Yikes! Giant spider at AKL! Tell me it's plastic!

75disney

Not to freak you out or anything, but I do remember my sister (a CM) getting bit by a brown recluse at the MK Child Care Center years ago. She worked in Guest Relations in the MK and went into the back of a storage closet to get something and got bit. She never saw what bit here but when her arm started to swell up, she went to the doctor. He said it looked like a recluse bite and treated her for it.

So... I guess there are spiders at Disney World. They fit in really nice to the decorations at this time of year!

StarWarsGirl

Being serious now: Spiders have never been an issue at WDW. I see more at home than at WDW (I once got bit by a recluse; it was not pretty). Now if you have a fear of lizards...bees are the other issue, especially around the mug stations outdoors. And around the Y/B pool

HouCuseChickie

While I haven't seen any pics or stories of said AKL spider, FL is home to quite a few large spider varieties. As a person who has a strong fear of spiders, I can say that the best thing to do is to try and put the whole idea out of your mind. I know- easier said than done, but I lived in FL from 1991-1997 and now live in Texas. I'd go mad if I allowed myself to think about all of the large arachnids that "could" be lurking in my yard. I know it can be scary, but it's not worth letting the possibility of a spider put a damper on your vacay.

real mad hatter

Yer lucky you don't live in Scotland..Theres a wee island of the west coast called Soay where there lives the Haggis Spider..:eek:..If it bites you,and you don't get treatment within one hour...Well we all know the outcome.:jawdrop:..

Jacquellie

Original Poster
Yer lucky you don't live in Scotland..Theres a wee island of the west coast called Soay where there lives the Haggis Spider..:eek:..If it bites you,and you don't get treatment within one hour...Well we all know the outcome.:jawdrop:..
Well then you'll understand my fears RMH - the Haggis Spider is one reason why I live on mainland Scotland. There are incidents of the beasties jumping on the ferry from Soay, but luckily I've never seen one.
In the supermarket I always buy haggis in ones, not in bunches, just in case there's a haggis spider hiding in there. I'm sure you have the same rule - only buy a haggis if you can see all the way round it.

real mad hatter

Well then you'll understand my fears RMH - the Haggis Spider is one reason why I live on mainland Scotland. There are incidents of the beasties jumping on the ferry from Soay, but luckily I've never seen one.
In the supermarket I always buy haggis in ones, not in bunches, just in case there's a haggis spider hiding in there. I'm sure you have the same rule - only buy a haggis if you can see all the way round it.
;)...Aye Lassie..Spot on...LOL...

LucyK

And that picture just gave me the willies. I don't care it it's harmless, I don't care if it's eating the bugs that also gives me the creeps, I'll totally faint if I see one up close and personal.

HouCuseChickie

OK- that pic officially freaked me out. I know - I know...it's just a picture. It reminds me of the banana spiders that used to camp out in the far side of the yard over by the side door to the lanai...otherwise known as "the door I did my best to avoid." :cautious: I guess at least they never found their way in the house...unlike the massive black ones that adored our bathroom, pool, and porch light. The weavers like the one pictured above also have fairly prominent webs and stand out even more if they do the zig-zag "message" writing you sometimes see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom