Trip Report I Did Something Bad... *Completed*

Hello everyone! My, it has been a long time... You'll have to forgive me, but school is currently eradicating every last drop of happiness and cheer from my soul! To remedy that, I have.... I have come up with a plan that may be insane. Don't worry, I haven't purchased anything non-refundable yet... So far, no one's been able to come up with a compelling argument for me NOT to do this...

Picture this... October 5th and 6th, I have a random "fall break". It seems perfectly placed. A microbiology exam that Tuesday, and then NOTHING until a physiology exam the following Friday... What am I supposed to do with those 2 free days? "Oh, you should study," you say... Dear reader... I fear if I studied those 2 days I may go insane. How about... How about...

Getting on a red eye flight out of Pittsburgh that would involve me leaving for the airport at 3:30am (you cringed, I felt it), arriving in Orlando early Thursday morning, probably conking out in my swanky All Star room for a couple of hours (should Bob Iger allow my room to be ready), and then going to the Halloween party that night? And then... and then getting on a flight back to Pittsburgh the following afternoon?

That's the bare bones of the plan. I've already booked the room (because it's REFUNDABLE and I can CANCEL okay and it SPARKED JOY) and I'm holding off on flight (it's under $100 but it's Spirit and I think you have to sign a waiver saying you are willing and able to pilot the plane when you fly with them) and event tickets until I check with my professor that this fall break is actually legitimate and not a lie (we had class on the 4th of July when no one else did so I've been burned before).

In other news, I saw Taylor Swift in June which was life changing! But now I need something new to look forward to...

Thinking Patrick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Too insane? You tell me.

tonystark

Original Poster
Are you studying to be a Pharm or Doctor.? Also, I heard a rumor that Taylor Swift may be recording a duet with Shania Twain (but you probably dont know who that is. Boy, I feel so old.
I fortunately do know who Shania Twain is (I'm not THAT young). And I'm studying to be a pathologists' assistant! Sort of like a physicians assistant but specifically for pathology. Anything removed surgically from someone will come to me. It's a lot of work but it sure is fascinating.

Eric Graham

I fortunately do know who Shania Twain is (I'm not THAT young). And I'm studying to be a pathologists' assistant! Sort of like a physicians assistant but specifically for pathology. Anything removed surgically from someone will come to me. It's a lot of work but it sure is fascinating.
That does sound like pretty rewarding work At my wife's orthopedist office, PA's make pretty good money also. One of my cousins is an ER Doctor at a hospital.

tonystark

Original Poster
The good news: I'm going to Disney World next week.
The great news: My boyfriend and I decided to get a hotel by Pittsburgh Airport so we only have to wake up at 4 am instead of probably 2-3am to get there on time teehee.
The bad news: I just found out we get our clinical rotation schedule NEXT WEDNESDAY and I'm worried that my anxiety over it (finding 8 different places to live is going to be so much fun!!!!) is going to overshadow the trip.
The awful news: I have 2 exams standing between me and Haunted Mansion.

Laurenciaa

The good news: I'm going to Disney World next week.
The great news: My boyfriend and I decided to get a hotel by Pittsburgh Airport so we only have to wake up at 4 am instead of probably 2-3am to get there on time teehee.
The bad news: I just found out we get our clinical rotation schedule NEXT WEDNESDAY and I'm worried that my anxiety over it (finding 8 different places to live is going to be so much fun!!!!) is going to overshadow the trip.
The awful news: I have 2 exams standing between me and Haunted Mansion.
Again, WDW will be your motivation to kick assssssss all the exams! GOOD LUCK!

tonystark

Original Poster
WELL FOLKS... that was one of my more bananas ideas... All shall be revealed in due time (tomorrow) but tonight, I have to write an assignment I've been neglecting for this trip 😳
All around a great time. But my GOD. The people lining up at 3 pm to get into the Halloween party!!! Absolute madness.

("But," you say, "why were YOU there at 3pm?" A valid question... all shall be revealed... teehee)
(also Spirit is garbage)

tonystark

Original Poster
Our story begins...
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 4TH
at a reasonable hour.

Having just sat through a long day of classes and my clinical rotation orientation, I was not in the mood to pack. Not in the mood to pack one bit. The night before, I had set out some things on the floor (ingenious) because I intended to use my school backpack as my personal item as I — despite being the pilot for the flight — was not allowed a carry on unless I was willing to pay 99$ each way. Not happening.

On my walk back from school, I texted my boyfriend, R (there are a LOT of R significant others on this website!!) and told him I was finished for the day if he wanted to come hang out while I packed. I had warned him (several times) that traveling makes me anxious (and a little mean lol) especially air travel, which I usually do solo so the only person who has to deal with me is me. R toodled on over and soon we were on our way to the most luxurious of all hotels, the Courtyard by Marriott near Pittsburgh Airport.

But not before...
IMG_5256.jpeg

I took a photo of my oven on the way out. You laugh BUT on summer break I drove up to New York to visit my grandma and halfway through the 7 hour drive I convinced myself I had left the oven on broil after making some toast that morning (I had not but BESIDE THE POINT). Anyways, as you can see, the oven is off.

It was a quick ride to the airport thanks to my chauffeur. We checked in to the hotel and were off in search of something to eat.
IMG_5257.jpeg

I didn't feel like going into Pittsburgh since we had to be up super early and I was already tired from my day, so we settled for Plaza Azteca. There's one in Morgantown so I knew what I was getting into and it's never particularly disappointed me for a chain restaurant.
IMG_5258.jpeg

While we ate, I managed to work some magic after stalking the dining reservations for weeks trying to change our 11:50 reservation to something a little later. I was finally successful! This would give us the morning to explore, since R had no idea what he was getting into — in fact, he had asked me earlier that week if Disney World had porta-potties. Dear reader, my mouth fell agape in horror. He says he was just messing with me, but the boy displays such charming naiveté when it comes to WDW that I truly thought he was being serious. Anyways...
IMG_5260.jpeg

I just sit back and observe.... teehee
Uh oh, we forgot to bring Tums! That means we should stop somewhere. Why not Target, I suggest.... R knows why I want to go to Target.
IMG_5261.jpeg

Oh Squishmallow aisle... My great weakness... They were fortunately all rather ugly so I did not succumb. Do not ask how I intend to transport my 15 Squishmallows to my various clinical sites. But they are coming with me.

On the way back to the hotel I did the unthinkable
IMG_5262.PNG

I broke out in a cold sweat setting this alarm. R was rather mutinous, but set his for 4:00 in case somehow my phone did not go off.

It was time to shower! Would I recommend Courtyard by Marriott at Pittsburgh Airport?
IMG_5263.jpeg

Not my hair.
its a no from me dawg GIF

Especially when I reached forward for soap and...
IMG_5264.jpeg

What am I supposed to do with all this shampoo but no soap!!! So, for a one night stay — fine, it was okay. I did pay $144 for this luxury, so... not great. Not great.

An early night and some melatonin brought us to
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 5TH
IMG_5265.jpeg

Horrific I tell you! But right on time. We scared the night desk person, because I don't think he was expecting a single soul at 4 am approaching him to check out. Fortunately, it was a less than 10 minute ride to PIT, with our flight boarding at 5:15 (this felt exceptionally early).
IMG_5266.jpeg

The quality of this image is pretty reflective of our mental state at this point. We parked in the economy lot and had a hike to the terminal, and I was bamboozled by their 10$ a day charge thinking that it would be literal clock in-clock out (so we'd be at 10 dollars if you ask me because we were parked there for a DAY... and some change) but R was confident that it would be based on the date rather than the time... I regret to inform you that he was correct. I usually use a different parking service when I fly out of PIT but I didn't want to have to rely on a shuttle to/from the airport etc. etc.

tonystark

Original Poster
IMG_5267.jpeg

The walk to the terminal is a lot of moving walkways. I was reassured by the girls in front of us, whose backpacks were stuffed to the brim. I was a little worried Spirit would charge me, the pilot, for my backpack since she was a little rotund (you never know if you might require two pairs of shorts for a 36 hour journey).
IMG_5269.jpeg

Oh to be a tiny dog in a bag....

I will say that our departing flight was seamless. But I sat down on one of those chairs (turns out they had an alternative pilot available so I wasn't required) and my GOD.... This flight was cheap, it served its purpose, but when I am back to making big girl money... I think I'll pass on Spirit.
IMG_5271.jpeg

12 dollars for wifi on a 2 hour flight like are you out of your MINDS!!! Also, it was at this moment that I noticed I forgot to pack a portable charger (NOOOOOO) as you can see by my putting my phone on low power mode. For an iPhone 13, she sure runs out of battery like its her job, and I was only listening to music while reading on my Kindle and had previously used it for my boarding pass, so being at 88% already felt insulting.
IMG_5272.jpeg

and they had a white refrigerator etc. etc.
CgHP3b_WEAMr0h9.jpg

Me on that Spirit flight.

We made it! I knew we would. Early, in fact — like I said, our departing flight was seamless. Took my phone off of airplane mode whilst waiting to deplane and...
IMG_5274.PNG

Huzzah!!! That meant I could get rid of my backpack which I didn't want to leave lying around since it had my school laptop (grind never STOPS!!!). I'm 99% sure R was hoping that we would take a nap. Oh, the poor man... You know that's not how I do Disney...
IMG_5275.jpeg

Mears Connect was pretty easy to find once we got over to the right terminal (we arrived in A I believe and had to get to B). Our shuttle was already there, but we waited 10-15 minutes for some other folks.
IMG_5276.PNG

Out of curiosity I checked what an Uber would cost because I wasn't sure if Mears Connect made sense financially. I think I paid a little over $60 for our round trip, so it was probably the same if not a little cheaper than an Uber (they had given me a 20% off coupon on Uber since I hadn't used it in eons so that's why the price is discounted... and then the coupon expired anyways).

It was not too long before we saw...
IMG_5280.jpeg

R: "They have their own highway system?????"
The first of many discoveries for him. We had one stop before our stop at the deluxe All Star Sports Resort.
IMG_5281.jpeg

Oh, Coronado... I will be back for you when Grandma and I visit... She was texting me at this time wanting to know what we were up to — I was sad we couldn't make this trip happen for both of us, but when I graduate I think we'll do a longer trip and get back to crushing our records.
IMG_5284.jpeg

R: "This is just the hotel????"

riverside

(also Spirit is garbage)
Couldn’t agree with you more.
On my walk back from school, I texted my boyfriend, R (there are a LOT of R significant others on this website!!)
🤣🤣🤣
I took a photo of my oven on the way out. You laugh BUT on summer break I drove up to New York to visit my grandma and halfway through the 7 hour drive I convinced myself I had left the oven on broil after making some toast that morning (I had not but BESIDE THE POINT). Anyways, as you can see, the oven is off.
I totally get it. I check my oven every day-& I don’t use it!!🤣
We parked in the economy lot and had a hike to the terminal, and I was bamboozled by their 10$ a day charge
Especially bc(IMO) the parking lot there is creepy. It is so run down & needs paved desperately.
But I sat down on one of those chairs (turns out they had an alternative pilot available so I wasn't required) and my GOD...
My R refuses to fly Spirit anymore. He calls their seats “folding chairs”!!🤣🤣

Doc Disney

In other news, I saw Taylor Swift in June which was life changing! But now I need something new to look forward to..

Ugh same ! I saw her in Cincinnati (even though geographically Pittsburgh is closer to me) and I have been chasing that high ever since!

I do this with my straightener. I have myself convinced I never unplug it!!

Cant wait to hear more!

tonystark

Original Poster
Especially bc(IMO) the parking lot there is creepy. It is so run down & needs paved desperately.
It was VERY confusing navigating coming back LOL. Somehow at 4 am I understood it better and then on Friday we had no idea where 13n was.
My R refuses to fly Spirit anymore. He calls their seats “folding chairs”!!🤣🤣
He's literally right. It was horrible. I thought things were okay walking through the front of the plane because the chairs looked more comfortable — and then I realized that was a luxury they had paid for...
I do this with my straightener. I have myself convinced I never unplug it!!
What am I supposed to do if all of my belongings catch on fire!!!
Great start and loving seeing it through R’s eyes having never been before.
I love taking people for the first time!!! It keeps me from being too negative.

tonystark

Original Poster
IMG_5286.jpeg

Why do we take pictures of these rooms when we know exactly what they look like!!! Anyways, here are some pictures of a room that looks exactly as you know it does.
IMG_5287.jpeg

R's backpack in its rightful place because he snores something fierce so you knowwww I got a 2 bed room.
IMG_5288.jpeg

My backpack in its rightful place. I awarded R four pillows.
IMG_5289.jpeg

No hairs spotted in here. Body wash was there, though!!!
IMG_5290.jpeg

And so was soap!!
IMG_5292.jpeg

Another view of a room that you have seen before.
IMG_5293.jpeg

I thought this was a cute motif.

Anyways, that's the room! Glad I took these photos, because by the time we got back from the party, I went straight to sleep and then we had to leave the following morning. So, proof that we did actually spend the night at WDW.
IMG_5294.jpeg

We hadn't eaten. Was I going to make a healthy choice? I stared at this bakery case for a few seconds. I considered it...
IMG_5295.jpeg

No.... No.... You settled for plant-based Mickey shaped frittata with potato barrels and fruit cup?
Yes. I did. Plant based eggs were interesting. This was kind of crappy lol. I would recommend passing on it. I just didn't want anything particularly heavy because I knew I'd be having a lot of sugar today.
IMG_5296.jpeg

An ulcerated grape that I did not eat.

R got a bacon egg and cheese bagel which he said was passable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom