Space Mountain has always been a fan-favorite. Sure, the full-fledged revamp would have been better, and it's disappointing that we didn't get it. I don't think we should be wetting ourselves with excitement, but Disney has added some small enhancements and improved the experience on a ride we all love. The layout of our SM is relatively wild, and I'm curiously awaiting to find out how the darker ride enhances that. I'm also interested in the interactive queue enhancements. I'm sure others are the same way.

I'd be more excited if Disney went ahead with the full-scale revamp, but I'm still happy seeing a classic experience get plussed a little bit. I don't understand why this kind of thinking makes you a "defender of mediocrity" or a "fanboi".

TURKEY

Space Mountain has always been a fan-favorite. Sure, the full-fledged revamp would have been better, and it's disappointing that we didn't get it. I don't think we should be wetting ourselves with excitement, but Disney has added some small enhancements and improved the experience on a ride we all love. The layout of our SM is relatively wild, and I'm curiously awaiting to find out how the darker ride enhances that. I'm also interested in the interactive queue enhancements. I'm sure others are the same way.

I'd be more excited if Disney went ahead with the full-scale revamp, but I'm still happy seeing a classic experience get plussed a little bit. I don't understand why this kind of thinking makes you a "defender of mediocrity" or a "fanboi".

SM is a fan favorite because it's largely an original and it's a coaster in the dark and because Disney tells us to like it.

Imagine that SM was a brand new attraction (what Disney will likely be selling it to the public as). Would it really be that great? A coaster in the dark with no loops, no huge drops, that reaches what - 30 mph?

Exprcoofto

Saw these pictures from the 9th on MouseSteps, not sure if they were posted here.

DSC_8811.JPG
DSC_8826.JPG

DSC_8812.JPG
DSC_8827.JPG

The first set of pictures shows some animal (a robotic dog?) next to a new monitor, then the second set of pictures shows a space tent with two sleeping bags on the side. (that's why the new monitor says hover camping)

WDW1974

Look at all the posts, clearly a lot of folks are spending Veteran's Day on something worthwhile (Do I really need a sarcastic smiley?)

It's funny this thread is going full-throttle with plenty of the same management apologizing and fanboi fighting over which version of the ride is better when there's another thread going on with pretty much universal condemnation of TDO killing the Lights of Winter in a money-saving move at EPCOT.

The thing that both threads show is that way too many fans are only interested in how WDW operates as it affects them. If they don't like something or they don't experience it, then it's OK if Disney diminishes it. And, likewise, if they have some nostalgia vibe about an aspect of the parks then it supercedes Disney ever removing, replacing or changing it.

I firmly believe every version of Space Mtn that I have been on is vastly superior to WDW's.

But leave that out of the equation, there seems to be a debate on Space as a coaster and not an attraction.

BTMRR has been plussed over the years in small ways. And it has been rehabbed. But with its theme, plus the fact it has never fallen (at WDW anyway) into utter disrepair, it hasn't needed huge upgrades.

An attraction in Tomorrowland that opened as cutting edge in 1975 and is themed to space travel, well, it stands to reason (think about it) that it shouldn't be living in the past. ... I am not talking about cloning any prior track incarnations. I am not talking about adding sound. I am talking about making the experience cutting edge (in a Disney way) for the 21st century.

That's not happening here. It could have ... as many of us have written, but Disney opted to do the absolute least it could have ... and it seems to be working as fanbois are drooling over LIME SIGNAGE.

This isn't about WDW making Space some kind of mega coaster. This isn't about WDW making Space into any other existing version.

This was a chance to bring it into the 21st century and they went the cheapest way possible.

Some people didn't ride Space when it opened or in its first decade or two, so they don't recall that it was smooth and dark and didn't feel like a bad mad mouse in a giant semi-dark warehouse. Those folks seem to be the biggest proponents for just letting it sit, and they fundamentally miss the point. Tomorrowland was about endless possibilities for the future and cutting edge. Space Mtn worked for that for years. It doesn't any longer.
Unlike BTMRR, which is still a great attraction in its current state .. or JC as someone tossed in as well.

Fundamental difference here.

Oh, and as to some post I read about MK being the only WDW that requires two days to see, I'd strongly disagree. I get bored after about 4-5 hours there tops, unless I'm just hanging with friends. That's what staleness does. As to other guests, I still can't fathom how even a first-timer can't see and do everything in one well-planned day.

EPCOT, even in its watered down state, still can't all be done in one day. Not close.

Unless, of course, we're talking folks who simply are looking at rides (which I get a large portion of fanbois are). Some people enjoy shows, dining, and just soaking in the atmosphere.

But I do realize this will largely get lost in the OUR SPACE MOUNTAIN IS BETTER THAN YOURS fight. And I have no desire to get involved in that.

MadHatterJr

SM is a fan favorite because it's an original and it's a coaster in the dark and because Disney tells us to like it.

Imagine that SM was a brand new attraction (what Disney will likely be selling it to the public as). Would it really be that great? A coaster in the dark with no loops, no huge drops, that reaches what - 30 mph?

Yes, yes it would for me because Disney is more than just a quick thrill, it's about an experience, a environment, and a feeling I can only get from visiting their parks and escaping the world I normally live in. I prefer environment to "thrill" which is why Disney is my happy place rather than Universal. I would rather be sent through a "loop" by discovering an amazing detail of themeing that pays tribute to individuals and history of an attraction than an inversion. It a personal feeling, but it's my feeling none the less.

Jason the easy to please

djkidkaz

DUDE. SERIOUSLY.

I'm in the "LONGEST STRETCH WITHOUT VISITING WDW IN 15 YEARS".

Can you PLEASE read my post and comprehend it before launching accusing attacks my direction? Mkay. Thanks. :wave:

So you haven't been to WDW in quite some time obviously then, so my question still stands. If you haven't been going to the park, why are you criticizing what you haven't seen? And others have stated, if you don't like what your seeing, why do you go back and give them your money? I just don't understand how people say they love a place, yet they complain about it. If you like the other parks better, why are you not on a forum for those parks? I also go to Six Flags, but I like WDW better. I don't go to Six Flags forums and complain to the users over there about how the park is sub par and run by idiots. I think it would be rude to do so, as those people are going to be fans of Six Flags and thats why they are there.

WDW1974

It has everything to do with it.

WDI had some amazing concepts for relaunching Space Mountain for a 21st century audience. Instead, it went with a concept for a WalMarted audience.

There's no substance to this 'redo' ... it's a very basic thing. I don't get excited by paint and signage and returning it to a darkened state (it's been so bright inside that you could practically read a book on the ride!)

Getting psyched over this is only slightly better than being excited by a new planter or new toilets.

It's all crap to me.

TURKEY

It has everything to do with it.

WDI had some amazing concepts for relaunching Space Mountain for a 21st century audience. Instead, it went with a concept for a WalMarted audience.

There's no substance to this 'redo' ... it's a very basic thing. I don't get excited by paint and signage and returning it to a darkened state (it's been so bright inside that you could practically read a book on the ride!)

Getting psyched over this is only slightly better than being excited by a new planter or new toilets.

It's all crap to me.

You're wrong.

It is targeted to a 21st century audience. There are now Disney video games in the queue instead of having to play the DS or whatever else the kids have these days. :rolleyes::p:wave:

Oh, you meant the ride portion. Not sure about that.

MadHatterJr

Lots of people have alot of amazing ideas that sometimes never pan out. Maybe things will happen in the future, maybe not. At least they are still thinking about it rather then being completely complacent. As far as being happy about toilets and planters, the little details like that can help sell an idea or environment. When i was a kid the "auto flush" toilets at Disney were amazing to me. Stupid thought, but i still associate that with something from the parks.

Jason feels the need to ______ in disney now....

djkidkaz

Look at all the posts, clearly a lot of folks are spending Veteran's Day on something worthwhile (Do I really need a sarcastic smiley?)

It's funny this thread is going full-throttle with plenty of the same management apologizing and fanboi fighting over which version of the ride is better when there's another thread going on with pretty much universal condemnation of TDO killing the Lights of Winter in a money-saving move at EPCOT.

The thing that both threads show is that way too many fans are only interested in how WDW operates as it affects them. If they don't like something or they don't experience it, then it's OK if Disney diminishes it. And, likewise, if they have some nostalgia vibe about an aspect of the parks then it supercedes Disney ever removing, replacing or changing it.

I firmly believe every version of Space Mtn that I have been on is vastly superior to WDW's.

But leave that out of the equation, there seems to be a debate on Space as a coaster and not an attraction.

BTMRR has been plussed over the years in small ways. And it has been rehabbed. But with its theme, plus the fact it has never fallen (at WDW anyway) into utter disrepair, it hasn't needed huge upgrades.

An attraction in Tomorrowland that opened as cutting edge in 1975 and is themed to space travel, well, it stands to reason (think about it) that it shouldn't be living in the past. ... I am not talking about cloning any prior track incarnations. I am not talking about adding sound. I am talking about making the experience cutting edge (in a Disney way) for the 21st century.

That's not happening here. It could have ... as many of us have written, but Disney opted to do the absolute least it could have ... and it seems to be working as fanbois are drooling over LIME SIGNAGE.

This isn't about WDW making Space some kind of mega coaster. This isn't about WDW making Space into any other existing version.

This was a chance to bring it into the 21st century and they went the cheapest way possible.

Some people didn't ride Space when it opened or in its first decade or two, so they don't recall that it was smooth and dark and didn't feel like a bad mad mouse in a giant semi-dark warehouse. Those folks seem to be the biggest proponents for just letting it sit, and they fundamentally miss the point. Tomorrowland was about endless possibilities for the future and cutting edge. Space Mtn worked for that for years. It doesn't any longer.
Unlike BTMRR, which is still a great attraction in its current state .. or JC as someone tossed in as well.

Fundamental difference here.

Oh, and as to some post I read about MK being the only WDW that requires two days to see, I'd strongly disagree. I get bored after about 4-5 hours there tops, unless I'm just hanging with friends. That's what staleness does. As to other guests, I still can't fathom how even a first-timer can't see and do everything in one well-planned day.

EPCOT, even in its watered down state, still can't all be done in one day. Not close.

Unless, of course, we're talking folks who simply are looking at rides (which I get a large portion of fanbois are). Some people enjoy shows, dining, and just soaking in the atmosphere.

But I do realize this will largely get lost in the OUR SPACE MOUNTAIN IS BETTER THAN YOURS fight. And I have no desire to get involved in that.

Tomorrowland WAS about that, back then, before Epcot. The theme for Tomorrowland now is sci-fi, not the real future. A big part of sci-fi is the old nostalgia factor of it. The old crappy special effects of the movies, etc. I'd liken it to Star Wars. Its old and outdated as far as effects go, but people want it that way. Nobody likes that Lucas went back in and edited stuff in the film to bring it into the 21st century of special effects.

I think people need to make up their mind. I see the same people who want Epcot to go back to Epcot Center complaining about Space Mountain not being changed. Do you want the past or the future?

MadHatterJr

Tomorrowland WAS about that, back then, before Epcot. The theme for Tomorrowland now is sci-fi, not the real future. A big part of sci-fi is the old nostalgia factor of it. The old crappy special effects of the movies, etc. I'd liken it to Star Wars. Its old and outdated as far as effects go, but people want it that way. Nobody likes that Lucas went back in and edited stuff in the film to bring it into the 21st century of special effects.

I think people need to make up their mind. I see the same people who want Epcot to go back to Epcot Center complaining about Space Mountain not being changed. Do you want the past or the future?

The future with nods to the past is always nice.... kinda like horizons did, or even delta dream flight to an extent.

Jason is ready for the fantasy flight of his life

djkidkaz

Can anyone explain in factual detail just what these concepts were? Evidence?

Of course not. :rolleyes: The "insiders" just like to point to eachother and say "well there were numerous accounts all over the board!" Really, Lee said it, then Martin agreed and WDW1974 agreed? Yay, it must be true!! :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom