You Hate Everything About It, Yet You Still Go

copcarguyp71

I wonder if this is a cyclical thing- people visit Walt Disney world in the '70s or '80s as children, grow up and figure out that companies are in the business of making money, decide that the parks aren't as amazing as they were when they were kids (and weren't having to pay for the own tickets) and become disgusted with the whole thing.

Then, they have kids, decide to try bringing them to Disney, and learn to love it again...

Of course we see things differently as adults...I stopped eating lucky charms and started taking showers daily at some point too:D

But I would issue a counterpoint that if the parents are the ones paying (and the ones noticing increasing issues) that at some point Disney simply will not be uttered in the household as a possibility for vacation and then that will be that. We all love our kids there is no doubt about it and at some point or another we end up "taking one for the team" to keep them happy but at the rising cost of a vacation to the world our household sadly reached its' breaking point.

Mark In KY

Constructive criticism is one thing, but I read a lot of, "I am never going to WDW again" also. I have owned 2 Chrysler products in my life and both were pieces of junk. I will never buy one again. And therefore you don't find me logging in on "Chrysler fan sites".

That's the part I don't understand. Those of you who wish/hope/dream that WDW will "improve" but still go are one thing, but those of you who say that you'll never go again; why are you on a "WDW fan site"? Do you think that WDW management will read your posts and "change" so that you'll go back?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
The place is an exceptionally run theme park since it is the most popular resort in the world. No one can argue that, regardless of one's opinions.
Actually, I AM going to argue that. It's an exceptionally run business. An exceptionally run money-machine. An exceptionally run financial institution. It stopped being an exceptionally run theme park some time ago.

Disneyhead'71

I agree with you. Thank you for posting this thread.

I joined this forum because I love Disney World. I don't understand why people who hate it don't just join a Universal Studios forum.
I am actually a correspondent at Orlando United, the webs #1 site for Universal News and Rumors.
Constructive criticism is one thing, but I read a lot of, "I am never going to WDW again" also. I have owned 2 Chrysler products in my life and both were pieces of junk. I will never buy one again. And therefore you don't find me logging in on "Chrysler fan sites".

That's the part I don't understand. Those of you who wish/hope/dream that WDW will "improve" but still go are one thing, but those of you who say that you'll never go again; why are you on a "WDW fan site"? Do you think that WDW management will read your posts and "change" so that you'll go back?
So you owned a grand total of 2 Chryslers and they both sucked. But what if you owned 6 Chryslers and the first 4 were awesome with 3 of them being tied as your favorite cars ever but the last 2 you bought sucked harder than you ever believed Chrysler could?

draybook

I joined this forum because I love Disney World. I don't understand why people who hate it don't just join a Universal Studios forum.

You're mistaking hate for passion. Most of the people here that criticize TDO do so because the resort standards are falling by the wayside in favor of fattening people's pockets. I've only been going since 2008 and even I can see declines in standards and quality. Imagine how those who have been going for 10-20 years must feel.

Oh, and there's a Universal forum here as well so there's the best of both worlds.

Since1976

I think there is the possibility that the little annoyances add up and perhaps alter one's plans.

For example, I love going to the movies, but the increasing hassles and guest rudeness have me really considering whether a certain movie is worth the big screen experience or not. But I'll still go occasionally.

With Disney, it would take a major, visible change in customer service, cleanliness and/or ride upkeep to have me reconsider taking a trip there. But hey, these very issues stopped me from being a Wal-Mart customer basically cold turkey, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that some bad decisions by the powers-that-be at Disney make a trip to WDW a "maybe" rather than a "definitely."

Mark In KY

You're mistaking hate for passion. Most of the people here that criticize TDO do so because the resort standards are falling by the wayside in favor of fattening people's pockets. I've only been going since 2008 and even I can see declines in standards and quality. Imagine how those who have been going for 10-20 years must feel.

Oh, and there's a Universal forum here as well so there's the best of both worlds.
You and Horse offer constructive criticism rather than blatant ads for Uni. But, you do occasionally fall into the "fattening people's pockets" trap. Ultimately, Disney is a publicly traded corporation whose primary mandate and mission is to return a profit to the shareholders. Disney stock has consistently done this for decades, not only returning dividends but splitting numerous times, including a 4 for 1 in 1986 and 3 for 1 in 1998. WDW is now a global destination (oh those pesky, bare-bottomed Brazilians!!) that brings billions of dollars to the central FL region and it is not a coincidence that Uni chose to cash in on this already available tourist trade by building in Orlando as opposed to some other location in FL, or TX for that matter.

ChevisMickey

With Disney, it would take a major, visible change in customer service, cleanliness and/or ride upkeep to have me reconsider taking a trip there. But hey, these very issues stopped me from being a Wal-Mart customer basically cold turkey, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that some bad decisions by the powers-that-be at Disney make a trip to WDW a "maybe" rather than a "definitely."

Some of those shirtless, shoeless kids still enjoy the "Walmart Cartstormers" ride despite always having that one pesky wheel that wobbles and sticks! I think I would now rank 'Walmart' below Six Flags in the theme park heirarchy the maintenance has become so lax.

Runmyhorse

Actually I think there is a uni part on this forum site. Listed maybe as other parks or something

WDWLOYAL1971

I don't go looking for things to gripe about, they manifest themselves after you've been a few times. I can only imagine how people feel that have been going since the place opened in 71.

I'm one of the ones that have been going since 1971. Yes, many if not all aspects of WDW has changed dramatically. I remember Disney priding themselves on the white glove treatment. Oh was it beautiful. They made every guest feel valued and important, they showed you how happy they were to have you there. However, I feel that people taking advantage of Disney bending over backwards for their guest may have contributed greatly to the changes that most just aren't happy with. Yes, the corporate greed that has developed in WDW is just staggering. To think that in 1990 a Florida Resident annual pass was $100.00, heck, that's less than the current price of a one day admin ticket with tax (give or take a dollar or so). When you pay such a high price, from the admission, to the resorts and beyond, clearly the not so perfect things will pop out at you because you expect more. There are several aspects of WDW that I am not pleased with, but it is also my choice to continue going. It is my happy place. I have learned overlook many things mainly because I pretty much have accepted that I am no longer paying for an experience but a resort and theme park tickets, the rest is up to me. I have complained in the past but I guess I have also grown with the changes or at least I am trying to.

copcarguyp71

I have never been to Universal...nor do I care to (my own thing...nobody needs to agree). My malaise for Disney stems from going there since 1977 and starting in 2006 I began my downward spiral of satisfaction. Like others have said I do not hate Disney nor do I come on here to spew trolling venomous hatred but quite to the contrary...I hope beyond hope that someday we will see a renewed sense of purpose and revitalized feeling of vigor within the parks. Until Disney execs realize that there needs to be a balance between shareholder dividends and the happiness of the people within the parks then this will probably continue to be a site where people who once loved WDW vent their dissatisfaction.

Mark In KY

And as long as the value hotels fill up (be it with bare bottomed Brazilians or thong bikini wearing cheerleaders) and as long as WDWMagic continues to report the days that MK has hit capacity, "Disney execs" will conclude that things are just fine.

Disney Corp. is a lot more than WDW and WDW is a lot more than a "theme/amusement" park.

disneyflush

I come here to find one sliver of hope that the theme park will improve in the manner I am looking to see. There are people that defend everything in the same manner that some people bash everything. Just be yourself. If you want to spout rainbows and lullabyes go ahead and do it. If someone else wants to spound vitriol then they can do so. Not everyone wants to be a lemming that is staked to one side.

Mark In KY

I come here to find one sliver of hope that the theme park will improve in the manner I am looking to see. There are people that defend everything in the same manner that some people bash everything. Just be yourself. If you want to spout rainbows and lullabyes go ahead and do it. If someone else wants to spound vitriol then they can do so. Not everyone wants to be a lemming that is staked to one side.
There are things that NEED to be improved, there are things that COULD be improved. There are things that are perfect, there are things that are merely adequate. There are things that are gone and NEVER coming back (in spite of all the angst). Prices are NEVER going to decrease. There will ALWAYS be something new to experience for even the most prolific regular. And people who make their first trip will find it ALL new and unless they've done a lot of research will never know about (let alone complain about) the demise of The Adventurers' Club, Horizons, cable cars, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Pavilion Of Life, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Sorcery In The Sky, Empress Lily, Captain Jack's, Alien Encounter, and a plethora of guest/audience participation attractions that used to exist in MGM Studios.

I think bad experiences out-weight good ones simply because they have a way of becoming more memorable. A person's trip might be going peachy, but one bad experience might ruin the entire thing.
After paying so much money, a cast member being curt with a guest, or the water pressure in the restrooms being low are seemingly petty inconveniences that can really add up. Add small kids, high prices, crowds and heat and the pressure goes up by 500%

Imagine you have a plain white sketchbook, with the pages still intact, but with dozens of hands handling it. One goes into the parks with very high expectations, and with good reason. But having a good time means letting go of somethings and realizing that there are things beyond our control.
:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom