News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

osian

I definitely agree with this. When Dinosaur was built, it was designed to be a “modern” attraction, with modern being by 90’s standards. Obviously we’re not in the 90’s anymore, so the attraction feels like something ripped out from that era and not a modern 2020’s museum. Even if they were to modernize Dinosaur to fit today’s standards, it’s just going to cause a Tomorrowland problem, and guests in 2046 will just be saying “ew this attraction feels too 2020’s.”

An Indiana Jones retheme would work better because the fact it’s themed to an ancient temple that’s intentionally made to look incredibly old will make the attraction a lot more timeless, and will require far less renovations in the long run. It’s a win for us guests, and it’s a win for Disney

So buidling attractions that are based in the past is the way to go? Sort of goes against the concept of recent Disney movie IP. Also, aren't dinosaurs about as far back as you can go? Why would an IJ ride built to modern standards but made to look old not age as much as a dinosaur ride built to modern standards but made to look old? You're making the classic mistake in thinking that to renovate an attraction it has to change theme.

Andrew25

I don’t think Disney will spread the costs of this project out. They can work quickly when they choose to. This could open Spring 2026 if they hustle
Not sure about Spring, but late 2026 is more than plausible for this project. I know Disney is slow, but if Universal can build projects at a faster pace, Disney can too.

Transformers, was built in less than a year at UOR. Now that Disney has gone over the hump of Disney+ burning cash, I'd imagine things will loosen up for the parks division to go crazy fast.

Bob returned in Nov 2022, I'd imagine he's had a full year now to implore the parks to consider expansions and get things moving.

Skibum1970

Not sure about Spring, but late 2026 is more than plausible for this project. I know Disney is slow, but if Universal can build projects at a faster pace, Disney can too.

Transformers, was built in less than a year at UOR. Now that Disney has gone over the hump of Disney+ burning cash, I'd imagine things will loosen up for the parks division to go crazy fast.

Bob returned in Nov 2022, I'd imagine he's had a full year now to implore the parks to consider expansions and get things moving.

Probably depends completely on where they are on developing the concept. If they don't have the concept fully developed, they cannot start construction (a guess not knowledgable). @lazyboy97o is much more well-versed on this than I ever will be.

celluloid

I don't know. Bob from 2008 to 20019 proves he does not really have that kind of mentality for the parks.

zann285

Was that confirmed anywhere?

Also see from the thread "Bruce Vaughn Returns to Disney as Co-Lead of Walt Disney Imagineering", which was prompted by @JustInTime and confirmed by @yensidtlaw1969

Joe's currently back as a consultant. It's a very recent development.

Not sure if his role will expand beyond that.

lazyboy97o

Probably depends completely on where they are on developing the concept. If they don't have the concept fully developed, they cannot start construction (a guess not knowledgable). @lazyboy97o is much more well-versed on this than I ever will be.
Construction can start while design is still ongoing. It’s something that Disney often does and distorts the arguments about how long projects take.

Disstevefan1

Dinosaur is definitely not what I would consider "unpopular". It is typically not a rope dropped attraction and often has a short wait for a couple hours in the morning. But midday it is often at 30-45+ minutes and longer during peak times. It's not like it does not attract any guests, by far.
Ageree, we loved Dino. The good news is Indy will use the same ride system so it should still be a fun reskinned attraction.

IF they ever get it done.

Brer Oswald

They have also proven they can move fast when they want to. The ride system for Indy is in place, but I expect it to be more complicated than FEA and TBA.

Tron, Guardians, Remy's and Epcot spine were dreadful, but there were some outside factors for some of it (Covid, Reedy Creek, Fox acquisition, etc).

And you can't blame Cake Bake Shop which should have the 2025 signs soon.
I wouldn’t expect it to be more complicated than FEA, unless they extend the track.

SplashJacket

Was just about to say this. If dinosaur is operating with any wait at all, which it is, then it is already maximizing its capacity.
Technically true, but generally, if a ride is at a small wait, there’s very little incentive to increase throughput (single riders, faster operations, etc), and if there’s no wait, there’s room to decrease labor/vehicle counts to reduce maintenance costs while aligning with the demanded capacity.

So even if Dinosaur is at a 10 minute wait, while technically (since there’s any wait at all) its capacity is being fully utilized, in reality, it’s throughput could likely achieve a lot more if it was receiving a capacity push (as is common for the most demanded attractions).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You mean neck-and-neck between Disneyland's TWO parks and Walt Disney World's FOUR?

If DL adds a third park to the mix over there, I have no idea how WDW would ever manage to keep up!
Are you talking *attractions* or its subset: *rides*?

When it comes to rides, they're equal (give or take temporary closures or rethemes).

When it comes to attractions, WDW has a heck of a lot more.

But some people don't count shows, or zoos, or national pavilions, or films; they only care if the attraction moves them somehow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom