News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

asianway

The roads that serve WDW are mostly owned and controlled by RCID and the new board would have to impose these tolls right? So wouldn’t the toll revenue go to the district and not the state? If the toll revenue went to the district and the district has to maintain a mostly balanced budget wouldn’t this actually result in a decrease in Disney’s tax bill?

As far as hotel taxes go for the local portion isn’t it the county that collects that tax? I don’t think the Governor can change that it would have to come from the county. Even if they add an additional local hotel tax collected by the district I think he has the same problem as tolls then. For the State portion of the hotel tax is it possible to only raise hotel taxes on specific hotels? Wouldn’t he need to raise state hotel taxes on all hotels in the state?
There has been ongoing controversy in Florida for years regarding taxability of the components of bundled hotel packages state rate vs TAT vs non taxable. This would not only affect Disney but other travel “shell” companies in Florida. This is what he’s speaking of.

Tha Realest

Well, I guess that's one way to spin what actually happened. :rolleyes:
On the one hand you have numerous former classmates of RJ’s son (he’s being homeschooled now, coincidentally) and threatening messages which predate her latest lawsuit.

And on the other hand you have RJ, who’s proven over and over again to be highly non-credible.

But you seem awfully confident of what really happened here.

sullyinMT

Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if he's intentionally setting himself up to lose in court just so he can shrug and say "well, I tried."
I also wonder if he's shocked that Disney, or the former RCID board, hasn't taken direct legal action against the state. He continues to throw chum in the water hoping for a bite, and they (TWDC) isn't taking the bait. I'd love to see someone with Disney's might stand up to this action, and as a lay person I believe their legal case is strong. Yet being in a politically charged legal battle where the narrative to the uninformed is that Disney just wants to be a self-sovereign tax advantaged quasi-government seems to a non-starter in Burbank for now. I was really disappointed that Disney didn't come out swinging, but right now they're the adult in the room while Ron and Co continue to build a case against themselves.

Sir_Cliff

Trying to avoid politics but keep in mind 2016 a somewhat popular FL Governor with a sound record of accomplishment was steamrolled by an upstart candidate “because HE FIGHTS!” Implicit in the prevailing candidate’s message was that the mainstream GOP leadership said one thing when it came to policies and priorities, but balked on stuff like social issues. Hence, the populist type movement that propelled the FL governor’s opponent in that election.

So as not to have a replay of the 2016 primary fight, the current FL governor wants to show “HE FIGHTS! (too).”
I think it has been a bad battle to pick, though. Lashing out at Disney World just makes him look like a petty and petulant wannabe tyrant and his main opponent look positively statesmanlike. For those beyond the fringes who just want to "own" their opponents, threatening to introduce tollroads to Disney World or build on land around them because they defied you doesn't even seem like a particularly effective way to win the culture wars.

Honestly, I think he backed himself into a corner with his initial promise to abolish RCID without any plan for how to do it and is having to expend political capital on a battle that isn't actually beneficial to him politically. Who wants to be going into the presidential primaries as the guy who looks obsessed with taking revenge on Mickey Mouse?

It gives some hint that he may not be quite the political strategist that some imagine him to be with all the implications that has for the presidential nomination.

tissandtully

This type of cultish behavior in government cannot be tolerated. For those of you who support him in this fight because your politics happen to align with him, consider the fact that if he can control all branches of the state government like this, so can someone in the opposite party.
I know right? Imagine Charlie Crist going after The Villages and wanting to end their special deal because they did something he didn't like, that would be messed up too.

Disney Glimpses

I think it has been a bad battle to pick, though. Lashing out at Disney World just makes him look like a petty and petulant wannabe tyrant and his main opponent look positively statesmanlike. For those beyond the fringes who just want to "own" their opponents, threatening to introduce tollroads to Disney World or build on land around them because they defied you doesn't even seem like a particularly effective way to win the culture wars.

Honestly, I think he backed himself into a corner with his initial promise to abolish RCID without any plan for how to do it and is having to expend political capital on a battle that isn't actually all that beneficial to him politically. Who wants to be going into the presidential primaries as the guy who looks obsessed with taking revenge on Mickey Mouse?
I mean, the fact that this went from "we're going to dissolve Disney's district" to "we're going to tax Disney's customers" proves how badly he is losing this fight.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I also wonder if he's shocked that Disney, or the former RCID board, hasn't taken direct legal action against the state. He continues to throw chum in the water hoping for a bite, and they (TWDC) isn't taking the bait. I'd love to see someone with Disney's might stand up to this action, and as a lay person I believe their legal case is strong. Yet being in a politically charged legal battle where the narrative to the uninformed is that Disney just wants to be a self-sovereign tax advantaged quasi-government seems to a non-starter in Burbank for now. I was really disappointed that Disney didn't come out swinging, but right now they're the adult in the room while Ron and Co continue to build a case against themselves.
I’m no lawyer (though I talk to plenty)
…but it seems clear that Disney’s legion of attorneys determined that direct legal action doesn’t serve them.
They clearly want to be the offended - not the offender…so they’re daring some Talla-twit to do something stupid.

I’d say that’s the right call

Tha Realest

Honestly, I think he backed himself into a corner with his initial promise to abolish RCID without any plan for how to do it and is having to expend political capital on a battle that isn't actually beneficial to him politically. Who wants to be going into the presidential primaries as the guy who looks obsessed with taking revenge on Mickey Mouse?

It gives some hint that he may not be quite the political strategist that some imagine him to be with all the implications that has for the presidential nomination.
I’m not weighing in in the wisdom of choosing to pick this fight and the tactics involved, but merely offering some context on the why, and how it seeks to head off a replay of 2016.

afterabme

Florida media descend on the state capitol during session. And given the potential of the current governor running for president in 2024, they will be following this topic very closely.
Even though the general session ends in early May, the governor can also call the legislature into a special session.
So any potential legislative action post May would be possible. special sessions always add extra cost for Perdiem for house and senate members, but they can be called.

mf1972

dear tallahassee…
94CFD103-F117-4FD1-82E2-FE17A52BBB60.gif

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Other people have a different interpretation, just read the article linked.

If your interpretation is correct there wouldn't be a need to change the law.

It's a moot point, legislation can go through in minutes, slight exaggeration

Read the entire statute. He cannot qualify for the office if he doesn't comply with resign to run law. That's part of the qualifying package.

The question is...does a candidate for POTUS have to qualify in the state? The statute says...

"(2) No person may qualify as a candidate for more than one public office, whether federal, state, district, county, or municipal, if the terms or any part thereof run concurrently with each other."

Does "federal" include president or vice president of the United States. That the Legislature removed the requirement for federal office in 2007 when then Republican governor Charlie Crist was thought to be John McCain's running mate in 2008 tells you that "federal" included POTUS and VPOTUS. In 2018, the Legislature reconfirmed that when it removed the exception for president and vice president.

Yes, legislation can pass quickly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Yeah…it’s bad strategy.

They want money generated on the “hate fervor” of 25% of the voters…
…can’t win a 51% election with it, however.

Arithmetic is hard

alphac2005

I'd like to throw this out there too using my political strategist hat... First off, watching the legislature capitulate to the governor is a horror show and an exercise in spinelessness. We have a soft moderate style of governance in this state in terms of the governor's office with a strong legislature. The legislature has given up their significant power over the past few years because they're afraid of the mob. They watch their own party's governor ridicule them and strip projects away from them.... but I expect to see the tide turn...

I'll say it and bet nearly everything on it that DeSantis will not the the nominee on the Republican side and once we get over that hump, this guy becomes a target from within his own caucus. DeSantis will be a lame duck (not able to run for re-election) and I fully expect legislators to start taking their power back. The days of rubber stamping will come to a close in terms of what he wants. I've been around countless state legislators and federal ones... At the end of the day, once you're a lame duck, forget about it.

In the meantime, he'll continue to become even more outlandish, extreme, and undemocratic in his actions. It's really something to see a Republican turn the government into the ultimate big brother from one's personal lives to using the state against private corporations. What a mess. And a side-note, for those looking for the opposition party to crawl out of its state of disaster, it's not happening any time soon. Folks that I know who are top Democratic strategists and players have no interest in playing ball here. Until the state party isn't a dumpster fire, not much will change. And that dumpster fire has been burning strong for nearly two decades.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'd like to throw this out there too using my political strategist hat... First off, watching the legislature capitulate to the governor is a horror show and an exercise in spinelessness. We have a soft moderate style of governance in this state in terms of the governor's office with a strong legislature. The legislature has given up their significant power over the past few years because they're afraid of the mob. They watch their own party's governor ridicule them and strip projects away from them.... but I expect t

o see the tide turn...

I'll say it and bet nearly everything on it that DeSantis will not the the nominee on the Republican side and once we get over that hump, this guy becomes a target from within his own caucus. DeSantis will be a lame duck (not able to run for re-election) and I fully expect legislators to start taking their power back. The days of rubber stamping will come to a close in terms of what he wants. I've been around countless state legislators and federal ones... At the end of the day, once you're a lame duck, forget about it.

In the meantime, he'll continue to become even more outlandish, extreme, and undemocratic in his actions. It's really something to see a Republican turn the government into the ultimate big brother from one's personal lives to using the state against private corporations. What a mess. And a side-note, for those looking for the opposition party to crawl out of its state of disaster, it's not happening any time soon. Folks that I know who are top Democratic strategists and players have no interest in playing ball here. Until the state party isn't a dumpster fire, not much will change. And that dumpster fire has been burning strong for nearly two decades.

💯

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom