Your Honest Opinion: Should we use our comped 2-day parkhoppers to visit WDW from offsite during high crowds, or save them?

Weather_Lady

My family and I had a Boo Bash debacle this past August that resulted in our being given 2-day parkhopper tickets, to be used for a future visit (no expiration).

As we'd already planned to be at Universal over February break, it seemed like a no-brainer to use them then, with an eye toward at least checking out Ratatouille and/or the Space 220 Lounge, since they'd be new to us, as well as enjoying some of our old favorites around the parks, for as close to "free" as we'll ever get.

However, as our visit draws closer, I'm starting to second-guess visiting WDW at all. My family didn't want to make a park reservation at EPCOT due to its later opening time, as they felt that would "waste" some of the ticket value by forcing us to twiddle our thumbs for half the morning. That means Ratatouille is probably out, since we couldn't get a boarding group at 7am (no park reservation), and would likely be shut out of the 1pm distribution as well (since we'd be hopping there no earlier than 2pm, on a day with crowd levels expected to be 9 out of 10). Since Space 220 Lounge is now ADR-only with reservations selling out before the 60-day mark, our chances of visiting it are virtually nil, as well. Also, enjoying any of those "old favorite" attractions is going to take far more standing in line than we're used to with early entry eroding the value of a rope drop arrival for offsite guests, no extended park hours despite it being a high-crowd week, no sense paying to try out Genie+ as the "good" ones will all be gone by lunchtime, and we just wouldn't ever purchase ILL access, on principle. I watched wait times on the app over Thanksgiving break, and they were terrible, which makes me very nervous for February break. (We've visited over February break before and wait times were very tolerable, but that was in 2020, just pre-COVID, and using the old FP+ system, so I'm thinking that Thanksgiving Week 2021 is a better predictor of what we can expect to see in February 2022 than our February 2020 visit was.)

I'd been so excited about using those tickets, but I'm starting to worry it's a bad idea that won't be enjoyable for anybody. (It doesn't help that our last visit to WDW in August saw some of the lowest crowds ever and it was pre-Genie+ and pre-early entry, so we got spoiled with short wait times.) Am I overestimating the touring impact of the "new" policies like early entry and Genie+/ILL on off-site/non-purchasing guests? Or should I suspend my judgment for a few weeks until wait time predictors have had more of a chance to digest more Genie+-era data? What are your thoughts?

(And yes, I do realize I'm totally overthinking this and being ridiculous -- I'm just not sure whether I'm overthinking my eagerness to use the tickets, or overthinking my concerns about using them! I've tumbled down one of those Disney planning rabbit holes, and I need some unbiased feedback to moor me to reality.) ;)

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

I'm with you in thinking it would be a waste to use them as they are restrictive in the use now. Since they are non expiring, I'd put them away for now and use them on a return trip when you can get a better value for them. You did pay a lot for the Boo Bash, so why lose money on the deal now? We havent been back since Genie and the LL but from what Ive been reading on here and other sites, they havent made trips any easier to manage.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

I’d also be inclined to save them. We’re sitting on gold APs that we never activated due to our July 2020 trip being canceled. We’re really torn about whether to go ahead and start them when we’ll be down there in February, or just wait a bit. If I were going to universal, and had been to Disney relatively recently, it would be an easy “let’s skip Disney this time” decision for my family, but our situations are different.

Upvote 0

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
I would hold on to them. I’ve gone during the COVID era and have a reservation that pretty much ensures I will again. That being said, offerings aren’t close to normal and those tickets just go up in value as WDW raises prices each year. Get more bang for your buck later.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice, everybody! My initial post was long and involved, and I really appreciate those who took the time to read it through, and help nudge me in the right direction.

After talking it over with my husband and kids, we decided to take your sage collective advice, and nix visiting WDW during our Universal vacation in February. We'll just enjoy some extra down time in and around Universal instead. I can tell it was the right decision, as all the stress and uncertainty associated with our upcoming trip instantly melted away as soon as we crossed WDW off of the itinerary. We'll hold onto our Disney comp tickets for a future visit in a couple of years -- one where there will be many more new things for us to enjoy (and hopefully the kinks of Genie+/ILL will either be worked out, or sufficiently well-known that there will be tried-and-true strategies for planning around them).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RememberWhen

Thank you for the advice, everybody! My initial post was long and involved, and I really appreciate those who took the time to read it through, and help nudge me in the right direction.

After talking it over with my husband and kids, we decided to take your sage collective advice, and nix visiting WDW during our Universal vacation in February. We'll just enjoy some extra down time in and around Universal instead. I can tell it was the right decision, as all the stress and uncertainty associated with our upcoming trip instantly melted away as soon as we crossed WDW off of the itinerary. We'll hold onto our Disney comp tickets for a future visit in a couple of years -- one where there will be many more new things for us to enjoy (and hopefully the kinks of Genie+/ILL will either be worked out, or sufficiently well-known that there will be tried-and-true strategies for planning around them).
This seems like a good plan. But report on your universal trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom