News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

MagicHappens1971

What's the rumor for Lion King in Paris? Hadn't heard anything about that but would love to see both the IP and that park get some love.
I don’t know much about the attraction itself but I know that they plan to bring Lion King to DLP.
Latest rumor over in California is that a Shanghai Pirates ride technology will be the E-ticket attraction anchoring the new Avatar land in California Adventure. There has been much debate as to whether cloning that back to WDW or trying to bring a clone of Flight of Passage to California is a terrible mistake.
I could see them bringing that to DCA, I don’t see them adding another “E-ticket” to Pandora though.

LSLS

This should make those really skeptical feel a little better.
As a person who has said he doesn't have excitement because I've entered a "Prove it" phase with Disney, it doesn't. If Rhode had full control, maybe it would. But I'm not convinced they aren't going to fight him to pinch every penny they can, and that there won't be mandates about certain things must be in. Again, they need to prove to me this will work and integrate, I do not have a belief in Disney's ability to theme right now (and point to any examples you want, again, just my feelings right now).

TheIceBaron

As a person who has said he doesn't have excitement because I've entered a "Prove it" phase with Disney, it doesn't. If Rhode had full control, maybe it would. But I'm not convinced they aren't going to fight him to pinch every penny they can, and that there won't be mandates about certain things must be in. Again, they need to prove to me this will work and integrate, I do not have a belief in Disney's ability to theme right now (and point to any examples you want, again, just my feelings right now).

I’m a skeptic as well but they have done many things (even in the past month or so) that are encouraging. My feeling is they are listening.

From one skeptic to another I think we should at least wait and see how this D23 shakes out. Who knows, they may be very close to moving dirt around.

LSLS

I’m a skeptic as well but they have done many things (even in the past month or so) that are encouraging. My feeling is they are listening.

From one skeptic to another I think we should at least wait and see how this D23 shakes out. Who knows, they may be very close to moving dirt around.
Let me be clear, I'm not saying it's terrible yet, just that they don't have my faith that it's definitely going to fit and be great (truthfully, I'd lean the other ways, but again, I'm not going to say that is the case until I see things). Likewise, too many times I've seen cuts after announcements, so I'm not going to hype up for a big presentation on a new land either. Like I said, benefit is gone from me. There have been some things that were a positive, but a lot of bad things as well (including recent announcements). So even Rhode coming back to design it doesn't really make me feel better about it.

yensidtlaw1969

What's the rumor for Lion King in Paris? Hadn't heard anything about that but would love to see both the IP and that park get some love.

Latest rumor over in California is that a Shanghai Pirates ride technology will be the E-ticket attraction anchoring the new Avatar land in California Adventure. There has been much debate as to whether cloning that back to WDW or trying to bring a clone of Flight of Passage to California is a terrible mistake.
Flight of Passage isn't coming to DCA. Unless something major changes.

MistaDee

Flight of Passage isn't coming to DCA. Unless something major changes.

Very good news, it would be an awkward fit in the same park as the original Soarin'. I'm hopeful they continue to keep at least some major attractions exclusive between the US parks.

Shanghai boat tech bringing Lion King to AK and Avatar to DCA (despite awkward thematic fit) would be two solid IP for parks that could both use that classic water-based dark ride.

I don’t know much about the attraction itself but I know that they plan to bring Lion King to DLP.

I could see them bringing that to DCA, I don’t see them adding another “E-ticket” to Pandora though.

Does the expansion pad in AK's Pandora not have room for a major ride? I don't have a good sense

MagicHappens1971

Does the expansion pad in AK's Pandora not have room for a major ride? I don't have a good sense
I’m not sure. I more meant from a logistical standpoint it doesn’t really make sense to add another E-ticket to a land that already has one. There are other parts of the park that could benefit.

mickEblu

Very good news, it would be an awkward fit in the same park as the original Soarin'. I'm hopeful they continue to keep at least some major attractions exclusive between the US parks.

Shanghai boat tech bringing Lion King to AK and Avatar to DCA (despite awkward thematic fit) would be two solid IP for parks that could both use that classic water-based dark ride.

A boat ride seems like a wrong fit for Lion King. If the park didn't already have Dinosaur/Indy I'd say a tamer version of that ride system would be ideal.

EricsBiscuit

Pandora was going to have a bike coaster similar to tron that was cut.

KDM31091

No matter how people including Disney try and justify it, just because Encanto (briefly) features a character talking to animals, that doesn’t make it an animal themed movie. It has nothing to do with conservation or animals in general. It is not a main plot point in the movie. It just doesn’t fit. Whether it’s popular or not is irrelevant. We should hold Disney to standards that they created. New attractions should reasonably make sense in the park they’re being placed in.

britain

No matter how people including Disney try and justify it, just because Encanto (briefly) features a character talking to animals, that doesn’t make it an animal themed movie. It has nothing to do with conservation or animals in general. It is not a main plot point in the movie. It just doesn’t fit. Whether it’s popular or not is irrelevant. We should hold Disney to standards that they created. New attractions should reasonably make sense in the park they’re being placed in.

Yes, that’s why I said if it’s just a book report attraction then it wouldn’t fit. It would need to be a new, animal-centric story that happens in the house.

Let’s think of it another way: What if they built “Mickey’s Magical House” in AK, a place that used to belong to a sorcerer where the Fab Five vacation when in Latin America. And Goofy accidentally lets all the animals out of the magical menagerie room. We now have to go on a wild trip through the house finding all the animals in humorous “Jungle Cruise-esque” vignettes in each room. Monkeys in the kitchen! Leopards in the bathtub! Mickey uses magic to round them all up and save the day.

This isn’t a particularly great idea, but it’s one that would work in AK.

Now just drop the bias against popular IP, replace Mickey & Co with the Madrigal Family, and all is well.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
A boat ride seems like a wrong fit for Lion King. If the park didn't already have Dinosaur/Indy I'd say a tamer version of that ride system would be ideal.

As much as I hate the trend to trackless ride vehicles, I think a trackless option is the best fit for Lion King IMHO... something along the line of what was done with BatB at TDL where multiple vehicles spend several minutes in each room with each room being a separate song... meandering a room during the course of a song seeing multiple little scenes related to the song I feel would work really well for songs like "Just Can't Wait to Be King" and "Be Prepared", then a "speed tunnel" type approach for the stampede to make it feel like you're right in the middle of the action.

britain

As much as I hate the trend to trackless ride vehicles, I think a trackless option is the best fit for Lion King IMHO... something along the line of what was done with BatB at TDL where multiple vehicles spend several minutes in each room with each room being a separate song... meandering a room during the course of a song seeing multiple little scenes related to the song I feel would work really well for songs like "Just Can't Wait to Be King" and "Be Prepared", then a "speed tunnel" type approach for the stampede to make it feel like you're right in the middle of the action.

A Lion King ride sort of has to be book report retelling. The characters are too archetypal to satisfyingly go on “another adventure” and do things like open a co-op, etc.

Bocabear

I personally think Festival Of The Lion King is enough of that franchise in the park... Perhaps a flume based ride themed to something African...a better version of Kali River Rapids... Maybe the flume ride could be a river adventure through the Pridelands...but I think a dark ride book report Lion King done with trackless cars lumbering through musical scenes is a wrong fit for the park....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom