News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

WorldExplorer

Anyone else feel everyone around them kinda shift when the recognizable music started? Like "oh..."

Anyway, I'm going to go with a middle of the road rating.

That opening was absolutely great!

When You'll Be in My Heart started it definitely felt a little jarring but I thought it worked well enough (it helps that I love Tarzan's music).

As it went on I just kept finding the songs weird. I have a hard time really saying why, maybe because I just associate them so closely with other nighttime shows and scenarios at this point (leading with "...becomes play!" seemed like an odd idea for Toy Story. Maybe I'm an idiot but it made it seem like they chose it for a pun and not for friendship ). I See the Light seemed like the best one, I guess because the lyrics seemed to logically not just match what they said (e.g. love = Can You Feel the Love Tonight), but actually flow with the kind of story line they wanted (things were bad for a while but now they're looking up).

My least favorite part was When She Loved Me. I felt like that was leaning entirely on you already having an emotional connection to the song. It was just an abrupt shift into a sad part; any emotional reaction I feel is only fair to attribute to the writers of Toy Story 2, not the creators of this show, who did nothing to earn a reaction. On top of that, I couldn't bring myself to think of the general losses or goodbyes of life because...that song is about Jessie and it's hard to separate it from that. The other ones at least you can say they cut out the specific lyrics, but that song describes a very specific relationship. They'd already lost me on the section by the time Remember Me started.

Then by the time we got to the end it just felt like I had watched a different show sandwiched between two bits of another show.

(And of course I wasn't really expecting nothing already present in other nighttime shows but wow, almost all of them are major parts of another show/were just in Harmonious.)

I will give it the highest praise I possibly can by saying I will be willing to see it again with my dad, who loves old Epcot. I don't think it was outright bad. But I don't really think I liked it.

Outside of the opening. Dear God I loved that opening.

A couple more thoughts:

1. I wish they blended more songs. That probably would have helped it seem more like universal experiences instead of keeping me thinking about the context for this specific song.

2. Did I miss it or did the language changing thing disappear quickly? Or at least it didn't get used as much as I thought.

Edit: Clarified a couple things, added a little.

Last edited:

Squishy

No flames, wonder if they got cut right after DL did a unscheduled demolition considering they have flames as a layout & sequence in their program..

flynnibus

Premium Member
Walt Disney World has shared a new behind-the-scenes video of Luminous: The Symphony of Us.

giphy.gif

aladdin2007

They had this great score theme at the beginning and opening which lasted only like what 30 seconds? and that was it, they never used it again in the show.....I just....:banghead:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom