Rumor Disney's 100th Anniversary

Animaniac93-98

It was a nice enough ad. However I was a little suprised they didn't show Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. For a 100th anniversary ad that seemed like an odd omission.

I feel like Little Mermaid has replaced Snow White in the Disney narrative as the "special one".

For decades, it was Snow White due to its significance and continued popularity in re-releases, but now I feel Little Mermaid has replaced it thanks to the Millennial nostalgia Disney is trying to maximize and because it was the start of the "renaissance". The tail end of that period is also when Iger became involved with the company so I feel like anything from the 90s on is more familiar to him too.

Snow White is now seen as old fashioned by the masses and Disney's too lazy to promote the movie beyond selling Princess merch.

Bocabear

But Maybe if Snow White opened a sustainable apple orchard and Pie co-op...showing she was a strong female entrepreneur...then she would really be relevant again... Perhaps all the princesses could band together and create a "Princess Inc." company creating magic for the 100th Anniversary...Imagine how many more water towers with crowns they could add all over the parks!

Touchdown

The lines for SDMT and the cheers for the Queen’s arrival in Fantasmic being the second most cheered arrival (after Mickey) both nights I attended suggest otherwise.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But Maybe if Snow White opened a sustainable apple orchard and Pie co-op...showing she was a strong female entrepreneur...then she would really be relevant again... Perhaps all the princesses could band together and create a "Princess Inc." company creating magic for the 100th Anniversary...Imagine how many more water towers with crowns they could add all over the parks!
STAAAAHPPP…don’t get ‘em riled up 😎

DisneyDebRob

Disney has created a life-like hologram of Walt Disney for the Disney100 museum exhibition -

"As part of its 100th anniversary marketing-palooza, the Walt Disney Company used archival video and artificial intelligence tools to create a lifelike hologram of its founder — a full-size digital avatar that speaks in Walt’s voice and appears as part of interactive exhibitions of Disney artwork, props and costumes that will tour the globe until at least 2028.

“I get goose bumps every time I see it,” said Becky Cline, director of the Disney Archives."

I’m going to see the exhibit in Philadelphia next week. It says over 250 props, writings, costumes and original ride vehicles. This sounds like it should be good, I’m hoping any!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m going to see the exhibit in Philadelphia next week. It says over 250 props, writings, costumes and original ride vehicles. This sounds like it should be good, I’m hoping any!

Lol…stumbled across the tickets last night

How can I resist walt rapping like Tupac? 🤪

Animaniac93-98

But Maybe if Snow White opened a sustainable apple orchard and Pie co-op...showing she was a strong female entrepreneur...then she would really be relevant again... Perhaps all the princesses could band together and create a "Princess Inc."

Who knew all you had to do to make Princesses more timeless, more relevant and more Disney was to replace their dreams of romance with dreams of money?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have to say…it wasn’t lost on me during the Super Bowl ad that the last scene in the Promo was what I’ve been arguing on boards for 12 years is one of the absolute best Disney scenes ever…

And still only has urinals in the parks

I’m working on that book right now 😎

DCBaker

Premium Member
Disney has created a life-like hologram of Walt Disney for the Disney100 museum exhibition -

"As part of its 100th anniversary marketing-palooza, the Walt Disney Company used archival video and artificial intelligence tools to create a lifelike hologram of its founder — a full-size digital avatar that speaks in Walt’s voice and appears as part of interactive exhibitions of Disney artwork, props and costumes that will tour the globe until at least 2028.

“I get goose bumps every time I see it,” said Becky Cline, director of the Disney Archives."

Good Morning America showed footage of the Walt Disney hologram this morning -

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Good Morning America showed footage of the Walt Disney hologram this morning -

Katy Perry Reaction GIF by Idols Global

castlecake2.0

I think we’re so used to seeing him in grainy old film strips that when he’s “cleaned up” and more lifelike its kinda creepy because we’re Not used to him that way. Like the poster said above, I think this would be great for Carousel of Progress preshow

Virtual Toad

I've been doing a lot of AI voice work lately (a LOT-- thousands of lines and hours of voice work)-- but for a project developing a fictional character. The AI "Walt" voice seems too "flat"-- not enough pitch up and down.

From my experience using AI character voices over the last few years, this seems to be a big limitation. AI still can't seem to get the "pitch" right when trying to emphasize certain words.

Funny, a few days ago after the Super Bowl ad, I questioned whether that was actually Walt's voice and words, or AI at the end of the spot. Would love to know the answer to that one. Was that really Walt saying the quote in his own words, or an AI "Walt" reciting a modern-day corporate script?

As far as the hologram is concerned, my wife immediately noticed the hand gestures were inauthentic as well.

Sure, people our age who've seen and heard enough of the real Walt Disney can spot a fake "Walt" when we see one, but what's to stop the Walt Disney Company from replacing the real Walt Disney and his true legacy (good and bad) with their own corporatized version of "Walt?"

Frankly, this trend toward using "deep fake" AI and ChatGPT have me terrified for our children's future. Reality itself can never be trusted once these genies are fully let out of the bottle. And with so much $$$ involved, there is little chance our corporate (and political?) leaders will exercise any sort of restraint.

Any instance of "deep fake AI" or computer-generated writing should have to carry a mandatory disclaimer. Period. Orwell spoke of a future where computers generated music, art and literature. And here we are.

It seems there are very few days lately when I don't wake up and/or try to go to sleep while enduring panic attacks and anxiety. Sigh.

mightynine

I think it's a combo of it's a little TOO real and also not quite real, which is basically AI in a nutshell right now. The voice, in particular, just feels a wee bit...off? Like not enough inflection - small, but noticeable.

GF and I have a multi-state northeast trip in April and we're considering stopping by this exhibit, so I'll be looking forward to any reports on the ground from Philly!

Sure, people our age who've seen and heard enough of the real Walt Disney can spot a fake "Walt" when we see one, but what's to stop the Walt Disney Company from replacing the real Walt Disney and his true legacy (good and bad) with their own corporatized version of "Walt?"
I'd argue they've already done that, and AI just gives them an opportunity to further refine it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom