News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Tom P.

Oh, this response is always adorable. I’ll tell my parents, one of whom is in a wheelchair and one with arthritis that prevents them from contorting their body as Tron and FoP demands, that they should just sort themselves out.
You're taking very specific examples of people with legitimate disabilities, which always exist and need to be accommodated, and using it to bash the idea that maybe, just maybe, there's a large percentage of the population who are, in fact, responsible for their own issues. I'm sorry, but we have a major obesity crisis in this country. And it's not just that if affects people's appearances or keeps them from riding the latest Disney ride. It is killing people. And the vast majority (not all) of the responsibility is on the individuals themselves. It's time we stopped being afraid to say that. We're not doing anyone any favors by pretending otherwise. And the presence of people with legitimate disabilities does not change that.

Jrb1979

You're taking very specific examples of people with legitimate disabilities, which always exist and need to be accommodated, and using it to bash the idea that maybe, just maybe, there's a large percentage of the population who are, in fact, responsible for their own issues. I'm sorry, but we have a major obesity crisis in this country. And it's not just that if affects people's appearances or keeps them from riding the latest Disney ride. It is killing people. And the vast majority (not all) of the responsibility is on the individuals themselves. It's time we stopped being afraid to say that. We're not doing anyone any favors by pretending otherwise. And the presence of people with legitimate disabilities does not change that.
A quick fix is making them all take the walk of shame at parks.

J4546

I get people with disabilities and weight problems may not get to ride this easily if it all, but some rides and attractions are just not gonna work for everyone. Luckily there are dozens of other attractions at the parks to enjoy. There's a few rides I can't go myself due to motion sickness. Space Mountain, star tours, goofys sky school, etc...that doesn't mean I hate the rides or think they shouldnt build them, I just go on the many other rides.

1 of my fave disney attractions that I've never been to only seen videos of is called camp discovery in Shanghai. Its a rope course obstacle course mountain climbing attraction and it looks so amazing I wish they'd bring it here but people would probably freak out cause it's def something a lot of usa disney guests wouldn't be able to do because of mobility and weight. But if they built it, I'd be all for it.

ToTBellHop

I get people with disabilities and weight problems may not get to ride this easily if it all, but some rides and attractions are just not gonna work for everyone. Luckily there are dozens of other attractions at the parks to enjoy. There's a few rides I can't go myself due to motion sickness. Space Mountain, star tours, goofys sky school, etc...that doesn't mean I hate the rides or think they shouldnt build them, I just go on the many other rides.

1 of my fave disney attractions that I've never been to only seen videos of is called camp discovery in Shanghai. Its a rope course obstacle course mountain climbing attraction and it looks so amazing I wish they'd bring it here but people would probably freak out cause it's def something a lot of usa disney guests wouldn't be able to do because of mobility and weight. But if they built it, I'd be all for it.
I dare say anyone who can ride any other MK roller coaster can ride this in the back.

lewisc

And the vast majority (not all) of information responsibility is on the individuals themselves. It's time we stopped being afraid to say that. We're not doing anyone any favors by pretending otherwise. And the presence of people with legitimate disabilities does not change that.
Disney refuses to furnish nutritional info, including calories and carbohydrates.

Disney is part of the problem.

Sorcerer Mickey

I will sit by the entrance to Tron with a big bag of popcorn and enjoy the sight of folks who regularly call others "sensitive" get offended when they don't fit inside the lightcycle. I might not fit myself after that much popcorn.

yensidtlaw1969

It's not that people are "afraid" to say that, it's that many people have the general understanding that this is a gross mischaracterization of the situation, and therefore know better than to say it.

Tom P.

Disney refuses to furnish nutritional info, including calories and carbohydrates.

Disney is part of the problem.
I appreciate having nutritional information available. But I can still look at a Disney restaurant menu and tell which choices are generally healthy or unhealthy, and which are likely to be bad for my weight. It doesn't take detailed nutritional information to make those kinds of assessments. Additionally, most people are at Walt Disney World for a maximum of a week or two. What they are eating for a one or two week period is not an issue. It is what they are eating (and doing) the remaining 50 weeks of the year.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It's not that people are "afraid" to say that, it's that many people have the general understanding that this is a gross mischaracterization of the situation, and therefore know better than to say it.
There is an obesity epidemic this in country. What are you referring to? That individuals of lower income in this country have much easier access to unhealthy, over processed foods..rather than healthier options? There is some of that, which is our own fault as well. But of course these individuals are probably not going to WDW either...

lewisc

I appreciate having nutritional information available. But I can still look at a Disney restaurant menu and tell which choices are generally healthy or unhealthy, and which are likely to be bad for my weight. It doesn't take detailed nutritional information to make those kinds of assessments. Additionally, most people are at Walt Disney World for a maximum of a week or two. What they are eating for a one or two week period is not an issue. It is what they are eating (and doing) the remaining 50 weeks of the year.
Diabetics generally count carbs. Carb counting is used to calculate how much insulin to take. There are books and apps which list nutritional information for restaurants, food items you buy from supermarket and a lot of recipes. Disney is missing.

You can generally guesstimate...Some pasta sauces have a lot of added sugar. Some BBQ sauce s get their flavor from vinegar, onion etc. Others get their flavor from sugar such as brown sugar, molasses, high fructose corn syrup etc.

HUGE DIFFERENCES

RSoxNo1

Is it because they don't want people to bring their phones with them on the ride?

That's a good point. The idea is for the lockers to minimize what is carried onto the ride, so using something like a phone as the key is not ideal. Although here is a small storage area on the lightycles for things that are phone sized. My guess its just likely to be a compatibility issue.
There was a PhotoPass offering specific to TRON that could be activated using the phone. This is not the reason.

Tom P.

Diabetics generally count carbs. Carb counting is used to calculate how much insulin to take. There are books and apps which list nutritional information for restaurants, food items you buy from supermarket and a lot of recipes. Disney is missing.

You can generally guesstimate...Some pasta sauces have a lot of added sugar. Some BBQ sauce s get their flavor from vinegar, onion etc. Others get their flavor from sugar such as brown sugar, molasses, high fructose corn syrup etc.

HUGE DIFFERENCES
I absolutely agree that Disney should be providing nutritional information for their food. This information has been widely available at most locations for a long time now. And I know there are people, like diabetics, for whom such information is more than just watching their weight, but can actually make a huge difference in their health.

However, my point was that a lack of nutritional information at Disney restaurants is not, in general, making a significant contribution to people's obesity problems, since you can still generally know which items are more or less likely to affect your weight and the amount of time most people spend at Disney in a given year is relatively small.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom