Cindy's Castle turning brown!

SGT623

I can't understand the criticism of this latest paint job. It looks wonderful (at least from the pictures). It strikes me that those who are critical of this are just looking for things to complain about.

And just because you don't understand others opinions it does not mean that they are just complaining.

AdLibSean

Hey if you look at wdws new paint and then again at tokyos you will notice that tokyo has a wash of color near edges and such to add depth WDW doesnt have this yet. WDW's castle has gone thru 3 color scheme adjustments all in different shades of grey from 71 till now, let WDI do what they do then decide on the finished product. As long as its not a pink cake or pink castle were good. Look at Sleeping beautys castle in CA it was so faded and gross and now its a beatiful gem. Give it a chance

Yes, the castle in DL is beautiful now, but they didn't change it to a completely opposite color. Gray to a tan or brown or beige HOWEVER it turns out is a pretty big jump to me. And what happened to using warmer colors in the cold environments and cooler ones for the hot environments... ie Florida?
Oh well, I still don't care for it but I'll reserve full judgement when the project's completed.

wedenterprises

I would agree with both of your statements (not including the first sentence which was very egotistical and supercilious).

I know, but it's true. I didn't mean to come off as egotistical and only my girlfriend calls me superlicious...oh wait, i get it...:drevil: superCILious hehe.

1) Yes, the gold trim against the brown does bring out the architectual details but it seems to do it in a too highly contrasting way. The gold against the brown is not, in my opinion, attractive at all and diverges from the sleek, flowing style of the castle.

Yes, the contrast is high, it has to be, especially with edges (like the top edge of the castle wall) otherwise the details seem muddied. The gold against the brown doesn't seem "attractive" but I think it is effective. Don't forget, these decisions aren't random, they are based on light quality in the area and the surroundings. What works in Tokyo might not work in Florida. I suspect that Florida will get something more pinkish than brown.

2) Sure, the castle does look more realistic in a sense...or does it? The WDW castle has a very gothic/renaissance style to it, rather than medieval. Medieval castles are frequently associated with brown stone while gothic/renaissance castles are typically associated with gray or very light brown stone. Plus, this is fantasyland, not historically-acurate land.

I should have been more clear, sorry. By realistic, I don't mean accurate. Main street isn't accurate or realistic, but it has an amazing hyperrealism all it's own. A more detailed colouring of the castle makes it more believable, let's say. The all grey right now looks ok, but to me it looks very 70's and makes the castle look like a plastic toy, not where someone might actually live.

In my opinion the castle could use a small "sprucing-up," but a complete brown overhall would not be in my favor. The castle as it is now has become an icon for WDW and I think a brown castle would ruin the fantasy/flawless appeal.

I do disagree, the casle is an icon, but this type of colour detail makes it more fantastic and magical and less fake and static.
I don't see many (or any) [castles] that [have] contrasting colors like TDL's castle. I don't see any with gold accents. I'm wondering how these colors make it more "realistic" because judging by the castles CC is based on, the original color scheme is much more realistic. And furthermore, how real should a castle in Fantasyland be?

Again, realistic does not mean accurate. I am aware of the influences on the design of the castle and know what real castles look like, but they all look different from each other and Cinderella's Castle should be no different. I've always felt that the stark grey does nothing to help the look of the castle, the grey does not bring out any of it's wonderful features. much like makeup on a human face, a new colourizing would help accentuate it's beautiful details.
And just another thing I don't like about TDL's castle is that the turret "shingles" are too shiny and plastic-like. Just my opinion though.

this, i agree with, but i'll wait to see what the finished product looks like. this paint does fade quickly though i think.

DarkMeasures

I would post an opinion, but I take art theory next year. But after then I have final say on any color scheme because I will actually know what works and does not.

Ralph303

The castle is the HUB

The castle is the HUB of Walt Disney World. Without the castle there would be no WDW. Its crucial that the castle is always looking its best.

malice

pics from mouseplanet.com:

MK_crane_looming_over_castle_warneke.jpg

MK_crane_behind_castle_warneke.jpg

MK_workmen_painting_castle_warneke.jpg

GymLeaderPhil

To be honest, it resembles more of Disneyland's scheme of colors. When I read brown I think Frontierland Brown, this more like off-white/light pink.

Montu

Ya didn't they normally do stuff like this during the night before?

Think logically here - do they also normally paint *the entire castle* that often?

This is a simple thing here. So they're painting. So what? Big deal. Will that ruin your time in the park? Will it ruin your vacation? Will it make Splash Mountain less fun? Will it hurt your experience on the Haunted Mansion?

I'm not directing this at you Test Track, just saying in general, people complain that they're painting during park hours - and they're the same people that would complain about how long it's taking to get done had they opted to paint only after hours.

Beyond the pure and simple fact that a 180 foot tall building cannot be painted in one day. Seeing someone painting it during the day is *absolutely no different* than walking in the park and seeing it sitting there half painted.

TestTrack

Think logically here - do they also normally paint *the entire castle* that often?

This is a simple thing here. So they're painting. So what? Big deal. Will that ruin your time in the park? Will it ruin your vacation? Will it make Splash Mountain less fun? Will it hurt your experience on the Haunted Mansion?

I'm not directing this at you Test Track, just saying in general, people complain that they're painting during park hours - and they're the same people that would complain about how long it's taking to get done had they opted to paint only after hours.

Beyond the pure and simple fact that a 180 foot tall building cannot be painted in one day. Seeing someone painting it during the day is *absolutely no different* than walking in the park and seeing it sitting there half painted.

Well I just watched videos where they talked about the xmas decorations and how they are always done only at night so no one sees it...I don't know how true that is. But it is just one of the things that disney always did differently...they rarely let you see what you would see at any other park.

That said...I don't care that much...unless I really wanted a picture of the castle when I was there! :lookaroun

GymLeaderPhil

I think the work on the castle would take too long to finish if it occured only during the evening. Plus I'm sure that it would interfere with opening of the suite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom