You sure Disney isn't a Museum?

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
–noun a building or place where works of art, scientific specimens, or other objects of permanent value are kept and displayed.

[Origin: 1605–15; < L mūséum place sacred to the Muses, building devoted to learning or the arts (referring esp. to the scholarly institute founded in Alexandria about 280 b.c.) < Gk Mouseǐon, equiv. to Moûs(a) Muse + -eion suffix of place]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Ok hear me out. :wave:

People say "Disneyland/ Walt Disney World aren't meant to, shouldn't be...museums :eek:"

Are you sure they aren't already?

Many Museums have permanent collections. These would be the classic rides, especially at Disneyland. Over the years various Museum's permanent collections might change a little, or even go through art restoration....this would be the enchanted tiki room, or some of the new haunted mansion tweeking, the refurbed it's a small world in Florida in 2005, Disneyland's new Space Mountain, etc

Sometimes classic artwork gets reproduced in the spirit of the original i.e. Disneyland Fantasyland refurb 1983, the submarine voyage which preserved a generous portion of old elements, while still making new elements and moving forward.

Then you have changing and temporary exhibitions...this would be the various trends in tomorrowland or the shops on main street.

Some museums even do various campaigns or promotions....this would be Disney's various celebrations over the years

There are occasional ceremonies done at the museums over the years, or even events such as Disney's changing parades and fireworks shows, or Disneyland's fantasmic, which has been plussed and enhanced in the spirit of the original show. :wave:

So if museums display artwork, and Disney parks themselves are a work of art and design, than I don't see how it is problem that if Disney keeps changing and enhancing fireworks and parades over the years, brings new campaigns, new merchandise, new restaurants, hotels, promotions, etc that the classic rides such as Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room, enhanced with 21st century technology and not disney characters, can still entertain each generation, while temporary and changing exhibits such as mission to mars, the circlevision films can allow space for new things to see and do. :wave:

It's the Walt Disney Museum of Magic! :lol:

slappy magoo

i have a head, eyes, nose , and mouth, I have arms & legs & a keister & a heart & a brain.

Just like pretty much all men.

Heck, just like pretty much all women.

Therefore all men are women & all women are men.

Any differences 'twixt the two should be ignored, or else my theory might not make sense :)

jsdratm

Disney is a company founded on art and technological innovation and it continues to use those in all of its films and attractions, but I think it would be difficult to convince people that its theme parks are museums. While they may contain small museums, like the China art exhibits in Epcot, their main purpose is to provide rides, shows, and dining. I think it would corrupt the term museum to start referring to theme parks like Disney's as museums. The main difference, I think, is that a museum's main purpose is generally education, whereas Disney's Magic Kingdom, for example, is clearly focused on entertaining people and has little educational value.

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
I'm not saying Disney should market their parks as museums but when people say "no Disney isn't meant to be a museum" they say nothing changes at museums when things do in fact change at museums.

There are very few people who are opposed to all change at WDW.....a certain bear that freaked out about balloons and fountains would take the cake for that.

But there are those of us (Myself included) that are fine with change on general terms....new fireworks, parades, shows, restaurants, hotels, merchandise, celebrations ,etc.

But does every single thing have to change at a disney park, and if so how, or cant the classics entertain generations to come with modern technology enhancements like the enchanted tiki room has done in california since its refurb or florida and californian's haunted mansion , etc...or an it's a small world....with no disney characters :rolleyes:

Then they coexist rather than are replaced by new changing exhibits if you will...american idol...highschool musical....toy story replacing millionare, etc

The ironic thing is that Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom.....Disneyland itself....had an emphasis in education/science while entertaining people without really knowing they were being educated.

sublimesting

You're looking at it too narrowly. By that definition an office building, a school, my house, etc. is all a museum. Museums are collections of artifacts that are to be observed and maintained for future observation as mementos to the past. Disney is a working theme park with attractions that, while some are older, are currently in use. What is not wanted in terms of being a museum is keeping an outdated attraction for the sake of keeping it to be a momento to the past.

yankspy

I would agree that WDW is not a museum I do think that there is a large emphasis on learning at times. If you think about it, even MK has education hidden behind entertainment. Frontierland and it's connection with Mark Twain. Liberty square has historical value. Even rides such as Hm have many hidden references to Poe's short stories.

Kamikaze

You are missing the point of the museum statement.

They are saying that don't want it to be like a display in a museum. Never changing, never updating, etc. Such as a display of a mummy. Always the same, inside the case.

jakeman

Wow a semantics discussion...

Does this mean the progrssive group won since the argument is now splitting hairs over th definition of museum? :)

yankspy

You are missing the point of the museum statement.

They are saying that don't want it to be like a display in a museum. Never changing, never updating, etc. Such as a display of a mummy. Always the same, inside the case.

I addressed the museum statement in my first line by saying that it was not one. I was refering to the notion that wdw was strictly for entertainment purposes. :wave:

Jerm

MUSEUM –noun a building or place where works of art, scientific specimens, or other objects of permanent value are kept and displayed.

MUSEUM- a place that makes no money and people only go to when on field trips with schools or once every few years when they have nothing else to do.

Disneyland/Walt Disney World are theme parks. A theme park is a concept thought of in 1955 by Walt Disney.

"Disneyland is like a piece of clay, if there is something I don't like, I'm not stuck with it. I can reshape and revamp."

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

"The idea of Disneyland is a simple one. It will be a place for people to find happiness and knowledge. It will be a place for parents and children to share pleasant times in one another's company; a place for teachers and pupils to discover greater ways of understanding and education. Here the older generation can recapture the nostalgia of days gone by, and the younger generation can savor the challenge of the future. Here will be the wonders of Nature and Man for all to see and understand. Disneyland will be based upon and dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and hard facts that have created America. And it will be uniquely equipped to dramatize these dreams and facts and send them forth as a source of courage and inspiration to all the world. Disneyland will be sometimes a fair, an exhibition, a playground, a community center, a museum of living facts, and a showplace of beauty and magic. It will be filled with accomplishments, the joys and hopes of the world we live in. And it will remind us and show us how to make these wonders part of our own lives."

"Disneyland will always be building and growing and adding new things new ways of having fun, of learning things and sharing the many exciting adventures which may be experienced here in the company of family and friends."

All of those are from Walt about the parks being the ever changing place it is/should be.

yankspy

MUSEUM- a place that makes no money and people only go to when on field trips with schools or once every few years when they have nothing else to do.

Museums actually make a ton of money. The Smithsonian's endowment is around a billion dollars right now. And people visit them more than once every few years. Just try visiting D.C. during the summer.:wave:

Jerm

Museums actually make a ton of money. The Smithsonian's endowment is around a billion dollars right now. And people visit them more than once every few years. Just try visiting D.C. during the summer.:wave:

I would say overall most museums are not big draws, unless they happen to be major ones such as the Smithsonian. I know most of the ones here in Ca 5 out of 7 days of the week are almost empty.

sublimesting

I would say overall most museums are not big draws, unless they happen to be major ones such as the Smithsonian. I know most of the ones here in Ca 5 out of 7 days of the week are almost empty.

Pittsburgh has an awesome museum! One of the world's largest dinosaur collections too.

Chase24

Second on Pittsburgh's Museum

Also, another Walt quote:

"I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained."
Walt Disney

Let's go Pitt:wave:

yankspy

Perhaps, and I am not comparing disney and the smithsonian either.However, it is a bit much to suggest that people go to museums every couple of years or when they have nothing else to do as if it is a last resort.:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom