Your Favorite Modern Country Artist

Which is your favorite modern country artist?

• Tim McGraw

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Brad Paisley

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Taylor Swift

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Blake Shelton

• Jason Aldean

• Miranda Lambert

• Dirks Bentley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rascal Flatts

• Lady Antebellum

• Keith Urban

• Total voters

Big C 73

Original Poster
Your Favorite: Modern Country Artist is a thread where you pick your favorite modern country artist. There's nothing like a country tune after a long day of work to relax to and hum along to. So sit back, get your self a glass of sweet tea and let the good times roll!

StarWarsGirl

I'm not a country fan, but I like Tay Swift. My school bus driver used to play it and I considered it torture unless Carrie Underwood or Taylor came on

Where is Carrie Underwood on this list? She's the other one I don't mind.

PUSH

From that list I'd choose Miranda Lambert, but I have several people over her. I'd take Sara Evans, Martina McBride, Kellie Pickler, etc over her.

And IMO Taylor Swift is not country. She is pop with a banjo in some of her songs.

MOXOMUMD

Not a country fan but......the only two I do like are not on this list. Where's Toby Keith and Kenny Chesney?

StarWarsGirl

I probably would listen to IASW on a loop for hours before I listened to modern country. Now old Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Flatt and Scruggs, Patsy Cline, bluegrass, I can do--my dad sang it all the time. (Honestly I don't know who half the people on that list are. :angelic:)
You mean guys who sang about how their wives left them and all they can do now is drink???:hungover:

real mad hatter

I probably would listen to IASW on a loop for hours before I listened to modern country. Now old Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Flatt and Scruggs, Patsy Cline, bluegrass, I can do--my dad sang it all the time. (Honestly I don't know who half the people on that list are. :angelic:)
Phew! Me too...One of my treasured photos is of me & Johnny Cash ( pic taken by his dad ) in September 1973.. It hangs proudly in my hall of fame music room..

prberk

You mean guys who sang about how their wives left them and all they can do now is drink???:hungover:

Hey @StarWarsGirl95 , I doubt you have really listened to the ones mentioned. Sometimes drinking came up, but among the ones listed, it's really more about life and faith. In the movie, "Ray," they asked Ray Charles why he was doing a country album, and why he liked country. He said, "Stories, man, stories." In most of the genuine country music that @MOXOMUMD is referencing, it's stories and tunes that evoke real life especially for many rural folks or the working man.

Many of the artists listed came from poverty. Many also can be traced back to the mountain music that people made to pass the time before the Carter Family of Virginia put it on record. Songs full of stories -- some of faith, some of heartbreak, and some of fun. Johnny Cash, who married a Carter family descendant (June), carried on the tradition. And Flatt and Scruggs also came from the mountains nearby. All sang songs of faith, right along with songs of heartbreak and celebration. Patsy Cline was also from the mountains of Virginia, and sang ballads of faith and heartbreak and love -- real life!

Check out their songs. I like "Keep on the Sunny Side," a Carter song performed by The Whites (lead singer of which is Ricky Skaggs' wife) on the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. Johnny Cash of course had his troubles, but he knew the common man. On the same album where he sang "Folsom Prison" live to the inmates, he sang songs of faith and told his story.

I guess my point is that country has a rich tapestry, and is much better when it taps into real life. Some modern artists do that. The modern cookie-cutter hits about partying will come and go, but there are artists who reach deep into the soul and touch it along the way. A good modern artist can do that. Brad Paisley is an awesome guitar player, and does some crowd-pleaser party songs; but he also sings songs that have depth and meaning. Check out "Too Country," "When I Get Where I'm Going," "The Old Rugged Cross," and "Southern Comfort Zone".

Other artists that are great on their own, and understand both old and new influences, are Vince Gill (esp. "Go Rest High on That Mountain" and "Look at Us"), Marty Stuart, Alan Jackson, Dierks Bentley, Martina McBride, Patti Loveless, Rhonda Vincent, Suzy Bogguss, and Carrie Underwood (esp. "Jesus Take the Wheel" and "How Great Thou Art").

Check any of them out.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Hey @StarWarsGirl95 , I doubt you have really listened to the ones mentioned. Sometimes drinking came up, but among the ones listed, it's really more about life and faith. In the movie, "Ray," they asked Ray Charles why he was doing a country album, and why he liked country. He said, "Stories, man, stories." In most of the genuine country music that @MOXOMUMD is referencing, it's stories and tunes that evoke real life especially for many rural folks or the working man.

Many of the artists listed came from poverty. Many also can be traced back to the mountain music that people made to pass the time before the Carter Family of Virginia put it on record. Songs full of stories -- some of faith, some of heartbreak, and some of fun. Johnny Cash, who married a Carter family descendant (June), carried on the tradition. And Flatt and Scruggs also came from the mountains nearby. All sang songs of faith, right along with songs of heartbreak and celebration. Patsy Cline was also from the mountains of Virginia, and sang ballads of faith and heartbreak and love -- real life!

Check out their songs. I like "Keep on the Sunny Side," a Carter song performed by The Whites (lead singer of which is Ricky Skaggs) on the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. Johnny Cash of course had his troubles, but he knew the common man. On the same album where he sang "Folsom Prison" live to the inmates, he sang songs of faith and told his story.

I guess my point is that country has a rich tapestry, and is much better when it taps into real life. Some modern artists do that. The modern cookie-cutter hits about partying will come and go, but there are artists who reach deep into the soul and touch it along the way. A good modern artist can do that. Brad Paisley is an awesome guitar player, and does some crowd-pleaser party songs; but he also sings songs that have depth and meaning. Check out "Too Country," "When I Get Where I'm Going," "The Old Rugged Cross," and "Southern Comfort Zone".

Other artists that are great on their own, and understand both old and new influences, are Vince Gill (esp. "Go Rest High on That Mountain" and "Look at Us"), Marty Stuart, Alan Jackson, Dierks Bentley, Martina McBride, Patti Loveless, Rhonda Vincent, Suzy Bogguss, and Carrie Underwood (esp. "Jesus Take the Wheel" and "How Great Thou Art").

Check any of them out.
I just listened to a bit of a Johnny Cash song. I understand that country has its influences and that the lyrics in the songs often mean something. Elvis created rock by mixing country and gospel. But pure country...I'm just not wild about the sound. There's a reason I don't go into Country Bears at WDW. The sound does not agree with me (neither do the drinking and ho hum lyrics or many of the songs I've heard) same as opera, heavy metal, or rap. It's partially the vocals (even Taylor Swift does a lot stylistically that sounds wrong to me). I do listen to Carrie Underwood, but not all of her stuff appeals to me. Nothing against those of you who like that country twang, but I'll stick to Aerosmith, Tay Swift, Selena Gomez and Kelly Clarkson

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom