Pre-Trip Your country just turned 150 - what are you going to do? I AM GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!!!

Hello All

As the title suggest the Max family is going back to Disneyland:):):):)

(I know the country birthday thing doesn't make sense but if Superbowl MVPs can go to Disneyland - so can I !!)

upload_2017-7-26_22-11-2.png

High level plan:
Arrive on Saturday August 26, spend 4 days at DLR, then drive to San Diego for 4 days of relaxation and beach time!!

( A ginger on a beach - Lobster time!!)

So before I go into the details I want to take the time to tag some of the wonderful people on this board who have been so nice to me.

You put up with my bad jokes, sarcasm, really bad puns, typing errors and apparently love watching me lose discussion board fights with @Tuvalu

So here comes the list (in no particular order) - I hope I was able to get everyone

@LisaBelle @RedNoseMickey @abzoo @samantha788 @Kiwiduck @Sheriff Woody @Tuvalu @TrolleyFollower91 @Woodywrkr @Zipitidoda @MinnieM123 @bee @wdisney9000 @Courtney6682 @DisneyBound2017 @Laurenciaa @Vivian_apfm @Plowboy @Missy_May @dmatt87 @blgauger @becca_ @PacNWTigger @ajrwdwgirl @Doc Disney @DonnaOnTheRocks @Mr Ferret 88 @fractal @Swissmiss @dizfan917 @Ciara @Songbird76 @TheMouseFan @littleroo @dddisney @prfctlyximprct @Princess Leia @stephmax975 @MiniMax @LadyBelle @21stamps @joshsprincess921 @gdisneyfans @mlegerto @Second Star to the Right @luvinthemajik @MySmallWorldof4 @Monty @Matty30 @Jess G @myhappyplace @gwhb75 @*Flynnderella* @Jae99 @disneyshe @lostpro9het

More details to follow - stay tuned

Hang on to your hats and glasses cuz this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness

Max

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Count the Tuvalu family as members of the Disneyland 50th in 2005 club! :happy:
(Woody and I were there for the 40th too. Em and I wanted to go for the 60th but it didn't work out.)
Looking forward to your TR.
I glad you caught the 40th because my oldest was 1 and my youngest was -1 so I was not able to make it.

The Max family did the 60th at Christmas in 2015 so we covered for you.

So it is obvious to me that we should start planning the Tuvalu - Max combined family trip for the 70th!!!

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
More details - but not all
(@Tuvalu is teaching me how to tease the audience to keep them in suspense)

Logistics:
We fly out on YYZ (Toronto Pearson Airport) on Sat Aug 26 at 8:30
A direct flight to San Diego and we land at 10:30 am PT ( 5 hour flight - 3 hour time zone change).

Rental car and a quick lunch (probably Subway - C is allergic to Soy and finding a quick meal that she can eat is tough)

With Customs, Bag Claim, Rental , lunch and drive we hope to make it to DLR between 1:30 and 2:00pm
(@BDL I need your help to confirm this sort of thing - I assumed 1.5 hours to get out of the airport and eat and then 1.5-2 hour drive time)

And our destination you ask???

A good neighbor hotel??
upload_2017-7-30_21-9-12.png

Nope!

Paradise Pier
upload_2017-7-30_21-8-23.png

Have never stayed there so why start now?

The Disneyland Hotel???
184.JPG

Not this time

Then where will we stay???
upload_2017-7-30_21-11-47.png

(not my picture before you ask)
HOME SWEET HOME!!
The Grand Californian Hotel and Spa

As I mentioned earlier this is trip number 10 to Walt's park.
In the nine previous we have called this spot home 4 times
(so this trip will make 5 and that means 50% - sorry, I know - no one said there would be math)

We have stayed 2 times at the Disneyland hotel (but before the Monorail pool modification - that was taken when we went to Goofy's Kitchen in 2015) and we have stayed offsite 3 times.

But once you go to paradise it is really hard to not go back.
The hotel is actually inside DCA (Disney California Adventure - park #2 -opened in 2001).
We pay extra for this hotel and even more extra to get a balcony looking out over the park.
This one was from 2012
P1050608.JPG

and these are from 2010
IMG_7504.JPG
IMG_7505.JPG

and 2008
P1000419.JPG

P1000421.JPG

We will stay here till Wednesday Aug 30 and then check out and drive back to San Diego

But Max, San Diego is a pretty big city - Do you have a place to stay?

Oh we do, yes we do.......

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Looking forward to your report! I so want to go back to Disneyland but don't know if I could get the rest of my family to go with me. :( I loved San Diego so much too. That is where I spent most of my short trip to California. You will have to share some photos of that as well! I loved the different color stones on the beach. So different from the beaches in the southeast. Happy planning! I am jealous.. lol
T loves San Diego and has been reminding me for over 4 years that we have not been back for awhile.
My favorite non Disney city is San Francisco. We have not been there since 2010 but I have yet to convince her to go back.
I will take pics from both DLR and SD - but only on an iPhone - I do not possess the camera equipment or skill of @sheriffwoody .

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Following along. I absolutely LOVE Disneyland and DCA. There is just something so special about that place! We hope to hope to go back in 2019 which is so long to wait:(.
I am glad you are following and if my report can help bridge the gap between now and 2019 then your welcome.

(just think - you might get one of the first looks at the new Star Wars land!! - get your geek on!!)

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm excited to read this! I've never been to Disneyland (the horror!) and I'm DYING to go. Been to wdw many times but haven't made the trip out west just yet
Well depending on where you are it probably will cost more than a trip to WDW.
The Disney portion might be less ( you can do most of it in 3 days) and then have time to explore sunny SoCal.
For us the plane flight is usually an extra 150 per person

But, (and it is a big but)

Note: That is but with only 1 T (keep it PG out there - #babygotback)

Disneyland is Walt's park - He put his heart and soul into it (and every penny he and Roy had or could borrow)
It opened in 1955 and his opening address is priceless and timeless.

upload_2017-7-30_22-14-54.png

As most know he left us in 1966 ( I was a baby at the time).
Although he was involved in the land purchase and early planning he never set foot in an operating Florida park.

So the history, the magic and the nostalgia that you feel as you walk under the railroad tracks, see sleeping beauty's castle and look up at the fire house is real

And hits hard.

Max

becca_

Following! You can count "almost Canada" in your check list, Buffalo counts - right?

I haven't been to Disneyland in a while and I reallyyyy want to go back, but it is more expensive than WDW so I'm gonna have to wait until I classify as a "real adult" to go, but at least I can look at your pictures & live through you!

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Following! You can count "almost Canada" in your check list, Buffalo counts - right?

I haven't been to Disneyland in a while and I reallyyyy want to go back, but it is more expensive than WDW so I'm gonna have to wait until I classify as a "real adult" to go, but at least I can look at your pictures & live through you!
Hello neighbor!!
Of course Buffalo counts!!

Same up the pennies and head west when you can!!!

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Isn't that great!!!! Our US friends will never know the joy we feel when the $ hits anything close to $.80.

Thanks for the tag. Have fun in California
You are so right
Back in 2008 ish we had an American on loan to our plant from Kentucky
Normally they make off like bandits when they work up here and still get paid in US dollars
He was not fairing so well with our dollar at or even above par

Older graph but you get the point
upload_2017-7-30_22-33-29.png

Will do my best to have fun - your family has a trip coming up right?
I have not seen any updates on your PTR for awhile though ( hint hint)

Max

gwhb75

You are so right
Back in 2008 ish we had an American on loan to our plant from Kentucky
Normally they make off like bandits when they work up here and still get paid in US dollars
He was not fairing so well with our dollar at or even above par

Older graph but you get the point
View attachment 219515
Will do my best to have fun - your family has a trip coming up right?
I have not seen any updates on your PTR for awhile though ( hint hint)

Max
I remember all too well the mid $.60 dollar last year, mainly because we had to pay our DVC dues right at the time the dollar hit the low point.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom