News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

OSUPhantom

Overall, it is an improvement from Harmonious. No question there.

It seems like it would have benefited from a few more minutes of showtime to ramp up the energetic parts and slow down the sad sections. The pacing just felt herky-jerk in spots.
I can agree with this, the pace was a little fast at times

heapster411

I don't know. After Illuminations, in my opinion, they seem to not really reach the bar. To keep this for 25+ years, No ! To me Illuminations was the spectacle that I have to judge the others on. The music , effects and fireworks presentation WAS Epcot! Next week when I see it in person, maybe my opinion "might" change, But I kind of doubt it. Time will tell.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I will definitely be spending multiple evenings in Epcot on my upcoming trip, something I haven’t done since October 2019. I’m not ready to say it’s “the greatest show ever”based off a LQ stream but, considering the garbage that’s been performing nightly for the last four years, this is a triumphant return to form for Epcot nighttime shows.

wutisgood

LMAO dude on the stream telling these people he hates the shopping videos. I feel it. I think these people do merch videos because there are a significant portion of people who come from other countries that subsidize trips by reselling.

jrhwdw

Bursting light through firework smoke to use the smoke like a canvas is pretty clever.

They also used Spaceship Earth a few times, most notably in Here Comes the Light where they projected a floating effect on to SSE. It was well done and made me think it's not done enough. I think watching from American Adventure side of WS with a distant SSE view might be best.
Would be interesting to see if L:SOU's Audio plays in World Celebration.

I'm not super excited for IP in WSL, but Luminous handled IP way better than Harm!!!!

TheMaxRebo

It’s leaps and bounds better than Harmonius. I loved the fireworks from the central barge - great effect.

I could live with cutting “friend like Me” as I didn’t feel it fit. Other than that I felt like it was a home run. I liked the homage to Illuminations by using SSE as the globe in the background.

I thought the You Got a Friend in Me/Friend like Me was weakest part - felt shoved in there and doesn't fit Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'll be seeing it in person tomorrow. Initial thoughts from the live feeds:

1. Thank god for no gimmicky music. No slide whistles. Nothing cutesy. No sound effects (other than the pyro). That's all good. No trio of divas trying to out-scat one another at full belt.

2. The music was all orchestrated coherently. You had different 'movements' like in a classical concert. But they all fit. Another good thing.

3. But maybe too much fitting together. It almost seemed like one long song. It could have used one show-stopper of pure exultant joy that would have made people want to sing/clap/dance along. That would normally have been the role of the closing song, but, it was going for a more understated message of hope in solemn grandeur. Which is fine... but still needed a show-stopper.

4. Too much narration. Especially in telling us how to feel. HEA did it much better with a character, at the beginning of each movement, say one line from their IP (e.g., Olaf's "Some people are worth melting for.")

5. Overall, it's a show I think I'd watch over and over again. Harm and EF and DE were one and done... with an eye roll.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
4. Too much narration. Especially in telling us how to feel. HEA did it much better with a character, at the beginning of each movement, say one line from their IP (e.g., Olaf's "Some people are worth melting for.")
This is my only major complaint. Let the show’s emotions speak for themselves. They’ve already got a great, strong, soundtrack that is powerful enough to move the audience on its own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom