News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

WorldExplorer

It's certainly better to try and have connective tissue than the "here's some countries" approach of Harmonious, but I really wish it didn't follow Happily Ever After so closely. "Here's the family part, the friendship part, the love part, the adversity part, now things are triumphant again!" sandwiched between the original music.

(With mostly the same songs.)

Is that just going to be the thing now? All the shows do that? They tried to copy it for Enchantment, too. Aside from just being more of the same, it gives an obvious "well...that other show was better..." comparison to make.

Should we be happy they didn't try and force in something similar to Fantasmic? Should we make bets now on if it'll show up if Animal Kingdom ever gets another nighttime show?

Last edited:

Brian

It's certainly better to try and have connective tissue than the "here's some countries" approach of Harmonious, but I really wish it didn't follow Happily Ever After so closely. "Here's the family part, the friendship part, the love part, the adversity part, now things are triumphant again!" sandwiched between the original music.

(With mostly the same songs.)

Is that just going to be the thing now? All the shows do that? They tried to copy it for Enchantment, too. Aside from just being more of the same, it gives an obvious "well...that was better..." comparison to make.

Should we be happy they didn't try and force in something similar to Fantasmic? Should we make bets now on if it'll show up if Animal Kingdom ever gets another nighttime show?
That is the formula, more or less. However, like it or not, it works for the average WDW guest. It's a simple formula, in some ways mimicking how classic Disney films progress, and is generally well received.

Whether or not the creative teams have the courage to break away from it, and the support of the executives to do so, remains to be seen.

Earlie the Pearlie

I'm firmly in the "I liked it and it could be better but for what Disney does nowadays this was amazing" camp. Does the IP feel shoehorned in? Yes. It does. Does the show use the IP as a crutch for being terrible, like some simulators do? I don't think so. All in all, I'm happy with this. It's the best we're gonna get for now, and anything that builds good infrastructure instead of destroying it is good with me.

Incomudro

Just watched a video of the show earlier this morning.
I liked it very much.
This one moved me emotionally without me being there.
Certainly miles ahead of Harmonious, which I got to see on our last stay and didn't care for at all.
I've said in the past what a dreadful mistake it was to put those barges in the water.
I'm not one to nit pick a performance point by point, it's not how I view things - but the only thing I would say (and agree with some others here) is that the narration could be trimmed.
We don't need everything explained to us.
The introduction to the point is enough, but some of the explanation is unnecessary.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

So does every pavilion in the World Showcase. No matter where you stand, a bit of the show is happening behind you since everything that rings the lagoon is involved a bit. The activity on Spaceship Earth just fills the gap in the ring.
I get that I’m just curious now if the entrance and future world has its own version of the show now utilizing the lighting since it doesn’t have those WS elements. Back then SSE went dark and the show audio didn’t play there.

jrhwdw

Yes I believe so. This is so new, and I believe there is still testing and finishing underway.
What is there left to test? The only thing that "might " need further testing is IDK if Every Prim. lined up with the Countries for the Welcome last night. Case in point, the Showcase Plaza Launch fired for Mexico instead of Mexico"s?

Last edited:

EPCOTCenterLover

As someone who really loved Old EPCOT Center and its nighttime show, I think this is great with one exception. I'm tired of Toy Story in everything, so wish they'd change out the When She Loved Me song. Loved the inclusion of the other songs, the fountains, the fireworks and the overall theme and execution.

MUCH better than Harmonious.

One question- Is that Michelle Yeoh doing the narration?

James Alucobond

As someone who really loved Old EPCOT Center and its nighttime show, I think this is great with one exception. I'm tired of Toy Story in everything, so wish they'd change out the When She Loved Me song. Loved the inclusion of the other songs, the fountains, the fireworks and the overall theme and execution.

MUCH better than Harmonious.

One question- Is that Michelle Yeoh doing the narration?
As far as song selection goes, the lack of Dos Oruguitas here continues to be baffling. It fits in with the language mixing and ties into everything pretty well thematically—the world always turning, growing together but flying apart as we get older, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom