News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

sullyinMT

I know this is a small issue in the grand scheme of things and is slightly unconnected. Can the state prevent Disney from holding runDisney events? As the races require roads to be closed.
I’m sure that’s one area the new district could get into the minutiae of hindering operations pretty easily. Permitting road closures and emergency right of way is no small undertaking for large race events. Though the WDW runs have long histories and are probably formality in route plan meetings after this long, look at Kona and the headache a new day of racing caused when Ironman expanded their world champ format this year.

If event organizers don’t have chocolate pudding at aid stations, though, with three-fingered sporks, it’s an opportunity lost.

Surferboy567

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Even though the general session ends in early May, the governor can also call the legislature into a special session.
So any potential legislative action post May would be possible. special sessions always add extra cost for Perdiem for house and senate members, but they can be called.

At the cost of at least $150K to Florida taxpayers.

However, that would be a highly controversial special session.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd like to throw this out there too using my political strategist hat... First off, watching the legislature capitulate to the governor is a horror show and an exercise in spinelessness. We have a soft moderate style of governance in this state in terms of the governor's office with a strong legislature. The legislature has given up their significant power over the past few years because they're afraid of the mob. They watch their own party's governor ridicule them and strip projects away from them.... but I expect to see the tide turn...

I'll say it and bet nearly everything on it that DeSantis will not the the nominee on the Republican side and once we get over that hump, this guy becomes a target from within his own caucus. DeSantis will be a lame duck (not able to run for re-election) and I fully expect legislators to start taking their power back. The days of rubber stamping will come to a close in terms of what he wants. I've been around countless state legislators and federal ones... At the end of the day, once you're a lame duck, forget about it.

In the meantime, he'll continue to become even more outlandish, extreme, and undemocratic in his actions. It's really something to see a Republican turn the government into the ultimate big brother from one's personal lives to using the state against private corporations. What a mess. And a side-note, for those looking for the opposition party to crawl out of its state of disaster, it's not happening any time soon. Folks that I know who are top Democratic strategists and players have no interest in playing ball here. Until the state party isn't a dumpster fire, not much will change. And that dumpster fire has been burning strong for nearly two decades.
We don’t want a full on political thing here…

But I think you might be reading the politics of Florida wrong. Desantis isn’t “imposing his will” on the legislature and voters…they are creating him by this new grievance culture thing.

Not just Florida. We have a pretty obvious national example

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
They were too focused on this "woke" hysteria stuff last year that they had to hold special sessions for actually important things like insurance. They just don't really care about governing for actually useful things.

Special sessions historically have focused on important statewide issues that couldn't be resolved during regular session, such as the aforementioned property insurance, redistricting, rebudgeting, etc.

I cannot, in my nearly 40 years in state government, remember a special session that focused solely on amending a section of the Florida Statutes to benefit a single office holder.

Cliff

It seems to me that the state of Florida will curse the day they ever challanged the Walt Disney Corporation. This is a "David vs Golliath" match here and the state of Florida has no rocks that it can throw at Disney. (It wouldnt work even if they did)

Disney WILL win this fight. They WILL control their own government and that's it. The faster the voters of Florida accept this, the easier it will be for everybody. (This includes Disney's Orlando competition too)

Disney DESERVES to control it's local government. It is their RIGHT and they are perfectly intitled to do so! Florida...stop trying to get in this company's way! Florida should be THANKING Disney instead of questioning them!

We all know that this is the "Walt Disney Corporation" and that resistance is futile.

Riviera Rita

So agan why did they have to setup the quasi-government in the first place? Why have a democratically elected board? Why setup the complicated land ownership and houses with Disney employees in it? Why not just sign the whole thing over to Disney at the get-go?

Yeah again, I think I'm going to take the word of actual authors on this subject that have done actual research, instead of the anonymous voices on the internet.
Why don't you Google the answer to your question?

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

csmat99

Picture this if you will: The year is 2025. The date: January 20th. President DeSantis has just wrapped up his first inaugural address, and steps inside a room off the capitol rotunda to sign his first executive orders as POTUS, first among them banning the sale of Walt Disney World tickets on U.S. military bases.

But seriously though, will he ever drop it and shift his focus to the more pressing issues?
He will never become president. He isn't that smart, horrible in debates and people in this country don't like politicians from Florida.

csmat99

So many legal experts here. I got confused and thought I was in a message board for experts on legislation and law.

Perhaps it could be made easy for the moderator. Create two threads were all the people who are on the State of Florida's side go and have their little group think thread and those who don't like it go and have their little feel good thread. Since it's just the same boring argument over and over and over again.

Yes you don't like DeSantis, Yes you don't like Disney. It gets repetitive and dull.
Who does like DeSantis? Unless you into that fascist type of thing.

lentesta

Premium Member
I also wonder if he's shocked that Disney, or the former RCID board, hasn't taken direct legal action against the state. He continues to throw chum in the water hoping for a bite, and they (TWDC) isn't taking the bait.

My guess is that it's Disney's strategy to get the state to sue.

If I understand correctly, the federal courts can't get involved when a citizen sues a state, under the 11th Amendment (cite)

Buf if the state sues, it's the plantiff and the state waives its right to immunity under the 11th Amendment.

So if the state sues, Disney can move the suits to the federal level. The federal courts would likely look at all of this much, much differently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom